Author Topic: R8 Collet Storage  (Read 4453 times)

Offline Mike OConnor

• Tallahassee, Florida USA
R8 Collet Storage
« on: January 03, 2014, 12:18:34 PM »
Hello Everyone,

After seeing krt2's thread this morning on his 5C collet storage solution, I thought I would add my R8 version that I completed a few weeks ago.

The inspiration for mine came from Paula, who is one of the members here I believe. She posted hers on another forum a while back and as the saying goes... "Imitation is the highest form of flattery". Thanks for the great idea Paula!

The wood that I used was a cut-off of a piece of S4S hard maple that I bought to replace the wooden top of an Atlas 10F lathe that I restored back in the late 1980's. I think it should be dry by now. ;) I was able to salvage these two pieces from the 12" long cut-off that was 9" wide in spite of a crack that had developed over time on the end. The overall dimensions are: 1-5/8" thick x 3-1/4" wide x 11-3/8" long. I used a bandsaw to rough out the stock and machined to width with a sharp HSS facemill in the vertical mill. Hardwood such as this maple machines beautifully. To keep the dust down, I held my shop vacuum nozzle near the cutter as the milling was taking place. The overall mess was surprisingly minimal. The only dedicated woodworking machines that I have are a 10" miter saw and a hand held router that I used to put the 1/8" chamfer around the top. I used a 1" Forstner bit to bore the holes for the collets which are on 1-5/8" centers and 1-5/8" apart. The holes are 1-7/16" deep which leaves 3/16" of material at the bottom of the hole. To finish, the blocks were given a light sanding and finished with a clear Watco Danish Oil. Once dry, I attached some square adhesive backed felt pads to the bottom.

The fun part of course, was finally putting all of the tooling in the holders and freeing up all the space in the drawers and bench top that the loose tooling took up.

Thanks again Paula for a great idea!

Mike

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: R8 Collet Storage
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 12:22:07 PM »
Well Done Mike....I made a collet rack for my 3C's but not the block method...but in retrospect, probably would have been less work to do it that way..

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Mike OConnor

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 12:55:14 PM »
Thanks Dave!

I have a question about the photos in this post. I used the Photobucket 'IMG' code in the draft because the 'HTML' code showed nothing in the preview. Is this OK? Or, is there a better method? I am trying to get used to using an iPad for photos, as my 8 year old camera just died. I could not pick a photo from the 'Camera Roll' and get it to insert in to the draft (or show up in the preview) using the Attachment function as I have done in the past with my PC.

Thanks,
Mike

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 01:00:26 PM »
Very nicely done Mike....what wood did you use for yours?

Bill

Offline Mike OConnor

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 01:12:34 PM »
Thanks Bill!

I used some hard maple that was tucked away from a previous project about 25 years ago.

Mike

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 02:41:50 PM »
Mike

The photo's need to stay under 10MB to attach directly..  That may be why it wouldn't attach.     Using PB and the IMG code is good practice.  I use it all the time.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 03:24:40 PM »
Hi Mike,
Very nice looking storage blocks for your collets! Much nicer looking than my rough work for sure!  I did noting but cut to size and drill holes :)
Thanks for sharing your design.
Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal