Author Topic: Workshop layout  (Read 11332 times)

Arbalest

Workshop layout
« on: January 13, 2014, 07:57:08 PM »
I need to build a new workshop soon but I'm struggling to work out the best machine placement. Overall size is likely to be 14-16 foot by about 10 foot. Do any of you have plans of your machine layouts you'd care to share?

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
Re: Workshop layout
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 08:34:19 PM »
Grizzly has a shop planning tool...

http://www.grizzly.com/workshopplanner
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Arbalest

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 10:23:08 PM »
Thanks Marv, I'll check that out!

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 10:29:09 PM »
It is a nice layout tool and if you can get any of the guys that still do this stuff for a living to chime in, they know what works best when placed where. :cheers:

Whiskey

Offline PeterE

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 10:31:15 PM »
Then there is of course the old puzzle game in which you have your shop floor drawn in a handy scale - for me that would be 1:100 metric - mark out where doors and windows are and the pathway of the door(s).

Then make smaller pieces of your machines seen from top but remeber to add the needed working space at the proper end of each machine.

When you have all your machines drawn and cut to size, simply move them around till you find the best use of the floor space. Then pull out the tape and secure the machines where they should go and use that as a map when "decorating" your shop.

Basically the same as using the tool mentioned above really, but might be more handy later.

BR

/Peter

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 10:57:48 PM »
My personal opinion is that shop layout can only be done in Darwinian style, that is let it evolve over time to fit the way you work.  The implication is that flexibility is the most important element in shop planning.

Exercise some really careful thought* in placing the tools that are difficult to move.  Then get several rolling tool chests and/or rolling tables and go to work.  Very soon it will become obvious that "this should really be over there" and "that's in the way, it has to move".

Virtually everything in my shop is on wheels and it's a damn good thing because the configuration has changed many times over the years as the focus of the shop has changed and evolved.

I managed to pick up a cheap, small rolling chest at a Sears scratch and dent sale.  It looks as if it was made for dwarves, probably about 30" high.  However it rolls under the workbench nicely so I have nice, easily-accessed drawers without the need to build them.  Beyond that, rearrangements require no more than oiling the wheels.

-----
* Plan for clearance for over-sized workpieces on lathe, mill and drill press.  Allow space to get to the back of these tools for repair/service.  Put a swiveling vise at the corner of the bench so long pieces can be swung out into the shop open area.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline awemawson

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 08:54:31 AM »
I'd echo Marv's comment about equipment on wheels. In my last workshop it was a necessity as it was relatively small (or I had too many toys!), but even now with a generously sized workshop I put things on wheels as it is very useful to be able to shift things about.

This is now not so much for the ergonomics of working, but for clearing space when needed for some temporary project. As an example in my welding shop, the welders, my Pedrazzoli cold cut off saw, and my large industrial off hand grinder are wheeled, and I was able to push them to one side to get the forklift in when I needed to move my 4 foot Edwards box & pan folder. Then they get rolled back to where they were and life continues  :LickLips:

Andrew
Andrew Mawson, East Sussex, United Kingdom.

Arbalest

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 09:08:16 AM »
Then there is of course the old puzzle game in which you have your shop floor drawn in a handy scale - for me that would be 1:100 metric - mark out where doors and windows are and the pathway of the door(s).

Then make smaller pieces of your machines seen from top but remeber to add the needed working space at the proper end of each machine.

When you have all your machines drawn and cut to size, simply move them around till you find the best use of the floor space. Then pull out the tape and secure the machines where they should go and use that as a map when "decorating" your shop.

Basically the same as using the tool mentioned above really, but might be more handy later.

BR

/Peter

This is what I've done so far.

Thanks for your thoughts guys. Main items I can't move around easily will be the VMC mill and the Lathe.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 12:05:46 PM »
I agree with Marv....Darwin's got it sorted pretty well.     I have eventually migrated to the "center isle" concept opening to the main 8 foot roll up door.   But the shape of the shop is dictated by the work done in it, the space available and access....so it's hard to give absolutes.......

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 02:01:24 PM »
I agree with Marv completely, set it up the best way you can, after some planning on paper to suit your individual space. Then, move things as you work in the space and begin to understand the efficiency of close integration of things. I say this after doing this kind of planning professionally for 50 years, including planning of a 5 Bridgeport major machine shop for a large corporation, though space was abundant for them. But, on our home/hobbiest scale, an inch can be critical, and the daily working in place teaches you what works. Roll around, or at least easily moved cabinets are the best.  Storage of little stuff is precious, and potentially very expensive. Look at the shops of some of the stars here, George and Dave and follow their lead.
Be prepared to relocate things over time, as you will learn where you really want things.
Enjoy this treat of a new shop.
Mosey   :headscratch: :old:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 02:09:33 PM »
I am so envious !!  Still looking forward to setting up a more permanent shop space of my own, but will likely have to wait until closer to retirement :(  The positive side is that I have lots of time to plan :)  Hopefully I can learn from some of you guys and gal too in the interim.

Bill

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 03:11:29 PM »
....Hey .....what's this star stuff........and does it come with a raise?........ 8)

Let's see.....  2 x 0 = ........ :headscratch:

Aint no stars over here.

dave

Damned ijjit!

Offline Mosey

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 03:12:54 PM »
Check is in the mail :lolb: :lolb: :lolb:
Mosey

Arbalest

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 07:41:18 PM »
I drew this a while back. Only just got round to uploading it. I could maybe increase the size of the workshop by an extra 2 foot max on the length.

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 09:22:19 PM »
Looks sensible to me.  Long stock projecting out of the left of the lathe HS can lie over the table on the mill.  (Attaching a  temporary steady to the mill table should be a doodle.)

Is there any way to get the belt sander a little farther away from the tool storage?  Sawdust on the tools soaks up the oil and makes them more susceptible to rust plus there's the mess factor.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Arbalest

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 10:19:34 PM »
Thanks Marv. The belt and disc sander is normally only used for tool sharpening. If I have needed to use it for wood it then needs a very thorough cleaning afterwards before I can use it for tool sharpening again due to the fire hazard.

This is the much modified machine.

Offline Mosey

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2014, 10:29:59 PM »
I drew this a while back. Only just got round to uploading it. I could maybe increase the size of the workshop by an extra 2 foot max on the length.

I suggest that you move the 2 big machines apart, and provide storage shlving or other at the side of each machine, for vises, RT's, big heavy stuff, lubes, accessories, etc.
Mosey

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2014, 12:11:04 AM »
Mosey, you know your needs best. I am a little worried that you only have one workbench 2'x4' open and that will likely collect hand tools and other clutter (if you are like me anyway). Could the blue storage boxes and totes on the in the other corner be places under a workbench to give more working area. Or could the shelving be replaced with wall hung cabinets opening up some room under them for additional workbench space? Can't totally tell what you had in mind in the vertical plane so maybe you have already thought of these things.

Bill

Offline bp

• Adelaide, SA
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2014, 01:03:50 AM »
Don't forget space around the hard to move stuff (lathe, mill) for maintenance, change gear access and so on.
best of luck
bp

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2014, 02:50:19 AM »
Don't forget space around the hard to move stuff (lathe, mill) for maintenance, change gear access and so on.
best of luck
bp

Excellent point!

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Arbalest

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2014, 10:35:56 AM »
The blue storage boxes are stacked 4 high up to about 4-5 feet high. I did start with the mill and lathe separated by the bench, may go back to this as I need the bench for mill clamps etc.

Update. Thinking about the way I worked in the past, I think I need to move the mill to the right. It worked before. Easily movable storage left and right of the mill gave me access when needed.

Thanks guys you're really helping here. Will upload another pic.

Vic.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 03:30:55 PM by Arbalest »

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2014, 04:49:56 PM »
Better, but, as pictured, you're not making use of the fact that the two saws are mobile.  Eventually you're going to want the wall space they occupy in your picture for another tool or more storage.  They'll need to be rolled out and stood in front of something when that happens.

Give some thought now to where that will be and picture it in your design so that you're sure it will all work.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2014, 05:09:30 PM »
I'm not sure I'd want the mill in front of the window, meaning that you'd be looking into the light much of the time when working on it? Seems OK with a lathe where often you're looking down on the work.  :thinking:

Simon

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2014, 05:32:07 PM »
I'm not sure I'd want the mill in front of the window, meaning that you'd be looking into the light much of the time when working on it? Seems OK with a lathe where often you're looking down on the work.  :thinking:

Plus windows allow the thieves to window shop before they "buy".  Garaj Mahal has no windows but if I wanted natural light I'd opt for skylights rather than conventional windows.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Arbalest

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2014, 08:13:14 PM »
I've put the two saws there out of the way. One will need to be parked somewhere else at times to get to the cabinets. I used to have the lathe in front of the window before and it worked good, so no reason to think the mill will be any different. I'll be having blinds anyway for security so could cut the light down with them if needed. The windows are east facing so should be perfect. I plan on 4 -6 strip lights above the machines as before.

Arbalest

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2014, 08:23:56 PM »
Also noticed it's best to have the door central to the end wall I think. I had planned to have windows along virtually the whole wall but now think two four foot windows with a decent size section of wall in between for shelving would work better.

Windows marked in red, asymmetrical to the wall leaving a three foot section for shelving.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 09:10:12 PM by Arbalest »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal