Author Topic: How tight is tight  (Read 16634 times)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: How tight is tight
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2014, 06:40:20 PM »
Well....no CNC in my shop either, but I've always been intriqued with Gray's design.    Now that Samantha Bell is done, it sure is something I would like to consider.     

I'm excited!....But Gray.    Seriously.    If you want to take your time, and get some other projects under your belt.   Do so.

Samantha Bell isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Additionally, what ever design or drawing help you need, let me know....I do that for my day job too.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Graham Meek

« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2014, 07:31:00 PM »
Hi Dave,

It's not a problem as regards my other projects, this should only take a couple or so days at the drawing board. To give you some idea of what I need to know as regards the photographs. A front view of the lathe, an end on view of the tumbler reverse including change wheel quadrant, a side on view of the tumbler cluster from the front in line with the back face of the headstock casting, an above view of the cluster from this last viewing point taken at about 1 o'clock. Finally a view down the rear of the bed from the headstock and tailstock ends. That should do for now as regards pictures, but I will need to know the DP & PA of the gears, the number of teeth on the Mandrel gear as well as the numbers of teeth in the tumbler reverse and very important which position the tumbler reverse is in when turning towards the headstock.

My best regards
Gray,

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2014, 07:33:19 PM »
Thanks Graham!

18 DP   14 1/2 PA

Spindle gear is 24 tooth.

I'll get the rest.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2014, 12:07:50 AM »
Hi Gray,

Has the version for the ML7 been made available anywhere?

Cheers, Hugh.

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2014, 07:45:46 AM »
Not sure Gray would have to answere that question

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Graham Meek

« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2014, 10:36:55 AM »
The position on the ML7 is as follows, the prototype for this machine has been made and fitted to the donor lathe, which is about 150 miles away from me. Apart from a slight fouling problem with a sheet metal guard the parts fitted and worked as planned. The only thing outstanding at this stage was the routing of the trip rod, I had a rough idea of where it was going to go but you cannot beat having the hardware to actually see this. The trip rod exits from by the headstock casting but has to drop and move away from the lathe to follow the S7 routing, I have designed a bracket to do this. I am still waiting to hear about the final outcome, but in the meantime I have had several people contact me for drawings. I have explained to them the above situation and they have proceeded to make their versions with a little help from me.

Under normal circumstances I would let my drawings go out on the sole understanding that it was for the users eyes only and without charge. I found out yesterday that someone has betrayed this trust as drawings for my Sieg version of the clutch have turned up in the Sieg factory. A classic example of how one persons greed spoils it for all the rest.

If prospective builders of the ML7 version would like to send me an email I will endeavour to help as best I can.

My best regards
Gray,

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2014, 12:36:17 PM »
I am very sorry to hear that Gray.   However, I would doubt  they will go forward building this clutch on a lathe with such a low price point....I would think they would be better off spending the money on better BASIC features on the Seig lathes.   Like power cross feed for instance or a better tailstock/tailstock base, ect.

In any case, post what you're comfortable with, we understand, and as always, you retain all rights to the work published here.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Graham Meek

« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2014, 05:05:45 PM »
Hi Dave,

The people concerned are known and they intend marketing a kit for the attachment.

My best regards
Gray,

Offline ths

« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2014, 03:22:28 AM »
Hi Gray,

PM sent.

Hugh.

Offline Graham Meek

« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2014, 11:28:16 AM »
Hi Hugh,

I have relied to your PM and you might also like to see the latest posting on the ME forum by Jim Shroeder,

http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=49358&p=19

My best regards
Gray,

Offline ths

« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2014, 12:03:41 PM »
Hi Gray,

I have responded to the email address you supplied.

Many thanks,

Hugh.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal