Author Topic: home made runing center  (Read 1688 times)

Offline krv3000

home made runing center
« on: January 26, 2014, 01:07:22 AM »
hi all we all have them but 9 out of 10 its to big so i decided to mack my own tool tip I'm a fan of Wat we call in the UK boot sales i suppose in the USA their may be described as yard sales do not think of broken Morse taper drills as bin scrap the impotent bit is the taper yep you can mack your own but you can reuse them  broken ones the 0 to 3 Morse tapers are common if you look at one that has a drill bit in it say a No 1 Morse with a m6 drill you will see that the drill is silversolderd in and if you heat them up you can remove the broken drill this also applies to reamers to but on the larger ones the bottom part of the drill is soft and can be cut off with a hack saw it is with one of thees that I'm gowning too use first thing was to extend the end of the end a No2 Morse taper to hold the Bering's for the center so set it up in the lathe and turned dawn the end this bit ant important once that's dun mack a sleeve to go over the top then silversolder the two together once cold put back in the lathe and machine up you need to steppe the hole just for a reference say a 10mm hole 30mm deep then the hole for the Bering's a nuther 30mm deep by a OD of 25mm  as this was made sum time a go i can not remember the sises of the Bering's their is three in the one in the pic then you need once this has bin dun you need to mack the center it self out of silver steel turn the bottom so its a nice fit in to the 10mm hole the reason for this will cum to light later on then machine the next bit to fit in to the Bering's once that's dun turn the 60 degree angel on the front then heat treat it so its gnaw hard back to the taper drill and tap say m4 in the middle of the 10mm hole cleen the holder well and put the hole thing together with a cover ring on the front the hole that is in the holder is for regressing the Bering's and if the centerpoint ever needs dressing up you can use the grub screw to lock the center off and regrind the point

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
Re: home made runing center
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 05:50:47 AM »
Good work Bob, nicely done.

Cheers, Hugh.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal