Author Topic: 1/3rd scale V10  (Read 293306 times)

Offline keith5700

Re: 1/3rd scale V10
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2014, 07:59:55 PM »

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2014, 08:04:57 PM »
That looks awesome Keith....a 275GTB 3 liter Ferrari V12 is on my list....I like your design details....taking notes!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline keith5700

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2014, 08:08:44 PM »
Sorry to just bang photos up with no write up, but I lost the text when I was halfway thro uploading the photos, so I'm doing it in two halves now. Still can't get used to the tapping required on the ipad.
There's a couple of drawings which may be of interest.

I've spent ages just making multiples of various things, locknuts, valve guides, head gasket rings, etc.
Then I made a start on the cam drive system. This will all be mounted on the steel plate set into the front of the block.
Hopefully the drawing of the belt arrangement will show better how it works. One side is shown on full advance and the other on full retard.

I made the plate from bright mild steel, but it bent like a banana after the first cut off one face, so I've been fighting it all weekend trying to machine it to size and leave it flat. I'll use ordinary black bar next time.

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2014, 08:44:30 PM »
Amazing stuff, Keith! Black bar = hot-rolled from the hardware store?

Simon

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2014, 08:51:53 PM »
I'd missed this thread. Awesome project. And awesome parts.
I can't wait to see this one run.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2014, 08:19:17 AM »
Simon

I suspect the ref to black bar means hot rolled the stuff with the scale on it

Being hot rolled it will not warp as the internal stresses have gone with the hot rolling

But as usual I may be wrong

BTW great work on the engine way beyond me and I have been at this game a long time but never done a IC one

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester UK (where the lathes were made)
    • Bill's website
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2014, 08:37:46 AM »
Wow8-)

I opened this thread on the last post above and thought you were using a cnc machine! Fabulous machining :D

Bill

Offline keith5700

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2014, 10:18:26 PM »
Yes, black bar, as in the hot rolled stuff with the black, or dark grey, scale.
I realised the bright bar would bend, but I thought I'd be able to machine both sides and bring it back flat, but it didn't work. Won't use that stuff again in a hurry.

Bill, thank you, yes all manual. I need to get some cnc stuff one day, I've just about reached the limit of the manual machines.

Offline keith5700

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2014, 01:02:17 PM »
Doesn't time fly?
I've got a fair few pics to upload over the next few days, to bring me up to date.

Firstly the cam belt drive gear train is in....

Then I fancied trying the cam covers. I wanted some better lugs on them this time, compared with the V8 ones, so ended up with this design,

Here is a list of co-ordinates needed to do the lugs on one side. So I had to go thro this lot 4 times, but I think it was worth it.

Offline keith5700

« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2014, 01:09:45 PM »
With the cam covers roughed out I could then line bore the camshaft bearings. I'm using the  lathe to turn and power feed, but the alignment is taken care of by running the boring bar in the end bronze bushes. Any misalignment in the drive is taken up by the  hex. allen key shaft drive..

Then I wanted to cut the combustion chambers in the heads. To get the block volume I filled the gap with plastacine modelling clay, cut it flush and then pulled the clay out. Then the clay was pushed into a tube and measured, and the volume worked out. It worked great, far better than messing about with liquids.

I ended up with a comp. ratio of 8.3:1. No pics of head yet.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2014, 01:37:04 PM »
Hi Keith,
Great work as usual. Where did you come by all the helical gears for the cam drive? Did you make them or were they off the shelf items?
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline keith5700

« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2014, 03:37:49 PM »
George, I bought the gears. I didn't want to use loads of time up making them. They were from HPC in the UK. About £75 for the 5 gears.
Cheers.

Offline keith5700

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2014, 04:00:56 PM »
Here is the making of the cam gear cover. Hopefully the pics are self explanetory....

#

Offline Coopertje

« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2014, 09:38:36 PM »
Hi Keith, every time I see a post of you I have to clean my Ipad, there is drewl all over it. You are a true artist  :praise2:you brain must smoke when machining this parts, keep the mill diameter on the correct side etc. so easy to make a wrong movement and ruin the part. Keep the pics comming, although way beyond my skills I am learning and enjoying them a lot! Thanks for sharing.

Jeroen

Offline Sacredbloodline

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2014, 03:11:06 AM »
Keith, I have been following your work for quite some time and I, like most, love your work and attention to detail. I know you're probably busy ornstuck on something but I was just wondering about progress. Also, have you done any thinking or research on the type of forced induction you might do?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal