Author Topic: Proper Set Screw Etiquette  (Read 9491 times)

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
Re: Proper Set Screw Etiquette
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2014, 02:03:44 AM »
FYI

I started looking around and found two sources for small "taper bushings", in addition to Transtorque. Stock Drive Products (search for "taper bushings") has some. Also Econobelt.com. Both tend towards metric (yuck) but Econobelt has some small inch versions stuck into the list. About half the cost of Transtorque. These look simple enough to machine at home, much simpler than the Transtorque system. They also work with a straight bore and round shafting. I'm not sure how they are released though. They are small, so maybe a small hammer? :-)

Hugh
Hugh

Offline ogaryd

• SW Florida
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2014, 02:54:22 AM »
I'm a member of the set screw haters club too, install on top of a keyway works OK. There are many ways to hold flywheels to shafts that hold tightly & are cleanly removable without all the aggravation of slipping flywheels, burred shafts, rounded hex wrenches & spilt or rounded set screws. Yes set screws are one of my peeves. Gary
"Effort equals Results"

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2014, 04:04:21 AM »
I appear to be the one out here......... :facepalm: & this is a little off thread but still relates to HPGS & SHCS

1. Following costly hydraulic cylinder failures, our Australian steel industry studies in 2012 confirmed that there was no recognised or accepted [A&NZ, British, ANSI or DIN Standard] for the nomination of Scotch Keys .. [being hollow pointed grub screws], their sizing or positioning
2. Installing two HPGS @ 90 degrees to a component on a shaft is only guaranteed to off set the diametrical clearance to the greatest deviation

HPGS are a necessary component element in engineering...if they are sized & installed correctly  :hammerbash: they will not fail ............Derek
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2014, 05:22:37 AM »
And they bugger up the shaft when they loosen....and they do loosen...and getting them apart after the shaft is buggered up is miserable......and I've yet in 30 years of designing all kinds of equipment from boom trucks, implantable medical devices, machine tools and automated test handlers and  extruders for fiber optics.... I've yet to see one that works half as well as was desired!...and never as well as a taper collet or a taper pin, or a clamp collar..or a living hinge.....or just about ANY other solution...other than a set screw!... :hammerbash:

Other than that I have no strong feelings on the matter.....

.,.....Did I mention I hate setscrews? 8)

"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2014, 05:34:10 AM »
And yes you can make small taper collets...this one for my Seadog.

That's the camshaft gear....and once on ....ITS ON.

The angle is 10 degrees included.....it's a copy of a ETW design.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal