Author Topic: Brown Paper Gaskets  (Read 11898 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Brown Paper Gaskets
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2014, 10:52:41 PM »
Guessing she means one of these John, though I would expect a more modern version :)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2014, 10:53:39 PM »
But then again google did turn up the following image as well. Sorry Jo, couldn't pass this up...

Offline bp

• Adelaide, SA
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2014, 11:41:05 PM »
A long time ago on a design course, the lecturer said words to the effect "The only reason you use a gasket is to reduce costs.  Using a gasket means that you cannot or will not afford to finish the joint by machining or hand work"
Obviously he trying to make us think, but what do others think?
cheers
Bill

Offline John S

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2014, 11:57:21 PM »
Bill.
There is not doubting that statement if everything is equal but design also rears it's head.
Take a typical 1950's 60's primary chain cover on the average motorcycle, a nice pleasing shape, two arcs joined by two tangential
lines.

One central nut and washer holding the front to the back. There is no way that this design will seal without a gasket an 17 pounds of gorilla snot, I don't care how much finishing you throw at it.

Had a pump in the other day oblong flange plate with a bolt at 3 corners, because of the design and shape of the inlet housing the other corner could not have a bolt.

So it's not always the guy on the end of the spanners.
John Stevenson, Nottingham , England

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2014, 11:58:15 PM »
A long time ago on a design course, the lecturer said words to the effect "The only reason you use a gasket is to reduce costs.  Using a gasket means that you cannot or will not afford to finish the joint by machining or hand work"
Obviously he trying to make us think, but what do others think?
cheers
Bill

IMHO it depends to a large extent the medium you are trying to seal off and the damage which can be done to the joint faces should it start to leak.

e.g. It's much easier, (and safer), to replace a spiral wound gasket than to try and reface a flange cut by HP superheated steam.

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2014, 02:17:17 AM »
I've had a few machines over the years, some leaked regardless of gasketing, some didn't. When I rebuilt my 50 year old  Ducati bevel-drive motorcycle it had no gaskets between the pressure-cast cases, and never leaked, anything, ever. Things were made with precision, utilizing high quality materials and methods.
Mosey

Offline bp

• Adelaide, SA
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2014, 02:27:37 AM »
JS and Maryak
I agree with what you say absolutely.  I think what the lecturer was trying to say was to think about what you are doing, especially with primary chaincases!  I once had the great pleasure of owning, at different times, a 1957 Triumph T100, and a 1964 Norton 650SS both of which required a gasket (in the case of the Norton a huge great big specially moulded monster) they both required care, attention, gorilla snot and a little magic to make them seal!
Mind you Hylomar works wonders as well!
cheers
Bill

Offline IanR

• Derby, UK
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2014, 11:46:28 AM »
A standard go-faster mod, which I haven't tried -no point on a Panther- is to throw away the head gasket of your single cylinder motorcycle and lap the head and barrel joint.

Offline John S

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2014, 01:27:58 PM »
Might work on a panther Ian instead of the 17 sheets of roofing felt they fit as standard  :lolb:
John Stevenson, Nottingham , England

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal