Author Topic: Women shouldn't be engineers  (Read 10053 times)

Online sco

Re: Women shouldn't be engineers
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2014, 09:28:39 PM »
Kew's on my list of places to visit - why not hold the first stationary group meeting there?
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park. RSA
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2014, 09:56:42 PM »
This is one study regarding divorce by profession. 
http://lexfridman.com/blogs/thoughts/2012/04/14/divorce-rates-by-profession/

A quote from it.
The table below identifies that the highest divorce rates are for dancers, bartenders, and massage therapists, all around 40%. Perhaps the extroverted nature of these job reflects a personality that is unwilling to commit or quickly gets tired of the same old thing. The occupations with the lowest divorce rates (of less than 10%) mostly seem to be engineers. I was very surprised to read this, because of the intellectual and mental toll that a lot of these jobs take. The engineers I know become extremely passionate about their work, which I assumed can take away from the marriage. But perhaps it doesn’t. There’s hope for us nerds after all.

So women and engineering shouldn't be a problem for divorce, unless of course it's women.  Dancers and massage therapists -more women than men, not sure about bartenders.  :LittleDevil:   :Jester:

:cheers:
DaveH

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park. RSA
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2014, 10:30:41 PM »
“Women shouldn’t be Engineers” Well I disagree I think they should.  :ThumbsUp:
The main reason in my day that females didn’t become Engineers was exposure. At school whilst I was doing woodwork and metalwork the girls were doing domestic science and needlework and that set the trend.

I always fancied domestic science, they use to make some very nice cakes.  :whoohoo:

Any of you think that women can’t be good engineers just look what women did during the war. The unsung heroes
DaveH

Offline bp

• Adelaide, SA
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2014, 12:57:13 AM »
Talking about pay rates, and equality.
Once upon a time in a far off land there were approximately 8 individuals employed as Engineers within a manufacturing environment.  Specialities included Optical, Electronic, Mechanical, Industrial.  Because of my job I had access to pay scales.  The highest pay went to the Optical Eng., he (yes a male) was a genius on, lets say $62,000; the second highest was a "Mech Eng" (job title) working as a tooling draftsman, on $61,000; then there was a gap to me as a Mech Eng on $42,000; a lady Industrial Eng, with two degrees (Electronics, Ind Eng) on $41,000, then there were about four young graduates two male, two female, all Electronics, all on about $35,000 each.

Nobody begrudged the Optical guy his dosh, he truly was a one off.  The tooling draftsman was another case entirely, within his field (tooling for mills) he was excellent.  Outside that field he wasn't much good at all.
cheers
Bill

Offline Bezalel

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2014, 05:05:58 AM »
“Women shouldn’t be Engineers” Well I disagree I think they should.  :ThumbsUp:
The main reason in my day that females didn’t become Engineers was exposure. At school whilst I was doing woodwork and metalwork the girls were doing domestic science and needlework and that set the trend.

I always fancied domestic science, they use to make some very nice cakes.  :whoohoo:

Any of you think that women can’t be good engineers just look what women did during the war. The unsung heroes
DaveH

Too right.  :ThumbsUp:

When the blokes were staffing the factories, they weren't getting bombs thrown at them day and night.!!!

Queensland - wet one day, humid the next

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal