Author Topic: Workshop layout  (Read 11339 times)

Arbalest

Re: Workshop layout
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 10:19:34 PM »
Thanks Marv. The belt and disc sander is normally only used for tool sharpening. If I have needed to use it for wood it then needs a very thorough cleaning afterwards before I can use it for tool sharpening again due to the fire hazard.

This is the much modified machine.

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2014, 10:29:59 PM »
I drew this a while back. Only just got round to uploading it. I could maybe increase the size of the workshop by an extra 2 foot max on the length.

I suggest that you move the 2 big machines apart, and provide storage shlving or other at the side of each machine, for vises, RT's, big heavy stuff, lubes, accessories, etc.
Mosey

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2014, 12:11:04 AM »
Mosey, you know your needs best. I am a little worried that you only have one workbench 2'x4' open and that will likely collect hand tools and other clutter (if you are like me anyway). Could the blue storage boxes and totes on the in the other corner be places under a workbench to give more working area. Or could the shelving be replaced with wall hung cabinets opening up some room under them for additional workbench space? Can't totally tell what you had in mind in the vertical plane so maybe you have already thought of these things.

Bill

Offline bp

• Adelaide, SA
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2014, 01:03:50 AM »
Don't forget space around the hard to move stuff (lathe, mill) for maintenance, change gear access and so on.
best of luck
bp

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2014, 02:50:19 AM »
Don't forget space around the hard to move stuff (lathe, mill) for maintenance, change gear access and so on.
best of luck
bp

Excellent point!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Arbalest

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2014, 10:35:56 AM »
The blue storage boxes are stacked 4 high up to about 4-5 feet high. I did start with the mill and lathe separated by the bench, may go back to this as I need the bench for mill clamps etc.

Update. Thinking about the way I worked in the past, I think I need to move the mill to the right. It worked before. Easily movable storage left and right of the mill gave me access when needed.

Thanks guys you're really helping here. Will upload another pic.

Vic.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 03:30:55 PM by Arbalest »

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2014, 04:49:56 PM »
Better, but, as pictured, you're not making use of the fact that the two saws are mobile.  Eventually you're going to want the wall space they occupy in your picture for another tool or more storage.  They'll need to be rolled out and stood in front of something when that happens.

Give some thought now to where that will be and picture it in your design so that you're sure it will all work.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2014, 05:09:30 PM »
I'm not sure I'd want the mill in front of the window, meaning that you'd be looking into the light much of the time when working on it? Seems OK with a lathe where often you're looking down on the work.  :thinking:

Simon

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2014, 05:32:07 PM »
I'm not sure I'd want the mill in front of the window, meaning that you'd be looking into the light much of the time when working on it? Seems OK with a lathe where often you're looking down on the work.  :thinking:

Plus windows allow the thieves to window shop before they "buy".  Garaj Mahal has no windows but if I wanted natural light I'd opt for skylights rather than conventional windows.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Arbalest

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2014, 08:13:14 PM »
I've put the two saws there out of the way. One will need to be parked somewhere else at times to get to the cabinets. I used to have the lathe in front of the window before and it worked good, so no reason to think the mill will be any different. I'll be having blinds anyway for security so could cut the light down with them if needed. The windows are east facing so should be perfect. I plan on 4 -6 strip lights above the machines as before.

Arbalest

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2014, 08:23:56 PM »
Also noticed it's best to have the door central to the end wall I think. I had planned to have windows along virtually the whole wall but now think two four foot windows with a decent size section of wall in between for shelving would work better.

Windows marked in red, asymmetrical to the wall leaving a three foot section for shelving.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 09:10:12 PM by Arbalest »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal