Author Topic: Hugh Currin's Shop  (Read 6539 times)

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
Hugh Currin's Shop
« on: December 16, 2013, 06:57:49 PM »
I have a small machine shop under a detached two car garage. It measures 20'x20'. Small by machine shop standards but probably in the middle of what those here have. It's dedicated to metal work with the minimal wood working tools in the basement.

In the mid-1980s, after a couple of years at a “real” job, I realized I could afford some machine tools. So I spent all my savings on a lathe, a mill, and minimal tooling. The lathe is a 14”x33” 5HP Goodway from Taiwan which I purchased new. Compared to others here, a large lathe. I've used no other lathes to any extent, but really like this one.

I've build a few add-ons including a tool post grinder, 5C collet holder, soft jaws, etc. One advantage of a larger lathe, with a 5MT spindle, is a 5C nearly fits inside the Morse taper. An adapter is a fairly clean addition.

My mill is a Bridgeport size knee mill, a 2HP SuperMax also from Taiwan. I purchased this used with mechanical dial readouts on the X and Y axes.

Some 15 years ago, after too much futzing with a rotary table, I initiated the adventure of retrofitting my mill for CNC. After 3 or 4 years of part time effort, I had a three axis CNC mill. I haven't used the rotary table since. I'm now using VariCAD as my CAD system and SheetCAM for generating G-code. Both run on a Linux system which is the only operating system I now use. Obviously I use LinuxCNC for the machine controller. SheetCAM is a 2 ½ D package and I'm still looking for an inexpensive 3D CAM package for Linux.

There's a 7” horizontal band saw from MSC and a very old converted vertical wood band-saw. The vertical isn't too useful but retains its place.

I also have a old SyncroWave 250 welder set up for TIG. TIG welders have gotten so much smaller, with improved power electronics, but this one is in place and works well. (works far better than I do.) When I purchased it, it was the smallest welder available with high frequency for aluminum.

The newest addition is a stationary belt sander I built last summer.

And, needing a small tube bender to fix the one shot oiler on the mill, I made one from plans. Some might recognize the plan set.

As I mentioned, the shop is on the bottom floor of a two car garage. It's half sunk into the grade (nicely cool in summer) with only one people sized door.  I wrestled for some time how to move the equipment in. It was either open up a double door and fix the “driveway” to it, or build a hoist and lower the machine tools through the floor of the upper garage. The trap door won so I built a gantry of 4”x4”s and an I-beam. Using a fork lift and chain hoist the equipment was lowered into the shop. I wish I had pictures, but alas you'll just have to believe me. It was exciting. I think of this every time someone talks about moving a machine into the basement of up some stairs.

But the item which may generate the greatest envy is this radiator.

We live in a very unique neighborhood in Klamath Falls, Oregon where one can drill a hot water well. We don't pump water from the well (that's against code) but run two pipe loops down 200+ feet and back up. The water comes out at 180F. One loop for domestic hot water and one for heating. Well, the shop is plumbed into the heating loop keeping it at 68F, for free. It's really nice, forever hot showers and if the house gets stuffy just open a couple of windows and turn up the heat. (Though at -15F the shop loop struggles and the temp can drop to 60F or so, oh well.)

So, there's a quick tour of my shop. That's most of the stuff, without looking into the drawers. I do like the equipment and find it more capable than I am. Being newly retired I hope to spend more time there. An engine build has risen to the top of the list. I'll likely start a Webster IC build soon.

I hope this is of some interest. Thank you for coming along on the ride and reading this far.
Hugh

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Re: Hugh Currin's Shop
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 07:22:07 PM »
You look very well kitted out there. Get the swarf flying  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

Offline ReFlad

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 10:32:14 PM »
I think your shop is much much larger than most hobby machinist!  Very nice equipment.  I am truly envious!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 11:52:10 PM »
Very nice setup Hugh, your shop looks well equipped. Your vertical bandsaw could be more useful. I converted mine with a VFD and put a carbide blade on it and now can cut anything I want with little effort. I hope to see some of your projects posted.

Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 12:57:08 AM »
Nice looking shop Hugh... you should be able to do most anything you set your mind to with all that equipment.

Bill

Offline Swifty

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 01:38:17 AM »
Your well set up to tackle most projects, my mill is about the same size, and it's great.

Paul.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 07:59:25 AM »
Very nice, well equipped shop Hugh! I like it.  Maybe someday when my shop grows up... :)
Kim

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 04:47:01 PM »
Welcome, Hugh, and what a great shop! I remember passing through Klamath Falls on my way up from San Jose to Seattle on the train; what a beautiful part of the world!

Simon

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 06:30:56 PM »
Roger, there will be chips everywhere soon. I spent several days cleaning up for pics so it looks much cleaner than usual.

ReFlad, it seems small every time I look for space to put more toys. But it is a great space, I am lucky.

Bill, I agree that my tools are capable of doing nearly anything I set my mind to. My skills are the limiting factor but I'm usually able to get parts I'm happy with.

Paul, I do like my mill. It's a good trade-off between space and capability. Nice to have some mass behind a cut.

Kim, I've seen pictures of your new lathe, your shop is rapidly growing. Next time you get to this end of the state let me know, I'll buy coffee (or a brew).

Thanks Simon. The country here is beautiful, and not yet too crowded. We toured New Zealand some years ago. A Kiwi told us that the USA was nice but too spread out, in New Zealand there's mountains, desert and sea shore all within a days drive. I thought to myself, "sounds like home to me". We did really like New Zealand and found it quite similar to Oregon.

Don, the vertical band saw has a reduction box (timing belts) on it so it's running about the right speed. This was installed when I inherited it. The problem is with belts slipping on the slow speed side, driving the lower band wheel. I replaced the single V-belt with a dual but it still slips.

A VFD would be nice, but the mill gets one before the bandsaw. I think it would require a three phase motor also. This wouldn't prevent the belts from slipping. It's a low priority but would like to hear any solutions you guys have. Maybe a timing belt drive?

Thank you all. I'm off to compile a materials list for my Webster build.

Hugh
Hugh

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 12:06:02 AM »
Hugh, one way to overcome the belt slip would be to change to poly-V belt, the motor pulley is a bit small for a V belt, although I did partially cure that on my vertical milling machine by using an automotive fan belt that has notches in the back/inside of it, that allows it to flex more, it's a B section belt, and the pulley is smaller than yours.
     No one has ever had a workshop that's too big!      Ian S C

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 05:01:27 PM »
Ian:

Thanks for the note. A poly-V would be better. After reading your note I've thought a chain drive may also work well and, I suspect, be less expensive than a poly-V drive. After all the reduction the rpm is very low, good for a chain. It eliminates the overload safety of a belt slipping though. I wonder where the next weakest point is?

I may try a chain drive, the parts aren't too expensive and locally available. If I do I'll report back.

Thanks again.

Hugh
Hugh

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2013, 12:53:51 AM »
Don & Ian:

My thanks to Don for suggesting my vertical bandsaw could be quite useful. And my thanks to Ian for suggesting something other than a V-belt. My old set in the ways mind was stuck of a V-belt drive. "It had one to start so it must be right." Ian's suggestion made me re-evaluate this assumption. It's a very slow speed, which would be great for a chain drive. Don's comment convinced me to make the change.

I was able to source the parts locally and put the drive together today. It no longer slips and cuts much better. There is more strain on the reduction system though which may have to be rebuilt down the road, if it sees a lot of use. But for now it's a great improvement. Thanks guys.

Hugh
Hugh

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2013, 11:58:23 AM »
How about a chain guard - it will improve safety and chain life if done properly  :stickpoke:

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2013, 03:48:20 PM »
Admiral_dk:

I didn't mention it, but a chain guard will be added. It's on the back side of the machine, but still needs one. It'll be a simple sheet metal fabrication rather than an oil bath, it'll keep dirt and chips of the chain.

Thank you for noting this, I need all the reminders I can get.

Hugh
Hugh

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2013, 01:02:27 AM »
Hugh glad to see you sorted it out. It will be a useful piece of equipment.

Don

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal