Author Topic: Another UPT  (Read 68401 times)

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Re: Another UPT
« Reply #240 on: March 04, 2014, 02:48:16 AM »
Hi Jo

I'm wondering why you didn't just quench the parts straight out of the furnace? The hardening compound mostly ends up in the bottom of the quench and what ever is left on the parts is easily rubbed off or brushed away.

I have used Kasenit both as a heat it with the torch, dip and reheat then repeat; then quench in water.  The other way for a deeper case do as you did and bury the part in the Kasenit powder in a proper container and soak in the furnace at temperature for a couple of hours; then dump the contents of the container into the quench. The parts will come out almost clean with a very hard deep case.

Dave

PS. I'm looking forward to seeing how these staking parts are going to be used.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #241 on: March 04, 2014, 07:08:15 AM »
Dave I did plan to do that but when I gave it a little clean up the scallops in the sides were showing too many machining lines so decided to give it a better polish before finally hardening it when nothing more could be done.

The deep soak did an excellent job, the surface is seriously like skating on ice  8) I might use that technique again  ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #242 on: March 04, 2014, 09:48:18 PM »
Having popped the balls into the ends of the offset staking tool bits, it was time to make the number stamp holder. So having turned the basic shape it was off to the mill and using a wobble finder the centre:

Then mill the 14.3mm deep slot for the number stamp:

Rotate it 90 degrees mill and drill for the slot for the spring and the ball bearings:

Check the depth using a ball bearing but make sure it stays attached to a magnet to prevent the workshop gnome adding another ball to his collection  :rant:. Then as everything is square tap for the 10BA screw:

Whilst in the mill drill the two holes for the pins before demounting and taking it over to the other machine fitting a number stamp and a suitably milled insert and drill through for the two pins.

Off and silver solder the separate piece into the slot, clean up on the lathe. Then find out that the number stamps are not necessarily straight  :facepalm:, square  :facepalm2: or a consistent size even out of the same box :rant:

So I have a little bit of fiddling around to find a bit of spring steel and some filing of that slot to let the stamps slide easily but there is really not a lot left for the UPT... So I can get on with those other bits and bobs that have been :embarassed: happening in the background.

Jo

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #243 on: March 04, 2014, 09:56:44 PM »
Jo I had the same problem with my number stamps, as I had to sand every one on all sides to get them flat and straight. You can use a old hack saw blade or band saw blade for the leaf spring. I made mine with a band saw blade. You doing some very nice work Jo.

Don

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #244 on: March 04, 2014, 10:21:20 PM »
Hammering a bit of brass rod flat works quite well.

Rod

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #245 on: August 29, 2014, 10:15:44 AM »
It looks like another person wishes to make a UPT  :pinkelephant:

So Rod I hope you do not mind  :embarassed: I will pass the book you gave me on to Peter so he can make himself one.

Jo

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #246 on: August 29, 2014, 02:05:57 PM »
No problem.  Happy to see it passed on to a deserving cause.

Cheers,

Rod

Offline Bruno Mueller

• My Homepage
« Reply #247 on: January 26, 2023, 10:20:45 AM »
Hi guys,
It's been many years since anything was written in this post.
I made my UPT several years ago. However, I didn't use castings, but continuous castings from the steel trade. I milled all the parts out of solid material. The base was built from scrap parts. I followed the drawings from the book by Geo. H. Thomas and converted all the measurements into the metric scale. This way I could work better as a Central European. The work on the device was actually never completed. Some accessory is always still useful. So I also built an arm with which it is possible to turn the table in the vertical plane. I made a finger plate for very small drilling operations. I refurbished a small vice (from my apprenticeship) and added it.
Here are some pictures of the machine.

For further information, please refer to my homepage.
https://mueller-bruno.de/saeulenwerkzeug-pillar-tool.html

« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 11:22:10 AM by Bruno Mueller »
http://mueller-bruno.de/  http://www.bosch-combi.de/
Whoever talks shit about me behind my back is in the best position to lick my ass. 
Greetings from the southwest of Germany.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #248 on: January 26, 2023, 10:46:37 AM »
Looks very nice and usefull  :ThumbsUp:

Per

Offline Del_61

« Reply #249 on: January 26, 2023, 12:16:22 PM »
Looks great !

I built mine using the olde English measuring units from castings. It is such a useful well designed piece of kit.

I never graduated the table, I noticed that you did yours, is it worth doing? .....

All the best

Derek

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #250 on: January 26, 2023, 05:18:10 PM »
Nice work on a very useful tool…. :ThumbsUp:

:cheers:
Don

Offline Bruno Mueller

• My Homepage
« Reply #251 on: March 22, 2023, 11:46:52 AM »
Looks great !

I built mine using the olde English measuring units from castings. It is such a useful well designed piece of kit.

I never graduated the table, I noticed that you did yours, is it worth doing? .....

All the best

Derek

##Derek##
No the graduation of the table is not really worth it. I have never needed these.
The swivel table holder is a fine thing. I have needed this several times.
Whoever talks shit about me behind my back is in the best position to lick my ass. 

Offline lockstocknbarrel

« Reply #252 on: June 30, 2023, 10:07:26 AM »
I would like to publicly thank Jo for this thread, Posts on a start to finish with this much content are very rare.
I have a unfinished UPT under my bench 1985, all made with homemade castings and has now been brought out into daylight.

I have downloaded 169 pages and posts over 6000 words by jo into a separate folder and have now read every single post.
But I have a question, Jo what has happened to the balance of the build, it had just got to the (Juicy Bits) the little fiddley addon stakes and extra's that you cannot find anywhere on the internet.

Thank you Jo
Kindest Regards
Dave Weir...aka, Beagles.

Kindest Regards
"Beagles"

Offline Bruno Mueller

• My Homepage
« Reply #253 on: July 08, 2023, 09:45:18 AM »
My Pillar Tool accessories.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2023, 09:36:07 AM by Bruno Mueller »

Offline lockstocknbarrel

« Reply #254 on: July 09, 2023, 11:38:17 AM »
Hi Bruno, thank you for posting these photos of your fantastic work on the UPT, I was beginning to wonder if Jo had fallen ill, as she had not showed the machining, of the rest of the small tool for the UPT or the completed machine project.
Regards Beagles.

P.S I sent Jo a private message but no reply, hope she is OK.
Could somebody check on her for me Please.
Regards Beagles. 
Kindest Regards
"Beagles"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal