Author Topic: Another UPT  (Read 69481 times)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Another UPT
« on: December 25, 2013, 09:15:59 AM »
Father Xmas dropped me off a little something:

The starting point for the Universal Pillar Tool (UPT) is a 15” long piece of ground mild steel. This needs a 38.1mm length turned down to 19.05mm to enable it to be used as a gauge for boring the base. I also decided to slot the back of the column as it shows on the clock bushing tools as that gives me a means of providing positive location for staking should I need it

The base is a tricky casting because of the draft angle you have to start by filing or milling flats onto the top to enable it to be held securely. Once this is done it is then possible to secure it in a four jaw chuck bottom face out for machining.

It is not an easy job and I found that the standard tool holder did not give me sufficient clearance to be able to finish the profile  up to the column so I made use of this extended tool holder:

So the bottom is cleaned up.

Now we can turn it round and look to centralise the part where the column is going to mount. First turn the top square and the outside edge down to the clamp boss. Then bore to fit the column:

Measuring the fit with a suitable bore gauge and finally checking with the column itself:

Before going any further I need the clamps for the column. These start out as a piece of 12.7mm bras that first needs to have a slot cut down the side. This is to enable the pin to be inserted into the casting to prevent this nut from turning when you attempt to tighten the fixing.

Now we can drill, tap and part off the nuts. Note that these are all left long: The hole in which they will be fitted goes over the centre line and so must these. Then once the boring for the various columns is down we will shorten these nuts so that they do not go past the centre line and when tightened will clamp against the column.

It is so nice having the electricity back :naughty:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
Re: Another UPT
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 09:32:05 AM »
Jo

Nice work as usual. Mind you we expect no other from you.

Anyway merry Xmas and enjoy you visitor.

Glad you have survived the storms, we had no trouble here in the lee of the Pennines , I hope other readers have got thought with to much trouble ,

Off now down Sarf got to get Ito the lingo down ther ,the SIL does not understand our Derbyshire dialect

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 11:12:27 AM »
That's a lot of progress Jo, especially for being without power for a while!!  Looking good so far!!

Bill

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 11:53:52 AM »
It's amazing what you can do with treadle power  :o

Merry Christmas Jo and all the best for a productive New Year Look - looks like you're off to a good head start  :ThumbsUp:

Regards - Ramon

(PS I have escaped kitchen duties would you believe - 'Chrimbo' dinner is off to day - Sues in bed with Man Flu  :-\. It's off to the workshop then  ;D)
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 01:53:50 PM »
Looking good Jo, you seem to be off to a good start. It will be interesting to see how you go about building your Pillar tool.

Don

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 02:24:40 PM »
Glad you're back on the grid. Nice start there. Hiw many projects are you working on simultaneously? I find if I do more than one, it's not pretty
Best,
Stan

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 02:33:35 PM »
Looks great Jo!....glad you got the power back too!.....Merry Christmas!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 07:55:55 PM »
Nothing like a new project to keep the juices flowing. See, sometimes redneck advice isn't all bad and I feel honored you listened. I hope you are having a Merry Christmas and here's to a castingful New Year :cheers:

Whiskey

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2013, 08:52:49 PM »
Hiw many projects are you working on simultaneously?

:thinking:

The S&P is just finishing  ;D,
The R&B is still not running  :'(,
The Double Tangye is an in filler, whose sole purpose is to let me make the Pickering :Love: Governor 
The Corliss  :embarassed: I have not mentioned for a while (think of it like Agnes  ;))
and the BB1 is not really under way, yet :naughty:
as for the UPT... it was so tempting today :shrug:

Well I have made more progress on all of those than what I gave myself as my new years resolution project. I have asked lots of people if they have any ideas worth following up on but  :-[ nothing so I still see plenty of time for engines in my future.

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2013, 08:54:49 PM »
(PS I have escaped kitchen duties would you believe - 'Chrimbo' dinner is off to day - Sues in bed with Man Flu  :-\. It's off to the workshop then  ;D)

Hope she is feeling better ASAP, the workshop is fun but having a partner who is not well isn't  :-[.

Jo

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 03:00:49 PM »
I'm still torn about the UPT...My Clausing is so easy to manipulate, I can twirl the spindle by the draw bar with two fingers, which makes tapping very easy.  That leaves sensitive drilling, which is ALMOST can do, but I think a small Albrecht would do the same for me

I think it's the "cool" factor that I find attractive,....though I don't have the room for more machines.....

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2013, 04:30:09 PM »
Thanks Jo - Sue's not too bright at all - it's a bit of a downer but nothing we can't get over

Re your UPT - I've had a tinkering to do something if not the same since GT first described in ME. I don't have the castings but do have a nice cast base plate and top arm for a small drill which was bought with similar good intention  ::). Somehow. when the point arises when I think 'I could use a UPT here' it's too late and there always seems to be a way round the problem so it gets left - until the next time - ad infinitum ;)

I shall follow with a degree of envy then :D

Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2013, 04:47:42 PM »
My best wishes for Sue's rapid recovery.

I have a number of the Hemmingway gadgets and so far have been very impressed with all of the designs they have chosen to stock. The Tidy vice is a cutey which is so much nicer that the commercial ones to use. My Versatile Dividing Head is a home welded one and is excellent, but I did picked up that set of castings to make a real one  :pinkelephant: My thoughts are that I might steal the micro head and dividing plate off the other and leave that as a simple indexing head  ;)

The UPT... I need a staking tool for the BB1, many years ago, BD, I had a high precision PCB drill which was great for drilling very fine holes, lots of feel  ;). I have the baby proxxon and that is good, but lacks feel. The BCA does fine drills in her stride.. but lacks feels.... Can you see where this is going  :embarassed: And my parents have finally been trained to buy me tools/castings for Xmas and I get them to buy me the things that I  :o would not buy myself   

Jo

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2013, 05:53:23 PM »
Jo

You need one of these. And I just happen to have one that I dont' need.

It has a super little 0 - 5/32" Jacobs chuck, the whole thing is only about 18" tall an 20" front to back, it runs at silly RPM for small drills.

More here.
http://s456.photobucket.com/user/pgp001/library/Model%20Engineering/Various%20Tooling/Multico%20Drill?sort=3&page=1

Make me an offer 3/8" BCA collet I cannot refuse and its yours if you can arrange pickup.  :Lol:
Phil

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2013, 09:20:31 AM »
 :lolb:

:headscratch: Interesting GHT suggests boring the arms with it bolted to a face plate and shows doing it on a Myford: but the standard Myford faceplate is too small to do this and so is my Prazimat. But there are always alternatives  :naughty:

Jo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal