Author Topic: WORKSHOP HEATING  (Read 3648 times)

Offline kellswaterri

WORKSHOP HEATING
« on: January 13, 2014, 04:11:12 PM »
Just at the point of getting back to the shed a biggie problem made itself known...this shed was at one time the coal hole, in the winter the concrete roof was like na upside lake , dripping water rusted every thing, so a bigger shed was put in behind it...I then decided to have central heating put in, the boiler went in to the coal shed and a medium sized radiator into the new shed...results after about  one week, the concrete roof dried out and shed was bone dry ...the new shed had all the heavy gear and tooling chests so must have absorbed the heat during daytime from rad/ giving it back at night...? Prob/no 2   ...routine check of sheds ...new shed ok no leaks... coal shed  :Mad: :censored: :hellno:...the floor was a Lake from one side to other...no obvious leaks so boiler engn/ given a bell, first check looked ok no water getting from above... below......that was it...leaking at bottom corner, rotted right through, on removal of boiler found the welded plate on boiler bottom was rusting and cracking at the weld and in particular the corners, NOT good......this boiler was just over 12 yrs/ old , just outside the 15 yrs/ required by the powers that be, for grant...a new similar boiler was the nex option, the same make of boiler was not available so one that would work and do the job was acquired ''elsewhere'' NEW...fitted, guts adjusted,told to Behave and do its job ,it took the hint......
PROB/ NO...3...(they come in 3 s dont they ???)   about 2 weeks after the new boiler was fitted i noticed droplets of water gathering on the concrete roof... :cussing: :o...by this time some of you will have gotten the real idea of this prob/ and be  :lolb: Funny it aint, the eng / and i figure that the old boiler was giving out much more heat to the general surroundings than the newer more modern better insulated one...so Please...any good suggestions to remove this lake from my ceiling and pllease...no fish or camels :help:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: WORKSHOP HEATING
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 04:26:35 PM »
How about a dehumidifier in the coal hole where the new boiler is?  Since I assume it is below ground level, maybe have it empty into a sump and then add a sump pump to pump it up above ground and out into the yard or something. That would keep you from having to empty the dehumidifier every time it fills up with moisture removed from the "hole".

Bill

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 04:41:06 PM »
Also....is it ground water?...or combustion vapor.....If it's vapor, you need to vent it better.....   Drainage outside the building should be evaluated...sometimes running an extended gutter away from the foundation is all that's needed.    Perhaps a dry well in the yard would help too.   Dig a big hole, line it with landscaping cloth, fill with crushed stone, cover with cloth and then grade over.    Water has a place to go with this.

How deep is the water table?

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Graham Meek

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 04:48:18 PM »
You do not say if the concrete roof of the coal house is still exposed on the outside?

If it is, then I would first of all Tank the outside with a Bituminous Paint after giving it a good going over with a wire brush. The concrete is always going to be a cold surface so inside it needs first of all a layer of polythene held in place with some pressure treated battens then attached to these battens you will need some foam insulation, the foil covered type is best and then your troubles should be over.

A dehumidifier would also be a good add-on as we all breathe moisture and if the workshop is insulated there will be little chance for this moisture to escape. I have a 12v model with no moving parts if you discount the fan that drives it. The unit takes out about 2 cups full of water most days in my 12' x 10' workshop, (I do not go in the workshop every day).

My best regards
Gray,

Offline kellswaterri

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 05:22:06 PM »
Hi Gray, you raise some very good points, i am a tigh fisted northern irish man, so the idea of the dehumidifier goes on the long finger for a while...the roof IS exposed on out side, and i agree completely with your suggestion to seal it, that is if some one would turn the taps off up in the penthouse...inside i will go with your idea of the polythene and the foil covered foam insulation board (1 1/2'') thick should do?...just means i have to turf everything out int the tunnel...glad it is there now...i am going out and may be some time...
                                                                                                                                                                                  John.

Offline Graham Meek

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 05:05:00 PM »
Hi John,

I am with you when it comes to spending money un-necessarily, and as regards the rain we do seem to be having more than our fair share at the moment, but I know you have had a lot more than we have in Gloucestershire.

I have been thinking it might be a good idea to give the concrete a coat of PVA, before you put the Bituminous paint on.  My late uncle was a Master Plasterer and he would always use PVA especially on weathered masonry. There are usually the dilution rates on the side of the container, it does not want to be neat and I would allow a day between coats.

My best regards
Gray,

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal