Author Topic: Renown Steam Roller  (Read 4638 times)

Offline Tinkerer58

Renown Steam Roller
« on: December 31, 2013, 05:46:25 AM »
I have just scored a Renown Steam Roller, from what I have read they are quite rare as not too many were made. So another little piece of history will be saved.
She is in pretty poor condition but I'm determined to save her. If anyone can please provide the the length of the piston, and the dimension from the top of the piston to the bottom hole of the conrod. Both these are missing, details of the original conrod construction will also be greatly appreciated. I'm going to keep it's patina original but it may be difficult considering the number of buckles and dents that I need to removed. Also would like details and dimensions for the steam whistle lever and the rod that goes from the front roller bracket to the rear of the engine used to steer it.
I have posted the pics below and assistance and history would be greatly appreciated.
I just wanna be in me bloody shed.

Offline JFB

Re: Renown Steam Roller
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 07:46:14 AM »
The piston has a length of 0.509 inches and the dimension from the top of the piston the the centre line of the crankshaft is 1.867.

As to its construction I have seen numerous forms, the last being on a windmill (another of Leonard John Pugh's toys) which had a conrod of approximately 0.030 thickness from what looked like spring steel. Excellent pictures of a roller showing the construction can be found at http://www.freewebs.com/ozsteam/renownroller.htm. My efforts are far simpler with simply a square crankshaft end. I will attempt to attach a drawing of the piston that I have used successfully on a number of occasions.

If you are still in need of this information I can measure the whistle actuating arm

Note that all of Leonard's toys - vertical engine, windmill and steam roller share many of the same parts

Offline PStechPaul

• Cockeysville, MD 21030
Re: Renown Steam Roller
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 08:24:05 PM »
That is a pretty cool toy. Does it actually run on steam power? I think it would be best to keep it as much original (as in present banged up condition) as possible, and if you add the missing pieces, they should be "antiqued" to match. It looks like the power to the rear wheels is applied by means of axle shafts using just friction drive to the rims. I wonder if that is how the actual full-size version works, or would it use some sort of gear drive? Not that I would change it, but just curious.

Ah, watching the video shows that they do indeed run on real live steam power (although not always reliably). Not sure it was a good idea to run them on a wooden floor?  :o  And the wheel drive seems to be a small rubber wheel on the shaft. Still wonder what their full size versions use(d).
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 08:31:48 PM by PStechPaul »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal