Author Topic: 1/3rd scale V10  (Read 293342 times)

Offline luky_13

Re: 1/3rd scale V10
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2014, 04:34:05 AM »
This is one smashing build. The hottest one i have ever seen!

Keep up the good work Keith. Cheers!

Offline keith5700

« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2014, 04:44:06 PM »
A bit more progress. I wanted some bihex bolts for the cam pulleys. I modified some old m5 bolts I've had for years. Not sure I like the end result.
Then I wanted to make the exhaust manifolds. They are from 14 x 1mm wall 316 stainless tube.
I made the mandrel bender a while ago, just for this job.
It certainly beats the Cerrobend method I used on the v8.

It turned out to be harder than I thought, to get the 2 bends in the right place, so I ended up having to do each pipe in two bits.the plan was then to weld them up, but now I have the patterns I might try and copy them in one piece.

I also made the alloy jig this time, which helps. I did the v8 one by eye.

V8 looks on nervously...

Offline keith5700

« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2014, 04:51:50 PM »
Well, half that post just disappeared. I'll try again.
This is the camshaft bearing/seal arrangement...

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2014, 06:01:12 PM »
That's some complicated pipework  :praise2:  :praise2:
Best regards

Roger

Offline rockknocker

« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2014, 05:50:09 AM »
Amazing work! Methinks you may have done header work before...

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2014, 10:18:33 AM »
Awesome, simply awesome.

I've had a chap called Rorsberg on the phone who wants to know if you could apply your skills and attention to detail to the design and construction of a better steering wheel electrical connection setup for his car...

;D

AS
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Online sco

« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2014, 10:57:20 AM »
Awesome, simply awesome.

I've had a chap called Rorsberg on the phone who wants to know if you could apply your skills and attention to detail to the design and construction of a better steering wheel electrical connection setup for his car...

;D

AS

:censored:
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2014, 10:59:29 AM »
Yes he had a bit of bad luck but it has made it into a much closer competition for the rest of the season  :whoohoo:

And it is not as if anyone else is in the same class as either of them  8)

Jo
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 11:09:27 AM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2014, 11:42:00 AM »
Yes, it's re-levelled the field after Lewis' mechanical failures earlier in the season but I would prefer to have seen a mano-a-manno race between them (as would Lewis, by all accounts). I think that Lewis is the better all-round driver, and I think that Nico has realised that (and it hurts!) - he has won more races this year than Nico, and his charge after the safety car went in was just amazing. Reminded me of Mansell or Senna.

AS

Online sco

« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2014, 12:34:59 PM »
Lewis is without doubt the faster of the pair but relies heavily on the engineers for car setup and tuning - we expect Nico to cope better with the ban on radio comms, he's also a much nicer guy to talk to!
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2014, 12:44:55 PM »
It will certainly be interesting - Lewis has always made extensive use of his pit crew, but how much he is dependant on them is not clear. Lewis certainly seems to have an almost schuey-like strategic grasp during a race, often better than that of the garage crew who are looking 2-3 laps ahead while Lewis is also considering the whole of the remaining race and even the rest of the season in his tactical decisions (cf the concern over the risk of a second safety car and the comment about "saving the engine" in singapore).

Of course in theory the one who would suffer least from a ban on radio comms would have to be "I know what to do" Raikonnen...

:Lol:

What's your call on the best of the drivers at the moment? I'm torn between Hamilton and Alonso. I'd really love to see them both in comparable cars again. I suspect Hamilton has the edge, and he certainly looked better than Alonso when they were at Maclaren, but they've both developed and matured considerably since then.

AS

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2014, 01:02:24 PM »
Hi Keith,
Great work on the headers. When I built my V-twin I was confronted with some compound bends so I did as you did and made them in 2 pieces. Rather than weld them I made thin walled stainless sleeves to go over the joint then silver soldered them. By the look of your headers you might have room in your bender to manipulate 2 close bends. It's still a tricky proposition.
Fantastic work as usual.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2014, 02:20:16 PM »
Keith
Great work on the headers

All I will say to you racing hair dryer fans bring back the 3.5 litre V 10 and let's have some proper noise and realiblity.  :stir:

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2014, 04:56:03 PM »
I will admit that for the first couple of races I missed the high-reving screams (not to mention those of the engines), but it no longer bothers me. It's a very similar sound to the turbo cars of the early 90s (as verified by watching several of the "classic F1 races" they show on the sky F1 channel on weekday evenings.

What is noiticeably different is the extra torque of these hybrids compared to their (comparatively) weedy predecessors, so drivers now have to modulate the throttle out of corners rather than just planting the right foot as soon as the car is pointing vaguely straight - the extra driver skill required is very noticeable and is separating the good from the merely competent (as Vettel is discovering). Many of the drivers have remarked that these cars feel like the most powerful cars they've ever driven because of the shear brute grunt show-up-the-backside acceleration they have. I think reducing the influence of the aero performance has also put the emphasis more on driver skill by increasing the ratio of power to grip - again, this is quite noticable with some drivers.

But most of all I agree with the basic concept of adjusting the formula so that the vast F1 R&D resources are directed towards something which could be of value to society, as they did when F1 created the Euro-NCAP programme. F1 is a hothouse for performance & reliability development, and as these technologies filter out (which is the only reason why companies like Renault, Mercedes and Honda are involved) we have the prospect of the 150mpg family estate ("station wagon" in the colonies) becoming quite likely within the next 10 years, with all the economic and environmental benefits that it would bring.

AS

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2014, 05:09:08 PM »
Guys as F1 is using turbo charged V6's and keith is building a V10  :naughty: it might be appropriate to take this discussion into chatterbox  ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal