Author Topic: Elmer's #19 Standby - Arnold back to basics  (Read 23950 times)

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Elmer's #19 Standby - Arnold back to basics
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2014, 04:37:24 AM »
Very nice little engine Arnold! Very nice little runner. I like the colors you choose too :)
Thanks for sharing it with us!
Kim

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2014, 05:40:39 AM »
What a treat to see Fred again, and also this thread has been most enjoyable to follow. Well done Arnold, BRAVO!!

BC1
Jim

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2014, 04:31:17 PM »
Thanks very much Gents  :praise2:

Hopefully work will ease up a bit soon and I can find a bit more shop time...  The Corliss seriously needs finishing now.

Kind regards, Arnold
Building an engine takes Patience, Planning, Preparation and Machining.
Procrastination is nearly the same, but it precludes machining.
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

Online Twizseven

« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2014, 08:19:44 PM »
Arnold,

You've done a fantastic job on #19    :praise2:, so much so that as i'd picked up the plans at Midland Model Engine show last year I thought I'd better have a go at my first engine.  Its that or strip and rebuild a Stent Tool and Cutter grinder I picked up a couple of years ago (it works but has some backlash in feed screws), or carry on with the UPT I started some time ago.

In the end the engine won, sorted some stock out and printed plans at A3.  If I don't get too embarrassed at my attempt I may start a build log.  Don't think I'm brave enough to do it via dials only, its going to have to be DRO's all the way.  I'm going to attempt building two at same time.  If they turn out OK its one for each daughter, if not it'll be the scrap bin.

Colin

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2014, 07:29:51 PM »
Thanks Colin  :)

Please do start a build log - no-one should have any reason to be embarrassed about showing their work here on MEM.

I've found it's a good thing to share build logs - people join in and give tips if you ask questions, and support you when things go wrong.  A build log also gives one a bit of a chance to reflect on what you did - and look for ways to improve one's skills.

Use whatever tools you have - there's no right or wrong in the hobby; as long as the methods you use are safe, gets the job done, and you're having fun, it's the right way  :ThumbsUp: .  I went without the DROs on this build, both to have a bit of fun, as well as show newcomers that engines can be built without an investment in DROs and advanced equipment.

Build your two engines with love and care, and your girls will be proud to get them.  This may sound funny, but one's passion actually does show through in the end result. 

Kind regards, Arnold
Building an engine takes Patience, Planning, Preparation and Machining.
Procrastination is nearly the same, but it precludes machining.
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

Online Twizseven

« Reply #80 on: May 29, 2014, 07:58:36 PM »
Arnold,

Thanks for the thoughts.  I have started build log under: My First Engine(s) - Another Elmer's Standby
Will look forward to your comments.

Colin

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal