Author Topic: I'm so excited  (Read 9742 times)

Offline rleete

• Rochester, NY USA
Re: I'm so excited
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 05:10:13 PM »
Am I the only one that has the slightly disturbing image of Bogs dancing to the 1970's disco song?

Offline Alan Haisley

• Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, USA
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2012, 05:20:25 PM »
John,

I'm really looking forward to this new adventure. I'm sure that you have set a record for "signups per hour".

Although I'm one of those strange people who love to see machining marks on my work rather than the majority who like the mirror look, I'll try to post something here that others can enjoy.

Alan

Bogstandard

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2012, 06:40:48 PM »
I would like to thank you all for your words of encouragement and congratulations.

But again, I must reiterate, it was not me who set up the site.

I only put out the cry for help, and when our benefactor contacted me yesterday, I couldn't have been more surprised than you lot.

I was just asked to gather about us the best minds and hands in the business, so I just went through my email lists and Skype contacts and asked them to spread the word. Sorry if I missed anyone out, but I was in sheer panic last night to get the word out.

And this is what we have ended up with, over 100 fabulous members in less than one day, admin in position, site looking very much like home, and as far as I have read, everyone is happy, except Marv of course, something about Aussie avatars has upset him ;D Don't worry Marv, just think about the bowler hat with sleeves, or me and my raspberries.

It can only get better.

John

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2012, 06:48:43 PM »
cracking job there Wallace ( opps John )

a very busy day but I bet you have enjoyed it

I have slung a few pic in the boiler section

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2012, 06:56:25 PM »
Nice one John ... looking forward to the journey!

Nick

Offline Stilldrillin

• Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2012, 09:04:04 PM »
Hi John.
It's great to be able to catch up with you again!

David D
David.
Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!
Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Offline MrSleepy

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2012, 11:46:28 PM »

Well done fellas..

I lurked frequently at hmem...and it was a great resource because of you guys.

Long may you continue..

Rob

fcheslop

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2012, 11:53:54 PM »
Hi John,really pleased to see this site congratulations to all concerned with the start up it must have been a whirl wind ride
best wishes to all
frazer

Troutsqueezer

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2012, 12:11:59 AM »
These latest events, strangely enough, have a remarkable similarity to one of my other hobbies - beekeeping. Why? Well, I have to deal with hives swarming several times each year. That is when the bees, for one reason or another, decide to gather up about half the stored honey and pollen then using some unknown criteria split themselves into two groups. One group stays and the other group leaves with the old queen. Before they left, the bees made sure there were fresh queen cells so those bees who have remained behind are not left queenless.

Upon leaving the hive, they land in a nearby tree (having followed the queen there) and bunch themselves up into a large cluster. You've probably seen them, or pictures of them in this state. Scouts are then sent out in all directions to locate a new place to shack up. Once an adequate dwelling is found, they report back to the cluster and the whole lot of them follow the scout and head out for the new digs. But, as a beekeeper I catch the swarm while they are still in a cluster and shake them into a box. That way I have a new, free, hive. Hopefully the queen is in the middle of that cluster and once placed in the new box her pheromones will attract those bees still in the air. To help get those pheromones out, a number of bees will position themselves on top of the box and point their rear ends up into the air and fan their little wings as hard as they can, signaling the others that a new home has been found and they should begin their landing approach. In a matter of ten minutes, all bees that have left the original hive are in the new box. There, they unload the honey and pollen they took with them from the old hive and the foragers immediately get to work gathering more honey and pollen.

Now, I'm not saying that Marv was one of those little bees fanning the pheromomes but the whole thing is a lot like what's happened here.  ;D

-Trout

« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 12:15:23 AM by Troutsqueezer »

Offline Bill_S.

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2012, 01:38:40 AM »
In our case: the pheromone-- is called "brain drain".  ;-)  I'm happy I followed the scent and found this forum was being started.

Thank you John & admins!   

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal