Author Topic: Mercedes-Benz W165 Grand Prix engine in 1:3 scale  (Read 38197 times)

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
Re: Mercedes-Benz W165 Grand Prix engine in 1:3 scale
« Reply #240 on: February 25, 2018, 08:06:43 PM »
Hi Mike, that is really impressive.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Roger B

« Reply #241 on: February 26, 2018, 01:40:10 PM »
Excellent  :praise2:  :praise2: I look forward to seeing how the valve seats/combustion chambers assemble.
Best regards

Roger

Offline michelko

« Reply #242 on: February 26, 2018, 06:50:31 PM »
Wow awesome work :NotWorthy:

Online b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #243 on: February 26, 2018, 07:47:31 PM »
Just awesome Mike. Don't know what else to say, just a work of art!!

Bill

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #244 on: February 26, 2018, 09:10:44 PM »
Thanks everyone for your generous comments

My friends at Crosthwaite and Gardner, have recently published this photo on there webpage.

The caption says, "Clocking & setting the mill ready to machine valve seats on a fabricated cylinder block"
The cylinder block is from the 6.5litre Mercedes Benz W125 engine and the mill is a walk-in, drive -through, 4/5 axis workstation from Hass. The cylinder head is set over at the required angle on that massive 4th axis trunnion.
He looks happy in his work, so would you or I, given half a chance to do the same.

Doing exactly the same job on my 1/3 scale 1.5 litre W165 cylinder blocks. Almost the same set-up, except I am using a sine table instead of the 4th axis trunnion and  a tiny 3-axis Emco F1 Mill instead of a 4/5-axis Haas. (about 1/2 million ,$,Euro difference)

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Offline petertha

« Reply #245 on: February 27, 2018, 02:48:51 AM »
Beautiful work Mike.

I wanted to ask about the epoxy for the exhaust port stubs, was it their regular stuff (500-600F), or a more specialized adhesive like this?
https://www.jbweld.com/products/j-b-extremeheat

...screwed in bronze valve seats. Wow, going to watch for that. Watchmaker stuff.

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #246 on: February 27, 2018, 12:58:01 PM »
Hi Petertha,

I am using the regular (500-600*F) JB Weld on the cylinder blocks. The blocks are water-cooled aluminium, so I don't expect a temperature gradient above 240*F, even around the exhaust ports. The regular JB Weld should have an ample operating temperature reserve (I hope). JB Weld has a high filler content, so does not go soft and gooey at higher temperatures, like an unfilled epoxy (eg. Araldite). The only problem with JB Weld with all those fillers, is the risk of tracking when subjected to EHT voltages; spark plugs, distributors etc.

In order to avoid the "watchmaker stuff", I simplified the design and combined the valve guides and valve seats into one screw-in piece of bronze. That way I could ensure the valve guides, valve seats and the retainer thread were all concentric. The were so many valve guides (64, plus spares) to make, I welcomed the simplified design. It did consume an enormous amount of SAE 660 round bar.

Mike
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 03:08:30 PM by Vixen »
It is the journey that matters, not the destination