Author Topic: Elmer's #19 Standby - Arnold back to basics  (Read 24025 times)

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Re: Elmer's #19 Standby - Arnold back to basics
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2014, 12:19:16 PM »
For a newbie, there is a wealth of information in this thread. Also, it is very interesting to see what can be done with some very basic tools as well as a few home brew ones.

Arnold, Thank You for being so generous with your time and your experience.

:cheers:

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2014, 01:16:33 PM »
Agree that this engine is a good first engine to build. These build threads are very, very helpful when starting out (and for those of us who have built a few engines, they can teach us some new tricks)
My second engine was Elmer's Grasshopper. I'm quite sure that I wouldn't have considered building it if I couldn't have followed Arnold's build thread. Even now, before starting a build, I search the forums for good build threads on that particular engine. Thanks, Arnold.
There should be some way to identify really good, high quality, build logs for beginner engines. It would probably get more people hooked on this machining drug.
Best,
Stan

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2014, 06:54:28 PM »
Arnold, I have to say I agree with Stan. I'm only on my fourth engine, trying to raise the bar a notch with each. I find myself searching out build logs that at least have the same type of operations performed so I can see how old Joe Blow did it. Maybe some of the "old guard" here would be willing to start a "follow the leader build." it could be almost like a team build except you would make all your own parts by following instructions from the "build leader". As I've said before, some of the finest double guns in the world were built by cutting to the line, machining the line, and filing to finish and fit.  Maybe I'm babbling, but, I hope y'all get the idea. Anyhoo, I'm watching and waiting for this one to run. :cheers:

Y'all come see us,
Whiskey

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2014, 05:16:03 PM »
Thank you all  :praise2:

I feel somewhat embarrassed by some of the accolades given... 
If it were not for many others who have selflessly shared their build logs, I would not be in a position to do the same either.  The Grasshopper build Stan mentions was never intended to be a tutorial.  In fact, it was very much shared to get input and ideas from more experienced members.  Eric mentioned "trying to raise the bar a notch with each"  I fully agree with that, and it's helped me a lot along the way.  Since my first runner built over a weekend with only my lathe and extremely limited tooling, I've taken the advice from more experienced builders to not aim too high.  After the thrill of finishing each engine, I'd sit down and evaluate it very critically, identify one or two areas that needed improvement, select a new project that would emphasize those areas and start on the new build.  So engines were built with a focus on improving accuracy or surface finishes or detailing or painting or setups or purely to get to grips with new tools as my collection grew.  There were also some engines that were purely taken on as "bee in the bonnet" ones.  Those were taken on as a personal machining challenge purely to see if I could build them (The Lamina Flow, Little Blazer and to some extent the Elbow and Kimble engines). 
Carl (Zee) once mentioned sitting back and looking at one's progress once in a while.  All I can say is DO IT!  You'll get a very nice surprise. 

Even though sharing build logs are public, building engines is very much a personal thing to do.  Other peoples build logs and skill levels can be both fascinating and awe inspiring to look at, while at the same time also being truly intimidating.  I still get that "I'll never be able to do that!" feeling when looking at some of the great engines shown here.  It's times like this that I'll take a "Carl" moment, get up, and go and look at my humble collection.  There's few things as satisfying as looking over the collection and actually seeing that I've made progress.  Five years ago, should I have happened to see some of my own engines, I would definitely have felt a bit of awe and intimidation...  Now they are tangible results of a lot of hard work - with loads of memories built into them.  Make no mistake, there's still a LOT of room for improvement though! 
The best thing about this is looking at my earliest work that next to some later ones looks a bit shoddy and crude, and KNOWING that when I made them I gave them my best go.  There's a lot of members here that's seen me build them, and I cannot recall anybody ever giving bad remarks about them - just support and constructive criticism - often from those very people whose work intimidated and overawed me. 

That's the crux of the matter.  MEM is for sharing our hobby of building model engines and related items - in an environment that is non-judgmental and supportive.  That is also why the forum owners decided not to implement any form of rating system, project of the month or any other form of highlighting. 
Every member's contribution is equally valuable.
For those that feel their own efforts are not worth posting up - You need not worry; they are!  You're almost certain to get valuable advice along the way, just like I did and still do, and in the process indirectly help someone else as well.  Don't worry about going into each and every detail, or long write-ups or anything - just post up your progress as you see fit.

As to Eric's idea of a "follow the leader" build...   
I agree that it will be great to see members doing versions of the same engine build, but each in their own build logs.  It's pretty much guaranteed that people will have different sets of tooling at their disposal, and would have to resort to different ways of building the same parts.  There's no "build leader" required - just start up your own build log of an engine even if it has been shown before.  It's always great to see the different ways in which the same parts can be made by different people.  Your own version of a build will not be judged against someone else's.  We're here to share our passion for a hobby and have fun along the way - not to crack people down and get into flaming wars.

I'll get off the soap box now and get on with the build.

The cylinder block needed it's four mounting holes drilled and tapped.  These are fairly shallow holes, and one needs to be careful not to break into the cylinder itself.  The depth gauge on my mill's quill is downright crude, so rather than checking the depth while drilling from that, I opted to use the quill fine feed.  There's two idiosyncrasies with that though.  My mill is metric, but the quill feed is imperial - at 2.54mm per turn.  The other is that it's dial is not zero-able like the other hand wheels on the mill.  I just have to live with the first (for now).  For the second, I use a crude way to zero the dial.  I feed the drill bit down to lightly touch the workpiece, then lock the quill in place with the fine feed handwheel still disengaged. Then I turn the still-disengaged handwheel at least one full turn in the direction needed to feed the quill down and to zero on the dial:

Then I lock the fine-feed to the quill.  The full rotation before locking takes out the backlash in the fine-feed worm and wheel, which is fairly big on my mill.  Then I simply loosen the quill, and lift it using the fine-feed wheel.  From there, it's easy to drill slightly more accurate holes - I did this lot of 1.6mm holes to about 2.94mm depth by feeding a full turn on the handwheel and up to 0.4 on the dial:

The port hole was also drilled as you can see.

Remember that I'd forgotten something on the base ? - I forgot the port hole in that, so I picked up a reference point to drill it from one of the mounting holes:

Next it was on to some tapping...  It would have been better to tap the mounting holes in the cylinder block as I drilled them.  Well, I forgot...  So I brought out the set of M2 taps.  The normal starter tap shown here mounted in the aluminium holder has too sharp a taper for shallow holes, so it was replaced with the normal final tap in the middle.  The tap in the steel holder is an old final tap with the tip ground flat to make a nice bottoming tap:

The holes were tapped into the cylinder - for some reason I forgot to take a photo  of that, but I just held the cylinder block in my small Myford vice and used methylated spirits as the tapping fluid.

On to making the 45 degree bevels on the cylinder.  I don't have a tilting vise, and while I could have used a protractor to set them up, I went for the pair of home-made "parallels" I mentioned earlier in the thread.  When I made them they were done as a pair - but the V sections I made into them only lines up one way - so I checked that with a drill bit:

Those were installed in the mill with the cylinder block mounted in the V, and the ends protected from damage with bits of old business card:

I didn't do a lot of mark-out for this; just eyeballed the first cut to depth, then flipped the cylinder in the V and made the other one identical:

Another spot of rubbing on the 320 emery - once again keeping track of the "grain" direction to match the column:

The finished cylinder block:

And mounted on the column.  You'll notice that the top of the cylinder block lies slightly below the top of the frame  :-[ .  When I made the column I forgot that I'd be using 12mm stock for the cylinder - it was made for a 12.7mm thick cylinder block, so it now stands about 0.3mm proud.  I'll sort that out later (could have kept quiet about it and fixed but mistakes must be shown too):

Well, that last photo finally caught up to where I stopped two weekends ago.  Last weekend I did "work" work installing some nifty servers and storage systems at a client.  A light wrist sprain (not shop related) didn't help productivity much this weekend either, but I did manage some more...

The lathe is fairly light to operate, so in deference to the wrist, I went with a start on the bearing.  I could have used phosphor bronze for it, but intentionally started making it from a bit of 10mm hex brass.  The outer diameter of the "thick" section of the bearing isn't all that critical - it must just be thick enough to allow one to solder in the air connection later, so I just barely turned the hex bits off to round over the needed length of stock and faced the end:

That was coloured in with a permanent marker.  The length of the turned down section of the bearing is slightly important - and if built per plans should be 8.33mm (21/64").  However, as I'd used 6mm stock for the column instead of 6.35mm (1/4"), that needed compensating for - otherwise the bering will be too long and push the crank disk out of the cylinder center line.  So I marked it out at a round 8mm from the end:

It was turned down a bit - not quite to the marked line yet, and then the very end was slowly turned down a bit closer to size and the end given a generous chamfer with a small file:

The bearing must be a press fit in the frame - but that ~3mm long bit will stick out on the other end of the frame, so I used a dirty rotten trick.  I turned it down further, carefully taking readings off the cross-slide handwheel, just by 0.0005" (0.01mm) infeeds at a time when approaching size - testing with the column till it _just_ slipped onto it:

The Myford's dials are graduated in 0.001" intervals, but it's quite easy to "read between the lines" and get down to 0.0005" feeds.  Also, on the Myford, the infeed read from the dial is actual infeed, so the diameter of the workpiece got reduced by 0.001" ( 0.02mm) at a time.

Then, to finish the turning, I took the current reading on the cross-slide, backed it out and fed it in 0.0005" (0.01mm) short of that last reading and finish-turned the entire section up to the marked line:

Ok, so that wasn't very precise was it? - Well, it actually works quite well (I've done that on Elmer's Simple Wobbler and Scotty engines in the past).  It gives an adequate press fit for the bearing in the column, and the section at the front that just slips into the column means later when mounting the bearing one does not have to press the bearing all the way, but rather just on the section that needs it.  Like I said, a dirty rotten trick, but it works for me  :)
You might have noticed that there's quite a "generous" rounding left in the corner from the radius on the tool tip.  That I'll address later  ;) .

With my imperial -> metric conversion, the crankshaft will end up at 5mm, so I drilled the workpiece through at 4.8mm (to ream to 5mm later) - to just deep enough to part it off later:

If I'd drilled it deep enough to use my 5mm hand reamer on it, I'd have wasted an unnecessary amount of parent stock.  I'm stingy with my brass...

Next I marked the flat at the number 1 chuck jaw position:

With the workpiece removed from the chuck, I marked the distance to where the air connector hole must be made:

Then it was off to the mill.  The main reason I'd used the hex stock was to make the next step easier - I simply clamped up the workpiece level in the vise and across flats.  No DRO allowed here, so I used the "bit of plate" method to find the center.  Here it's not centered yet; it's centered under the chuck when the plate lies flat when lightly pressed down with the drill bit:

Don't adjust things with the plate nipped up...  just lift off, adjust a bit, nip the plate down lightly again, till it's lying flat:

And once again, check with the spindle rotated 180 degrees:

With the center located, I could spot the hole location on the line:

That was then drilled 2mm through into the bore, followed by a 3.2mm hole a short depth into the stock:

Well, that's where I had to leave off.  I'll see how things go this week during the evenings, but there's a strong possibility I might not get around to doing any more till next weekend.

Kind regards, Arnold
Building an engine takes Patience, Planning, Preparation and Machining.
Procrastination is nearly the same, but it precludes machining.
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2014, 06:29:20 PM »
No Arnold thank you, you seem to have the gift of inspiration. Your write up has inspired me again. I look forward to more progress and inspiration. I like......... :ThumbsUp:

:cheers: Don

Online vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2014, 08:04:39 PM »
If somebody had to ask me for a suitable beginners project I will definitely point him/her to this thread.

Vince

Offline Bezalel

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2014, 10:21:00 PM »
  The other is that it's dial is not zero-able like the other hand wheels on the mill.  I just have to live with the first (for now).

Hi Arnold

My Mill is an RF31 & looks remarkably similar to yours, to make my quill dial zeroable it was just a matter of loosening off, far enough, the grub screw opposite the 2.3mm marker.
It is even already firm enough now that it does not to need any additional friction.

yours may work the same way?

Bez
Queensland - wet one day, humid the next

Offline Nicolas

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2014, 10:44:57 PM »
Another very good, detailed update Arnold, thank you very much  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Nicolas

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2014, 04:56:55 PM »
Thank you Gents  :praise2:

Bez, thanks for that tip! - I'll check it out for the short term.  In the long run, I want to make a new worm and wheel for the quill anyway to get rid of more backlash and get either 2mm or 3mm per turn feed on it, rather than the 2.54mm feed - so I'll make a new zeroable dial as well.  The cracked paint in the photo shows where I'd already adjusted the unit as far as I could to get rid of backlash...

Kind regards, Arnold
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2014, 05:13:32 PM »
Still looking good Arnold....you are closing in on it now :)

Bill

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2014, 01:14:06 AM »
Thanks Bill  :)

On where things got left off...

I broke out one of my favourite home-brew tools for the next step - a narrow parting tool made from an ordinary HSS jigsaw blade that had the end re-ground, and mounted rather crudely in the quick-change holder using a couple of blocks of steel.  It's not pretty, but works an absolute treat for small parting-off jobs:

In the last update I mentioned that I marked the position on the hex bar stock relative to the number 1 jaw of the three-jaw chuck.  That was so that I could re-mount the hex bar fairly accurately in the 3-jaw chuck.  Mine's got quite a bit of run-out, but if a workpiece is taken out of it after turning and re-inserted in the same orientation, things aren't too bad.  I forgot to orient the chuck for the next photo to show this; the number 1 jaw is at the back.  To get the length needed for the bearing, I just used the "depth" gauge on the digivern to set the position to part off.  The length on the "big" end of the bearing is not critical on this engine, and it can be made a bit longer than the plans show if one wants to:

To part it off, I inserted a bit of rod in the tailstock chuck to catch the workpiece - saves having to dig through the swarf or lathe bed to find it later.  Here I'd already parted it off part-way, and took a break to run a small triangular file in the parting groove.  That breaks the edge nicely and one need not re-mount the workpiece later to do that:

Parting finished:

The bearing up to this point.  It still needs to be reamed out to 5mm, but that I'll do once it is pressed into the column and the other air/steam passage hole is drilled through:

On to the piston.  Before I built my first engine this was the part that was the most daunting...  That was totally needles - its one of the quickest and easiest parts to make on most of Elmer's simple engines.  Seeing as the 10mm hex brass bar was already in the lathe, that's what got used for it as well; the piston is about 9.5mm in diameter so there was very little lost material.  I turned the outside down to about 0.2mm over size, then put in the counter bores.  There's two steps on the inside of the piston - one at about 8mm (5/16") 3.2mm deep, and the other 6.35mm (1/4") to a depth of 8mm.  The bigger step gives clearance for the connecting rod, and I suspect that Elmer designed it with the smaller deep step to leave extra "meat" for the wrist pin to make it easier to retain.  Looking over my available tooling, there wasn't much to suit these dimensions for the bore, so I went with the 8mm big bore and 7mm instead of 6.35mm for the small bore - purely because I could drill 7mm to depth and then use a 7mm milling cutter to finish the flat at the bottom of the bore, followed by an 8mm milling cutter for the bigger step:

Then I laid out the "oil grooves" on the outside - remember, the piston is not yet to size here:

The grooves were made with a small triangular needle file.  This was fairly close to the chuck, so a LOT of care needed to keep fingers away from the chuck jaws.  If you feel hesitant about working so close to the chuck with a file, rather use a small grooving tool, or a method you feel confident with:

You'll see a small ring to the right of the middle groove - the file jumped the groove when it clogged up, and this is something to watch out for...

Then the piston was turned down to size - approaching the final size in 0.01mm (0.0005") infeeds, reading between the lines on the cross slide, and testing with the cylinder till it easily slipped over:

You might have noticed the grooves seemed a little bit close together in the last photo - I'd calculated the wrong spacing...  So I re-made the piston, this time with better spacing of the oil grooves:

Unfortunately I didn't take a photo when it came to parting off the piston...  I used the same parting tool shown earlier, but once again, after going in a bit, took a moment to generously chamfer the corner with a file to remove the slight raised burr the parting tool makes.  If that's not done, the piston won't fit in the cylinder after parting off and it can be fairly difficult to remove the raised edge later on.

Then it was off to the mill to drill the hole for the wrist pin.  I located the center using the pinched-plate method, and the hole distance location was marked from the "bottom" of the piston.  Fortunately, it fell right in the middle of the center oil groove.  The location was spot-drilled:

And then drilled 1.5mm - the plans call for a 1.6mm wrist pin.  With no suitable material in stock at 1.6mm,  I went for 1.5mm, as I have music wire (piano wire) in stock that will work just dandy:

I did not de-burr the drilled holes after this - I need the burrs later on to help fit the wrist pin.

:facepalm2: No photo of the finished piston - but it will be shown later.

On to what I would consider the biggest challenge of this specific engine build - the connecting rod.
As designed, it presents a couple of machining challenges - especially in terms of work-holding toward the finishing stages.  It can be simplified, but I'll make it to Elmer's design.

I have some 3.2mm brass flat bar lying around where I'd already sawed out a strip for another project:

So another strip was sawed from that - about 7mm wide and 60mm long:

To clean up the one band-sawed edge required a bit of a Rube Goldberg set-up:

I really need to buy or make a set of thin parallels!

After milling down the one side to straighten it out, it was marked out at 6.4mm wide:

That was milled to split the line, and the one end was also milled up nice and square using the same setup shown earlier.  Then I grabbed my smallest center drill (1mm) and checked how much clearance it needed before starting layout of the con-rod. 5mm was plenty to allow for the tip and bevel, and to make things easier for the rest of the layout, I zeroed the digivern after marking the 5mm line:

The workpiece was laid out for the wrist pin and crank screw holes and those were punched.  I also laid out the top for the center hole:

Punching a center hole on a workpiece like this is best done with it clamped in a vise, so I moved to the big shop vise for that:

It got a generous pounding - a light tap first to check the centering, then a good whack to make a decent hole - that's needed later.

Off to the mill, and I drilled the holes.  1.5mm for the "small end" and 3.5mm for the "big end".  Both the holes in the con-rod are specified as "close smooth fits".  Ideally they should be reamed - but I was a lazy rotten cheat again ;) 
I don't have reamers for the sizes needed, and I could easily make up some D-bits, but wasn't feeling in the mood.  By running the drill bits with a very slow feed on the mill's top speed through the holes five or six times, they come out ever so slightly over size and fairly smooth and round enough for this engine build:

With the four-jaw chuck mounted on the Myford again, I centered up the workpiece.  I took a minute or so extra to ensure that I did the final tightening on chuck jaws #1 and #2 and that I got a "feeling" for how hard I torqued them down:

The workpiece needed that good punch whack on the end earlier for this centering job.

Then it was center-drilled with that small 1mm center drill:

I then loosened the number 1 and 2 chuck jaws, extended the workpiece, and tightened the #1 and #2 jaws down trying to approximate the same torque I felt earlier.  Markings were also scratched where the "round" section of the connecting rod should end (I forgot to do that earlier):

When adding tailstock center support to small workpieces, space can be at a premium, especially with a quick-change toolpost.  The toolpost very quickly starts to interfere, especially with revolving/running centers, as they tend to be fairly bulky.  My "normal" revolving center is about the same size as the 16mm drill chuck I usually show in use on the Myford - and much too big for this job. 

One option is to make a temporary long thin center from a bit of rod and hold it in the tailstock drill chuck like this to clear things:

That's only suitable for VERY light work.  I could also have used the Morse Taper #2 center I used earlier to center up the workpiece with the dial indicator.  That has the advantage of being slightly smaller in diameter than the lathe's tailstock barrel, and would have worked just fine.

I was a bit naughty, and used a bit of kit "I made up earlier".  It's a home-brew revolving center with a "shortened" MT1 shank I made to fit my small lathe - but it works an absolute treat on the Myford using the MT1-MT2 adapter it is installed in here:

Not super-accurate, and also very light duty, but one of the most useful bits of tooling I've built.  Hey! - the completed piston was in that photo as well! - Just noticed it now while posting up.

On to the con-rod, and I started to turn it down.  Once again, being lazy, I grabbed a HSS toolbit that should do most of the work; this one was used to make gear hobs for Myford gears, but more importantly, it is very sharp and has a zero degree top rake - ideal for machining brass.  I took many light cuts from the tailstock end for a short section, until the middle was round:

Then the rear parting tool was used to clean up closer to the end:

The rest was turned down as well toward the headstock - light cuts all the way, as this is a quite delicate bit of work.  Once the entire section was turned down to about 3mm, I started the taper -just by eye and feel - feeding on the cross slide very slowly while feeding the apron toward the tailstock end:

Things ended up with a wee bit of a dog's breakfast, with 3.1 mm diameter at the chuck end and 2.4mm at the tailstock end:

I used a small fine file to get a somewhat better profile:

A 3/4" (19mm)strip of 800grit emery helped sort things out a bit:

Next it was off to the big vise and the junior hacksaw to get rid of the excess material at the end:

Time for a wee bit of a breather now - I'll post more tomorrow.  Hopefully...

Kind regards, Arnold

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2014, 01:47:50 AM »
That's a lot of progress Arnold. You are right though...those small con rods are one of the trickier parts but its looking good. A very nice write-up as always!!

Bill

Offline Nicolas

« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2014, 06:51:41 AM »
Another very good update  :ThumbsUp:

Just wondering, why didn't you use the top slide/ compound slide to cut the taper?

Nicolas

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2014, 02:08:53 PM »
I located the center using the pinched-plate method, and the hole distance location was marked from the "bottom" of the piston.

I haven't heard of the 'pinched-plate method'. What is it?
I'm sure it's better than my traditional 'wet finger in the wind', 'eye-ball', and 'toss the dart behind me' methods.

Thanks
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2014, 07:21:28 AM »
Thanks for looking in Gents  :praise2:

Nicolas, the tailstock was in the way, so I could not set the topslide over enough to cut the taper.  As the workpiece is pretty thin, it wasn't really an option to turn the taper without the tailstock support.  I could have shortened the bit that was held in the chuck, drilled a center hole in that end, and turned the workpiece around in the chuck - that would have put the taper in a better orientation for using the topslide with tailstock support, but doing it the way I did was just as quick.

Carl, it's not far off from your methods  ;) - I described the process in this post starting at the fifth-last photo.

Didn't get around to do the update yesterday - things got waylaid a bit, so I'll update when I next get a chance.

Kind regards, Arnold

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal