Author Topic: 1/3rd scale V10  (Read 293333 times)

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
Re: 1/3rd scale V10
« Reply #285 on: December 23, 2016, 03:17:31 AM »
That is one beautiful engine! Can't wait to see it running. Especially from the front ......looking at the belts!

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline michelko

« Reply #286 on: February 03, 2017, 06:02:01 PM »
Hi keith i am working on a similar setup for spark and fuel for my bugatti engine.
Having big trobble with noise in the rpm signal. Could you please explain your system and the setup of sparkwires coils etc.?

Regards michael

Offline keith5700

« Reply #287 on: February 03, 2017, 09:15:11 PM »
Answered on your thread, to keep your project all in one place.

Offline michelko

« Reply #288 on: February 06, 2017, 08:52:13 PM »
Keith,
Could you explain how you did the triggering for ignition/injection?
Thanks.
Michael

Offline keith5700

« Reply #289 on: February 09, 2017, 10:39:02 PM »
Michael, sorry I missed this.
The main trigger is off the crank. The wheel is 30-1 tooth. The sensor is simple 2 wire vr type.
As I'm using full sequential ignition rather than wasted spark I then had to put a sensor on a camshaft. This is a hall sensor with a single magnet.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #290 on: February 09, 2017, 11:20:38 PM »
 :o :o :o :o :o

Just came across this for the first time.

Wow. That is some real craftmanship.  :ThumbsUp:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline ThomasM

• My modelengines
« Reply #291 on: June 18, 2017, 07:56:01 PM »
Hello Keith,

Unbelievable. Someone who is not related to model engineering or metal manufacturing probably could not be able to understand how much engineering and manufacturing skills are needed for such a project. This is way of my actual skills and manufacturing abilities and it is - again - unbelievable.

Best regards,
Thomas

Offline Nick_G

« Reply #292 on: June 18, 2017, 08:08:30 PM »
Sublime.

I don't have a good enough command of English to express how fantastic I think the whole project is from design to construction.  :ThumbsUp:

Nick

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #293 on: June 18, 2017, 09:39:37 PM »
WOW!!   I can only echo Nick's last comment :praise2: :praise2: :praise2:
Best Wishes      Terry

Offline ClaytonFirth

• Brisbane, Australia
« Reply #294 on: July 11, 2017, 02:30:33 AM »
Absolutely amazing work Keith. Are you still working on this project? It would be brilliant to see this working with the supercharger!.
 :cheers:
Clayton

Offline keith5700

« Reply #295 on: July 13, 2017, 12:50:04 PM »
hello, engine is pretty much the same still, but I have made a crude dyno, so just need some time to set it all up again and try and get some power figures.
I don't think the supercharger will ever get fitted. I'm thinking about whether to do one more engine at the moment. If I decide to do it then that will take up the next 2-3 years.

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #296 on: July 13, 2017, 02:27:13 PM »
Hi Keith, sure hope you keep us up to date on whatever project you decide to do.
Thomas

Offline keith5700

« Reply #297 on: September 22, 2017, 12:58:09 PM »
ok, update time. I've decided I'm going to make a 1/3 scale car/buggy/offroader to put the engine in. There's been too many people over the past few years asking why no-one ever puts one of these model engines in a car and get them to do some work. So we'll see why. It may be a complete disaster, especially with the V10, as there's so much stuff which has to go in with it to run.
Not sure where 10 x couilpacks are going to fit for a start!
Anyway, thats the plan at the moment.
I'm just collecting bits at the moment, and drawing up some preliminary designs.

The engine is still smoking badly so I decided to do something about it.
Removing the heads showed some cylinders far worse than others.

first trial was to put seals on the valve stems. the only way I could think was to O ring the stems. I had to make a new set of valves, but they are all in now, and engine is running.

Result is....no difference. Engine still smokes. At least I know now that it's the rings, or, lack of proper oil control ring.
So that's next on the list.

I tried to run it on the 'dyno' (friction disc and kitchen scales) but above 3000rpm it won't go into full load. I've had the fuel and ignition maps all over the range but it doesn't want to know.
I think now that it is being starved of air. the inlet system is fine for free revving, but to produce any power it needs opening up. Lots.

I need to cure the oil problem so I can get a wideband O2 sensor in the exhaust. trying to map the fuel by ear is a complete waste of time with this. Plus you can't hold a specific rpm/load position long enough to change things on the fly.

On my full sized engines I used the datalogging facility to great effect. Go for a run, look at the datalogs, and adjust fuel map in the house, whilst having tea!

So, oil problem needs solving first. If I can't do that then there's no point carrying on.
All the black oil on the bench came out of a manifold joint after about 15mins running.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #298 on: September 22, 2017, 06:11:37 PM »
It looks magnificent as ever  :praise2:  :praise2:

Is there a pattern to the oil burning cylinders? Are they the same on both banks? If so there could be excessive oil flow from the adjacent mains/big ends.

What is the cam timing? Is this restricting power over 3000rpm?
Best regards

Roger

Offline Mayhugh1

« Reply #299 on: September 23, 2017, 12:00:26 AM »
Keith,
I'm wondering what weight engine oil you're using and what oil pressure you're running? Immaculate work, by the way. - Terry

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal