Author Topic: Another Simplex Refurbishment  (Read 57728 times)

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: Another Simplex Refurbishment
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 10:40:43 AM »
Looks great Pete!   Any tips on the pin stripping?  Want to do a thread?

Not something that is done everyday.....If you have a few photo's  go ahead and post them....otherwise, if you can manage the time, and throw a post together on the subject, Id bet more than a few of us would love the schooling!  I couldn't paint a straight line to save my life! :wallbang:

Dave

"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 01:16:27 PM »
  I couldn't paint a straight line to save my life! :wallbang:

Dave

Ha, even I can do that, lots of very short ones joined together at angles various. Fly excreta springs to mind.

Nest Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline doubletop

• Wellington NZ
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2012, 11:40:32 AM »
Dave/Bob

I don't think finding you had a tool in the cupboard, reading the instructions bunging some paint in it and giving it a go qualifies me as an expert. However....

Details here http://www.beugler.com/about-2/

and as with anything these days you don't really need to read the manual because somebody has already done it for you and posted videos on YouTube. I just did what they suggested

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inGo2ZF4qsw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inGo2ZF4qsw</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyvh1R6jClg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyvh1R6jClg</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWQs6HKPTzI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWQs6HKPTzI</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBXzAlM5iyk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBXzAlM5iyk</a>

OK I just did the simplest version, no curves. Just two parallel lines of masking tape and a ruler as a guide. start on one tape, across the job and finish on the other tape. Allow to dry, remove the tapes and then tape up to the edge of the lines you've just done and do the other two lines to complete the rectangle.

It proved so easy I came home from work and had the first sets done before dinner and went out after dinner and finished the job off.

Pete

?To achieve anything in this game, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.? - Stirling Moss

Offline doubletop

• Wellington NZ
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 11:10:48 AM »
Its plumbing time and sorting out this spaghetti. Some of it has spent some time in the pickle to clean it up

You can see that the cones are pretty well worn. I'm assuming they were loose and the shagged motion shook them so much they wore away.

Replacement cones were already on order from Polly model. Why don't I buy them locally? Price; and they don't take that much longer to get here.

---------------- a few days later.

Cones have arrived and I've started on the pipework. I'm glad I did, some of the cones were barely on the end of the pipes, a quick blast of the torch and they fell off. Others demonstrated to me what de-zincification is about. They just broke up when I gripped them in the pliers to remove them.

I'll do some pics over the weekend

Pete
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 08:13:16 AM by doubletop »
?To achieve anything in this game, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.? - Stirling Moss

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2012, 11:26:57 AM »
I can tell you Pete,  those connections are vital!   I'm glad your doing them up right!    With the yearly tear down and then replumb for winter on my boat...I end up a bucket of spaghetti too...and I have to be careful of the cones so I don't damage them.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline doubletop

• Wellington NZ
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2012, 11:35:14 AM »
Dave

Like Stew's re-build, do it once, do it right. I don't want to go back and take it all apart for something I could have dealt with. That said I fully expect it will all come apart again for something, but I'm not fazed about doing that either.

Pete

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2012, 11:35:54 AM »
And OH CRAP!   You posted on the pin striping!   Thankyou!

THATS how you do it.....!   

I will watch and learn!

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline doubletop

• Wellington NZ
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2012, 11:56:54 AM »
No problem, but as you can see no special skills required apart from being able to read. After I posted these links I realised I'd done it the wrong way. I wondered why I was getting blobs of paint. I should have pulled rather than pushed the tool.

Anyway I also find I have a pic of the start of the plumbing.

I've also fixed the ashpan. the drop door was hanging by a thread. no doubt a result of it dropping whilst in motion and getting ripped off. Anyway the end plate with the hinges is fixed with some stainless screws which made it easy to remake and silver solder the hing pivots in place.

Note the ash pan in the base Simplex can't be removed without taking out the boiler. Something Martin Evans acknowledged for the Super Simplex and re-designed. What you do in an emergency when you would normally drop the fire I haven't worked out yet, and I imagine you have to finish your day's running a tad earlier than everybody else to let the fire go down.

Pete
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 08:14:36 AM by doubletop »

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2012, 12:31:52 PM »
That looks sharp.

Question...near the bottom of the picture, center, looks like a spring clip against a hex nut and the hex nut looks like it has two dimples (holes?). Does the spring clip keep the nut from rotating and are the dimples (or holes?) for oiling? Thanks.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline doubletop

• Wellington NZ
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2012, 09:46:46 AM »
Carl

It's to stop the gland nut from coming loose. If the gland nut was fully tightened the pump wouldn't work. I assume it is done this way rather than using a lock screw is the nut is not very accessible and so can be adjusted without having to undo anything. The spring just pops out of the way

hope that helps\

Pete

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2012, 01:26:31 PM »
I'm glad yoy asked that ? Carl  I've forgotten add that feature to my pump.

Looking good Pete.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the way

Offline doubletop

• Wellington NZ
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2012, 09:34:38 PM »
Thanks Stew

Track working party today to get the swing arm and feeder tracks in so not much is going to happen on the loco. It all re-assembly really so I am getting very close to a first steaming maybe not this weekend as the weather is likely to be crap tomorrow.

It's touch and go which gets finished first the new track or the loco. You'll understand I want it ready for the formal opening.

Pete

Offline doubletop

• Wellington NZ
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2012, 11:06:02 AM »
Got the plumbing spaghetti sorted, or at least rearranged to some degree

(The pieces of steel under the axle box keeper plates sets the suspension at running height so I can run it with its legs dangling) in free space.)

and the backhead, a bit tidier than it was.

And did a bit more to the bling

The flash doesn't do the colour any favours it washes it our a bit. Its a deep Brunswick Green that I'm quite pleased with.

Next step is a steaming and that always ends up making a mess of everything so its unlikely to look this clean and tidy again. But it will have more of a lived in look.

Pete
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 08:16:54 AM by doubletop »

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2012, 01:40:09 PM »
Looks excellent.
Really gives a feeling for the amount of work needed.
Enjoy the steaming!
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2012, 01:45:30 PM »
Looks great Pete!

Well done!   video?.........

Dave
Damned ijjit!