Author Topic: Help for old, tired eyes  (Read 2149 times)

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
Help for old, tired eyes
« on: January 18, 2014, 08:30:54 PM »
I recently moved my Huot drill index to a drawer where, despite polishing the raised size markers, it's a bit difficult for my aging eyes to make out the sizes. 

As luck would have it, a recent tip email from Machinist's Workshop had a helpful suggestion.  For the fractional drills put everyone that's an integer multiple of 1/16 in point down.  Then it's easy to locate the one you want.  The integer multiples of 1/32 are midway between the upside-downs and the drills immediately next to them are plus and minus 1/64.

The email went on to suggest inverting every numbered drill that's an integer multiple of 5 and inverting the letter drills that correspond to the vowels.

My letter markings are large enough to see easily but the suggestions for the fractional and number drills appealed to me.  However, despite having a high personal anality quotient, I just know I'd forget and put the drills in right way around after use.

However, markings corresponding to the scheme are easy to do.  I used the white paint pen shown to put a dot by every n*5 number drill and by the n/16 fractionals.  Now it's much easier to find what I need without undue squinting.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 04:19:52 PM by mklotz »
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: Help for old, tired eyes
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 10:08:48 PM »
Thanks for that Marv!....I've noticed that my arms need to be longer, and the light fixtures in my shop are much dimmer than they used to be.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Bezalel

Re: Help for old, tired eyes
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 11:07:55 PM »
Great Idea Marv,  it beats digital mic-ing to get a bigger number displayed.

I don't know how to measure this observation, but I recon its not just the lights. Sometimes it seems the blokes using the tools in my shop are much dimmer than they used to be.    :ROFL:

Bez
Queensland - wet one day, humid the next

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal