Author Topic: Rotary valve engine and bonus  (Read 45343 times)

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: Rotary valve engine and bonus
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2012, 09:42:48 AM »
Thats coming along great Steve! That's an interesting engine.  Can't say that I've seen that one before.

As far as a gasket compound, I suppose a shellac based gasket compound would work....easy to clean off if required,,,comes in a bottle

http://www.permatex.com/products/automotive/automotive_gasketing/gasket_sealants/Permatex_Indian_Head_Gasket_Shellac_Compound.htm

I've used this stuff on none steam applications.....as long as you don't flood the engine with alcohol it should work fine.

Don't go hog wild and pig crazy with how much you use or you will glue it all together!.... :ROFL:
Soaking in Alcohol or a bit of heat will break the compound bond and it'll let go.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline ironman123

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2012, 04:54:12 PM »
Steve, what Steamer said sounds pretty good.  I just made a gasket from brown paper bag rubbed with 10W40 oil.  It worked.
Looks good.

Ray
Ray
Central Texas

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2012, 03:27:29 AM »
Thanks Dave and Ray. I'll keep my eyes open for that permatex stuff, I think I've seen it in a local shop  :ThumbsUp:  I've also got some other concoctions around :stir: that would probably do the job

Made some bolts out of 3/16" hex and put 3mm threads on them (bastard bolts :rant:)

Turned down some 5BA washers I had. Their OD was way too big and very ugly. Here's the plate bolted on with my custom bolts and spruced up washers

Doesn't look like much but it took a lot of faffen about. If I had my time over I would have used studs and nuts (which would probably look better), I had some 3mm allthread and nuts to hand also  :facepalm:
Ya live and ya learn, well at least I hope so  :o

Steve

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2012, 10:39:32 AM »
The brown paper/oil method should work great too....as a matter of fact...try that first...no investiment...and a lot less sticky!

Like the bolts Steve....Lots of work making those isn't it! :NotWorthy:

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2012, 11:00:34 AM »
I find that it is easier and more accurate to make bolts out of round stock and to mill the hex, studs are even easier.

I had lots of problem finding good brown paper  to oil up for gaskets (they seem to be waxing the vegtable bags now in my local shop :facepalm:). Lately I have noticed that Amazon has been packing out my parcels with scrunched up brown paper of various thicknesses. A quick iron flat and Bob's your uncle.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2012, 11:12:25 AM »
Hi Jo,
I've done bolts that way, and it works very well....With bolts below say 1/8" diameter thread, I use a filing rest in the lathe to cut the hex.    Takes about 3 minutes total to cut the flats...and it has a nice finish.

Then you can flip them and polish the head...either as a flat hex or a dome head hex...

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2012, 11:43:06 AM »
Dave,

I only wish I had a vernier on the height adjustment on my filing rest, which is why I always fall back on the mill (which has a dial gauge fitted) and the dividing head.

Did I mention how much I enjoy a good stud? Oops, I meant to say "making good studs" .... slip of the keyboard there :LittleDevil:.

Jo

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2012, 12:04:41 PM »
Hi Dave and Jo

Thanks for stopping by and adding your valuable thoughts and insights.

Jo, I notice you've built yourself a GHT versatile dividing head. That must make milling the flats a very simple operation? I've got a set of castings to make the beast, unfortunately I don't have the spur gears "worm wheels". The local supplier didn't have them and I keep procrastinating about making them myself or importing them from the UK. In the meantime I rely on a horizontal/vertical rotary table, which is sub-optimal for many of the operations we come up against on a regular basis.

Did I mention how much I enjoy a good stud? Oops, I meant to say "making good studs" .... slip of the keyboard there :LittleDevil:.

:Lol:  At least I get what ya mean about the vernier  ;)

Dave - I've made a filing rest for my 8mm lathe but I'm not set up to thread on it. On the other had I have my Hercus (9" Southbend clone) all set up with a fancy floating die holder and variable speed drive. I also made some fancy 2" micrometer dials with friction adjustment and vernier scale down to 0.0002" coupled with a dowel pinned gib strip in the home made full length cross slide. The micrometer dial works with good accuracy. I also have a good Bison 3 jaw chuck which runs true. So making the bolts, which were threaded under power, was relatively easy. On the other had tapping the threads in the posts was tedious. Would have been much easier with a helical machine tap. I've gotta get (had a 3mm one but stupidly broke it  :facepalm:) one of those ASAP. I've made a hand held tapping drill chuck which is guided by the tailstock just like you have shown in one of your threads. This will be the bee's knees for threading with machine taps under power in the lathe.

Brown paper hey? I think my Dad has some, but he's over 600km's away. Any excuse for a road trip  :thinking:

:cheers:
Steve
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 12:58:24 PM by swilliams »

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2012, 12:44:21 PM »
P.S. Hope what I just said isn't too inconsistent with my earlier post where I said "it took a lot of faffen about"

You know how it is when you think something will be easy and then 2 hours later you're still struggling to get it finished? That's what the whole tapping, fixing washers, fixing up my die holder and making bolts operation went like. Took much more time than I originally anticipated.

Steve

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2012, 03:10:14 PM »
"....I only wish I had a vernier on the height adjustment on my filing rest, which is why I always fall back on the mill (which has a dial gauge fitted) and the dividing head......"

Jo,

What kind of tool post do you have?

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2012, 05:44:32 PM »
Dave,

It all depends on which lathe we are talking about.  :naughty: Lets say a quick change toolpost. Most of my bolts I make on the Cowells, my filing rest fits the Prazimat. I am planning on making a filing rest for the cowells (It is not cost effective to pay the price that Cowells want for their filing rest :ShakeHead: and I have enough photos of the original to be able to make one which would be much more fun  :mischief: ).

Jo
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 05:53:56 PM by Jo »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2012, 05:52:27 PM »
Steve,

Don't get too worried about making the mount and bits for the indexing plate. I have never used mine. But the basic dividing head itself is super! I have made various adapters to allow it to use my BCA collets, a few sleeve collets and an adapter to take a unimat three jaw chuck.

My advice would be don't delay start making it today, you will never regret it .

Jo
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 07:47:17 PM by Jo »

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2012, 12:54:52 AM »
Dave,

It all depends on which lathe we are talking about.  :naughty: Lets say a quick change toolpost. Most of my bolts I make on the Cowells, my filing rest fits the Prazimat. I am planning on making a filing rest for the cowells (It is not cost effective to pay the price that Cowells want for their filing rest :ShakeHead: and I have enough photos of the original to be able to make one which would be much more fun  :mischief: ).

Jo

Hi Jo,

I have a AXA wedge type post post which allows for a great place to mount a filing rest with micrometer adjustment....would pictures of that be useful?.....let me know and I'll post them

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2012, 10:18:12 AM »
Dave - I'd love to see a picture of your filing rest. Almost feel inspired enough to build one  :zap:

Jo - You make some good points about the dividing head. I'm thinking about various options and planning on doing something about dividing once I finish this build.

Steve

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2012, 10:45:35 AM »
Here's a picture to look at,,,,,if it seems worth while I'll start a thread elsewhere

http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u27/mcandrew1894/tooling/?action=view&current=PC090005.jpg
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal