Author Topic: BUILDING THE HEMINGWAY SPHERICAL TURNING TOOL  (Read 12641 times)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
BUILDING THE HEMINGWAY SPHERICAL TURNING TOOL
« on: January 17, 2014, 10:43:54 PM »
I had some time off today and decided to start the Spherical turning tool, that I had promised to do. So guys and gals we have a start on it. I started out by mading the arm, washer, and boss as these were just basic turning. However I did take some photos of the body and side arm being made since these are the most complicated parts to make. Enough of my chatter and on to the thread.  :slap:
I first started by draw filing the square body and then drilling the mounting holes for the side arm and the countersinks for the cap screws heads after squaring the two sided.

Next came the body which I mounted into the lathe with the four jaw chuck after faced it off on both sides then finished by draw filing all sides. While in the chuck I center drilled both ends just enough to be able to mount the body between centers. I then mounted the side arm into a quick change tool holder and squared it off to the body between centers. After which I clamps them together and removed from the lathe.

I then used my transfer punch to make out the holes. Mounted the body on the mill and used the wiggler to find the first punch mark. I drill all three holes to tapping size.

After drilling I mounted the body on to the Pillar Tool for tapping out the mounting holes and secured the side arm to it.

Ok! with that done it was back to the lathe and mounted to the quick change tool post to be bored between centers. It is important the these operation be done between centers for the tool to work properly. I started the first hole with a 17/64 drill bit and being careful to pull the drill in and out to remove the swarf, but even with all my efforts the bit broke inside the body.   :cussing: So I flipped the body around and drill it with a bigger bit till it hit the broken bit. Dulled my bit of coarse, I then removed it and knocked the broken bit out with a punch.   :whoohoo: After taking a deep breathe.  :facepalm:

I then progressed with bigger bits using the tail stock for support.

To get the final dimenision of .75 I used the boring bar.

The parts completed thus far. Oh! I also press the body bushing in also.

And the parts assembled and mounted to the tool post.

That is all for now and if I can sneek some more time in I will have more progress to report.
Thanks for looking.

Don
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 10:47:40 PM by Don1966 »

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
Re: BUILDING THE HEMINGWAY SPHERICAL TURNING TOOL
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 11:57:32 PM »
Well, at least while you were fluffing off on the clock you got something done :lolb:. Nice job Bro. I really like that pillar tool, you just keep tempting me with it. Now we have to have a brass ball for the handle on this one. Keep at it old pal. :ThumbsUp:

Whiskey

Offline Jim K 324

• Morgan Ciy, La. ( On the Atchafalaya River)
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 12:23:53 AM »

Nice piece of work buddy this thread seems like I seen it before , I guess the

bushings pressed in ok, now that the body that the bit broke in is finshed you can
               sleep well tonight.             

It's not what you make,It's how you make it that
matters !!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 03:36:19 AM »
Looking good my Brother!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 05:17:36 AM »
Nice work, Don.  Looks similar to a design I built a number of years ago.  Still use it whenever the need comes up for spherical shape.

Chuck

So many projects, so little time...

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 06:21:24 AM »
You are going to have it finished in no time.

Vince

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 08:33:11 AM »
Don

I have made one of these , but being me I altered the design a bit,

Instead of just putting a tongue on for locating in the tool holder I made a holder to fit the tool post but thin and bolted that on the body thus reducing overhang.

A point is that in a moment of madness I purchased a comersial one from Chronos call a Repton what a piece of junk chatter lots of metal sticking out from the chuck. The Hemmmingway one is 100% better
Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Online sco

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 09:00:04 AM »
Don,

I've built one of these a while back and remember what a headache it was drilling the hole in the body.  Don't get why its so important its done in the lathe?

Anyway nice work,

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline awJCKDup

• Central Indiana
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 03:58:23 PM »
Nice work Don. I also noticed that green tapping stand, any chance you have some pictures of it?

John

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 06:29:52 PM »
Thanks Eric, Dave, Jim, Chuck, Stuart and Vince for looking and you kind comments.

Don

I've built one of these a while back and remember what a headache it was drilling the hole in the body.  Don't get why its so important its done in the lathe?

Anyway nice work,

Simon.
Simon not really sure but from reading what G.H.T. Said about it that in order for it to cut a round sphere the unit had to be built keeping it at center line. Thanks for looking.
Don

Nice work Don. I also noticed that green tapping stand, any chance you have some pictures of it?

John
John you can check out my thread here  http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,2004.15.html

Thanks Don

Offline krv3000

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 08:38:43 PM »
well dun

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 09:46:03 PM »
Thanks for looking KVR3000.

Today the wife had some where to go so it was off to the shop and get some work done, at least so I thought. I didn't get as much done as I wanted and things just started going wrong from the start. I started working on the head. These following photos will explain what happen.
I first started by squaring off the ends and trimming to length. Then drilling out the center .25 hole and the .25 hole and .5 counter sink  hole for the nut.

I followed that up with spotting the side holes that will secure the dovetail pieces.

All the holes were then drilled to tapping size and all went well.

Then I started tapping the hole on the Pillar Tool being careful using cutting oil, rocking the tap back a forth and at mid tap of the hole, I pulled the tap out and cleaned it. On the last hole the tap just snapped at about 3/4 into the hole. I didn't apply much pressure to it, it just snapped. I take it as a fractured tape.

This is a fuzzy photo of the broken tape, it's the top hole.

I really don't know what to do with it other then remake the part. I thought about drilling a hole next to it and try to knock it out, then drill a bigger hole and put a plug.
At that point I just called it a day as I was disgusted.
Thanks for looking and I have to think about it for a while before I resume work on it.

Don

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 10:09:25 PM »

Don,

That looks like aluminum....if it is, you could try the old Alum trick to dissolve the tap.

If it's steel, you could try using s carbide PC drill ( very stubby) or short flute endmill and try cutting it out.

Nothing to lose.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 11:14:46 PM »
Hi Don,

Another way with steel is to heat the whole thing to bright red (ambient light) and then bury it in lime, (part size + 1" all round), for 12 hours. This anneals the HSS tap and then it can be drilled out with normal HSS drills.

Good luck with the removal.

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline krv3000

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2014, 11:27:13 PM »
hi don well their  is several ways to get the tap out one is to use a masonry drill bit you can by tap removing tools but i think in your case as the hole is drilled all the way threw just brake the tap up by hitting it with a dowel pin or Wat ever you can to brake it in to lil peaces and remove it that way

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2014, 06:22:04 AM »
Bummer of a deal Don :(

One thing someone recently suggested on the Taig list, quite similar to what krv3000 mentioned, is to spray the broken tap with freeze spray till it gets frosty, then hit it with a pin punch or an automatic center punch (what he recommended) and the tap should just shatter.  I've never tried it myself but it sounds reasonable.  And certainly seems worth a try before redoing the whole part!

Good luck Don!
Kim

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2014, 07:56:46 AM »
Don,

It is not as if it is a large difficult part that you have invested lots of time in  :shrug: so I would make a new one, it is probably quicker than trying to get that tap out  ;).

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2014, 08:42:33 AM »
If the polar vortex had come down as far as you, it could have been left outside for the freezing to occur. If you can't get it out without damaging the plate, then given the standard of your work I can see a remake happening. Bad luck!

Hugh.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2014, 11:03:52 PM »
Thanks Dave, Bob, Bob, Kim, Jo, Hugh for looking in and your kind suggestions. I guess Hugh and Jo knows me quiet well because I decided to remake the head.

I had some time today will awaiting job to restart. So I did manage to make the base without breaking a tap this time. I did buy a new tap to use even though I had some.
The first photo is the head all drilled and tapped ready to start the dovetails pieces.

After drilling the holes and counter bores I mounted the pieces to be dovetailed to the head with some packing to evulate them for cutting the dovetail without fouling the head.

With a sign of relief that it went well, this is the head all ready for the slide to be made.

Thanks for looking and I will continue If I get more time tomorrow.

Don

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2014, 11:27:48 PM »
I have more progress to report today. I managed to cut the dovetails into the slide.
I started by milling both sides to a depth of .3125" and cutting on each side till the middle tab was .71875". then flipped it over rised it with parallel to be able to pass the 60 degree dovetail on each side. I cut the dovetails till it was a sliding fit to the head.
Here I am cutting the top to width.

Flipped it over and cut the dovetails to a sliding fit.

This photo is the head and dovetail together.

Thats all I managed to get done for today and thanks for looking.

Don

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2014, 08:58:04 AM »
It is a very nice fit but I hate to be a kill joy  :embarassed: have you not forgot the gap for the gib strip?

Jo

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2014, 11:19:47 AM »
Hey Bud, I'm looking and learning. I had to go to YouTube and watch one in action to wrap my head around the way it works. That's one sweet piece :ThumbsUp: Steady as she goes and I'm watching from under the shade tree 8)

Y'all come see us,
Whiskey

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2014, 01:35:14 PM »
It is a very nice fit but I hate to be a kill joy  :embarassed: have you not forgot the gap for the gib strip?

Jo
Hi Jo, yes I had thought about that but the drawing don't show any.

Eric thanks my brother for watching.

Don

Online sco

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2014, 01:39:46 PM »
Weird - my drawing definitely showed a gib strip.  Without it the slide will get damaged as you need to lock the tool in use.

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2014, 01:44:52 PM »
if you put a brass pad on the clamp screw, it will work alright and not bugger anything up.
As the dovetail doesn't move under a cut, the lack of a gib shouldn't be an issue.   Keep it lubed...and a brass pad, and all is well.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2014, 01:56:31 PM »
Thanks Dave, the locking pad screw is brass.

Don

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2014, 12:34:50 AM »
Today I started by boring the .5" hole in the head and inserted the shaft and loctite and pinned it in place. I then assembled the shaft and head to the base securing it with boss and washer. I then mounted it to the lathe with the slide secured inside the head ready for boring.
I start by using the DTI to set the cross side true.

Using the square to set the side square to the drill bit.

Using the laser to find the split between the slide and base.

I secured the slide and shaft with brass screws and started drilling with .25" drill and increase to .3125" and drilled all the way through using the tailstock for support.

Continue with a .5" drill to depth and then used the slot drill to finish. Sorry about the fuzzy photo.
\

A look at the results after boring and not to bad I can take that.

When I had the head mounted to the lathe cross slide I scribed a line to find center of the slide. I then mounted it to the mill vise and drill the hole for the tool holder.

The tool assembled as is for now. I have to make the feedscrew and tool holders. Sorry this photo is kind of crappy.

thats it for now and thanks for looking.

Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2014, 12:58:52 AM »
You are making great progress Don. It's a nice looking tool and will make a nice addition in turning capability I am sure. Nice work my friend!!

Bill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2014, 01:47:21 AM »
Nice work Don!

Dave

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2014, 09:16:04 AM »
 :embarassed: I had to go and have a look at my one:  It also does not have a gib strip :headscratch: but it works ok - so long as you set it up correctly and sharpen the tool right  ;)

Jo

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2014, 10:21:37 AM »
Excellent set up Don.   It's not going to take long from here!

Can't wait to see the first ball handles popping off this little beasty!

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2014, 11:05:42 AM »
Don, how did you do the handles on the UPT? It does have ball handles, doesn't it...?

Hugh.

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2014, 07:37:00 PM »
Slicker than a minnow's --- (well you know) :LittleDevil:. I can't wait to see the Gulf Coast Bling now :ThumbsUp:. Damn good job Joe :DrinkPint:

Whiskey

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2014, 11:17:58 PM »
Thanks Bill, Jo, Dave Otto, Hugh, Dave and Eric for looking and commenting.

Today was a bad day for work its raining and the tempature is dropping and the roads are iceing up. So to pass the day I started by making the tool holders, the feedscrew and completing the tool.
I first turned the tool holder .5" shank diameter and moved it to the mill to drill the 7 degree off set hole. In this photo I used the collet block to secure the holder by the .5" shank and drilled and reamed the .25" hole for the tool. After which I mounted to the lathe to turn a taper on the front end.

Next was the feed screw which I didn't take any photo of turning it. It was turn to size and threaded to .25 x 40. Then mounted to the lathe with a piece of sand paper wrapped around it to cut a 45 degree taper across the face. Then mounted the Graduating tool to mark the 25 marks around the perimeter.

And a look at the graduations. It didn't come out to bad.

Now this photo is for my brothers Eric and Dave. Eric you wanted to see a ball turned for the handle, well here it is buddy and Dave you wanted to see it in action.

The ball completed and ready for parting from the parent stock.

A photo of the Spherical turning tool completely assembled. I need to take it apart a give it a good cleaning and polishing and then it will be complete.

Thanks to all for following and commenting it is much appreciated.

Don

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2014, 11:25:32 PM »
Outstanding Don!.........That works awesome!

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2014, 01:33:18 AM »
Now that's a nice Ball!!

Dave

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2014, 02:12:29 AM »
Wow, I took me a little siesta, woke up, and you is finished. Great job Don :ThumbsUp: :cheers:. And now it does have a proper ball handle made by it's self :Lol:

Whiskey

Online sco

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2014, 08:14:13 AM »
Don you ripped through that build and made it look so easy!  Nice work,

Simon
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2014, 11:57:01 AM »
Finished already!  And I thought you said you had not much time to dedicate to the ball turner. :ROFL:

Congrats, another tool finished.  I wish I was so fast on my builds.

Vince

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2014, 06:20:13 PM »
Thanks Eric, Dave, Simon and Vince for looking.

Finished already!  And I thought you said you had not much time to dedicate to the ball turner. :ROFL:

Congrats, another tool finished.  I wish I was so fast on my builds.

Vince
The job give me some breaks and I took advantage of it. Thanks Vince.

Don

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal