Author Topic: 1/3rd scale V10  (Read 293313 times)

Offline keith5700

1/3rd scale V10
« on: January 11, 2014, 01:59:55 PM »
Hello all. After completing a V8 I decided I wanted to do another engine. V8 and V12 have been done so I thought I'd try a V10. Initial research showed there wasn't much info out there, but I figured out the firing order and crank design eventually.
To get an even firing sequence the block vee should be 72 degrees, to match the crank angles.
The Dodge Viper has a 90 degree block and unequal firing angles.
Some engines have 90 degree blocks but have an 18 degree offset on the crank pins, to compensate.
I decided on a 10 degree crank pin offset and an 82 degree block.

It'll become more apparent when I get the pics up. It took a while for me to get my head round it all.
I'm a couple of months into the build now, so I'll just bang a load of pics up first, to get up to date.

I tend to just put pics up with a brief description, so if anyone wants more info then please just ask.
I've got no secrets, everything I do is available if requested, drawings, methods etc.

I also tend to make things up as I go along, so at the moment I've no idea what the heads or exhaust or cooling system etc is going to look like.

Right, rods first.....

Offline keith5700

Re: 1/3rd scale V10
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 02:16:35 PM »
The crankshaft was machined mostly on the milling machine using the dividing head.
The crank pin offset was easier than I thought
It took a while to make the end tooling, but I wanted to be able to do a quick re-grind in the future, if required.
I used the grinding setup from the v8 camshaft build to finish the crank off. It worked a treat.

Offline keith5700

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 02:25:13 PM »
The block looked like a big hefty lump but the dividing head is robust enough to machine it by just being bolted on at the one end. I thought it would need a centre steady on it, but it was fine.

Some of these pics are in the wrong order, as you can see.....

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 03:27:48 PM »
That crankshaft is a work of art!

The other parts are pretty darn nice too.

Dave

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 03:44:41 PM »
A man afta me own heart.....You bored it on the 608! :jumpingsmileys:

Looks awesome Keith....when the Wallaby is done. I want to do a V12...with Steves parts.

Dave

Or ...perhaps...based on your dividing head...that's a Hardinge Cataract?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 03:55:04 PM by steamer »
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Online sco

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 04:05:29 PM »
Agreed - awesome work there!

Thanks for posting, gives me the inclination to get back to my V8.

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline mikemill

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 04:24:17 PM »
Keith
Your workmanship is superb, I am interested in the non working surface's you achieve they look as though they are sand blasted, is that so? also what kind of references do you use or are you designing from scratch?

Thanks
Mike

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 04:31:33 PM »
That is magnificent  :praise2:
Best regards

Roger

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 05:00:47 PM »
Great stuff, Keith  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Can you talk about those little split bearings a bit? Did you solder on the little peg that holds them in place?

Simon

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 05:53:13 PM »
Great work there Keith.  All manual or CNC?

Vince

Offline keith5700

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 11:14:52 PM »
I'm not sure what make the dividing head is, it would be nice to identify it. I'll get a pic up. I got it as a block of rust and rebuilt it.
The finish on the rods is glass bead blasting. The crank has been shot preened with 330 sized steel shot, at low air pressure, just to give an as cast finish.

The pins on the rod bearings are soft soldered in. They are made from 1/16" brazing rod.
The rods were assembled with the bearings and then drilled in one go through the end cap into the rod, so all the holes lined up.

I have no cnc equipment, so everything was done manually. I would really like to get some cnc milling capability.

I have made the cast iron liners. These were made from some extruded cast bar which machines beautifully. I bored them all at the same setting on the Rivett lathe, and they came out almost perfect. I just honed them another thou' by hand afterwards which gave an amazing finish.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 12:53:26 AM »
Stunning work Keith.   :praise2:   I think the bead blasting and shot peening add a lot to the look too!

Bill

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 03:17:20 AM »
Hi Keith,
I followed everything on your first build and have complete admiration for your machining skills. In my many years of building and looking there aren't many that fit into this class, especially using hand tools. I'll definitely be following along on this build to pick up little tricks that you use for your fabrication and finishing.
When I saw your setup for line boring the block I was amazed at how little area on the cross slide you had to clamp the block down. I think this would have tensed me up to no end. One thing I did when I line bored my Holt engine was to make the bar with multiple inserts in it, one for each journal. That way I didn't have to run the carriage as far to finish the bores. I cut up pieces of 1/8th high speed steel, sharpened them and inserted them into the bar. I then miked over the bar and insert to set the cutting depth. I inserted the bar, mounted it between centers and then made my cut.
gbritnell
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 03:22:18 AM by gbritnell »
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 06:33:03 AM »
Hi Keith, that is really impressive. And I have to recognize, that I am still far away of such a kind build.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2014, 07:08:40 AM »
Right the first time....a 608 (Rivett)...nice.

The dividing head would appear to be....perhaps .... a Kempsmith.

Beautiful engine and jigs ...thanks for posting that!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal