Author Topic: Another Simplex Refurbishment  (Read 57708 times)

Offline doubletop

• Wellington NZ
Re: Another Simplex Refurbishment
« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2012, 09:47:22 AM »
Stew

That's why I ran it down to the GL track, it was there so why not? It did identify a few more things that needed doing. One good thing about having to wait is you get those jobs done that you may have let go.

One of the things was drain cocks and I've been meaning to give you an update on those you kindly sent over. I tried them and couldn't get them to work consistently. Or that's what I thought. The problem I had was the uncertainty that they were doing what was expected of them at any point, open when they needed to drain the cylinders or closed when running. When ever I tried to run from cold I'd get hydraulic lock and couldn't clear it (it didn't occur to me at the time to stick something up the drain hole) Then when I got it going they seemed to be venting. So rather than work it out, being a bit impatient and having time on my hands I thought I'd give some steam drain cocks a go as then I'd  know when on was on and off was off. Guess what, similar problem. So now I've got two sets of drain cocks (actually three sets, if the 4 individual manual cocks are included) each system having their own issues, which I need to work through.

The point being there is probably absolutely nothing wrong with the pair you sent over, I just didn't persevere enough to get the level of confidence they were doing what they should and now I've too many variables to work with to come to any conclusion and could well end up using your drain cocks and wondering what I had thought was wrong in the first place.

And that's made me think; I could well re-fit the auto cocks to one side and the steam cocks to the other and compare both. With the loco inverted on the stand its only a 5min job to fit them.

regards

Pete
?To achieve anything in this game, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.? - Stirling Moss

Offline doubletop

• Wellington NZ
« Reply #76 on: December 09, 2012, 08:06:29 AM »
The rebuild of the raised track is all but complete,

We had really nice day today so it had to be an opportunity to try a run, although I had always been of the view that privilege was to go to the key people who led the track build. That aside, I went out there anyway to find the project manager and the guy who did all the welding, (over 6000 welds), were there. One of them had his camera in the hope that somebody would turn up and they wer both encouraging me to give it a go. 'nuff said onto the steaming bay and get ready.

What they didn't tell me was the swing arm still needed some work so was out of action. Undeterred we manhandled the steaming loco from the feeder line onto the track

OK, I could only do loops up to the swing arm and then reverse all the way back for another go. It went better than I expected, starting off, sight glass full,  steamed up to 90psi and safety blowing and the pump bypass closed I was doing full laps with the safety blowing all the way.

Hopefully, next time, the problem with the swing arm will be rectified and I'll get a video for you.

Pete
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 07:48:38 AM by doubletop »
?To achieve anything in this game, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.? - Stirling Moss

Offline doubletop

• Wellington NZ
« Reply #77 on: December 26, 2012, 09:03:26 AM »
The track got finished and the first Sunday I went out for a run. I've been a bit tardy in getting this video posted as my cameraman had a few problems so we went back  last week for another go. It hauls passengers without any problems but I think I do need to do some more work on the valve timing as its a bit asymmetric under load. But all in all I'm happy with the results so far.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwZrr-4z3o8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwZrr-4z3o8</a>

regards

Pete

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #78 on: December 26, 2012, 11:14:05 AM »
That is so cool Pete. Thanks for the video.
That has to be a cool feeling to run it and give enjoyment to others.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline doubletop

• Wellington NZ
« Reply #79 on: December 26, 2012, 11:27:22 AM »
Carl

Seasons greetings

I had no idea what it was capable of until I hitched up a wagon and people got on for the ride. We'll all know about steam but you'd think these little kids would have no idea, but its amazing what they come up with. No doubt a result of the "Thomas The Tank Engine" and similar stories. Even the really small ones see there is something different with these locos than the contemporary diesel/electric locos and will wait patiently for a ride.

And it attracts more public interest contributing to club funds

Pete

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #80 on: December 26, 2012, 12:11:44 PM »
Congrats Pete!   Well Done! and thanks for bringing us along!
That engine scoots!
Dave
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 12:15:55 PM by steamer »
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline doubletop

• Wellington NZ
« Reply #81 on: December 28, 2012, 10:35:24 AM »
Thanks Dave

Apologies for the tardy reply. Been a busy few days but normality is returning and made it to the shop today. Not that I did much....

Pete

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #82 on: December 28, 2012, 10:53:25 AM »
Great run Pete.

:cartwheel: :cartwheel: :cartwheel:

Thats certainly given me something to aim for in the new year, all the best

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the way

Offline doubletop

• Wellington NZ
« Reply #83 on: December 29, 2012, 12:25:36 AM »
Thanks Stew

I'm pleased with it but as always there's something more that can be done.

Now you've finished the Dake is it full steam ahead on the Simplex or do you have another build in the offing (have I missed it?)

Also updated your Drain Cox (sic) thread

Pete

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #84 on: December 29, 2012, 08:22:01 AM »
Its full steam a head with the Simplex, I've told our club charman that he is to ban me if I don't get it running for the summer.

I do have a couple of other project on the drawing board, but they definatly won't be started until the simplex is running.

Stew

Offline doubletop

• Wellington NZ
« Reply #85 on: July 13, 2013, 06:46:37 AM »
The original Simplex didn’t allow the grate and ash-pan to be dropped. A bit of a problem in an emergency and something Martin Evans acknowledged and fixed with the Super Simplex by modifying the foundation ring and ash pan.

This has been something I’ve wanted to sort next time the boiler came out. It’s winter here in NZ so an opportunity to do something about it.

I had wondered why I wasn’t steaming too well last time out, this is the clinker I found in the firebox.

Rather than mess with the existing grate, and regret it, I looked around for a replacement to play with. I had some idea of making a split grate and allowing the front section to come out with the drop door on the ash pan. Then I found Blackgates did this stainless grate that they just cut to size.

Perfect. The cross bars allow the middle bar to be used as a pivot. This is what I came up with.

Some tabs applied to the drop door hold the grate in place

When the door opens the grate pivots and tips forward

And from underneath

Now I’ll be able to drop the fire and clean out the firebox at the end of the run so clinker doesn’t build up.

Hope that helps somebody.

Pete
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 07:51:29 AM by doubletop »

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #86 on: July 13, 2013, 12:50:19 PM »
Thanks for the update Pete

I'm not that far advanced on my Simplex rebuild, I've fallen a bit behind schedule what with holidays and things.

But that grate looks to be just the ticket

Stew

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: July 13, 2013, 02:13:39 PM »
Nicely done Pete!

The grates on my boat are just about identical...but of course...I can't dump out the bottom! :lolb:

Clinkers,

Clinkers are a fact of life, and are very dependent on the ash content of the coal you're using.   On "Sabino", which has  8' x 8' grates, a clinker is about the size of a flattened basket ball.....and passes as much air through a grate!...To deal with it, we push the fire back, uncovering the grates, and then rake it forward bit by bit and pull out the clinkers onto the deck and shovel them into the ash pit.   After which we pour on more coal.

OK so what does this have to do with your loco?

One thing you'll notice when doing this is the 'feel' of a clinker when the rake hits it.   It feels like bread dough.   and it sticks together...so a slicing bar can be used to peel it off the grate...and the rake can drag it out...though I rarely used the slicing bar....the rake worked pretty well and it's not real pleasant to do this so you do it as fast as you can.

I suspect, though I can't speak to it on this scale, but I suspect you could feel a clinker with your poker, and a quick scrape....it's out.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline doubletop

• Wellington NZ
« Reply #88 on: July 14, 2013, 08:25:01 AM »
Thanks guys I thought I'd share it as this is a problem with the original Simplex.

Dave - the trouble with managing the fire on one of these locos is the fire door is only just over one inch in diameter so there's not a lot of room to do clinker management,

I'm not that far advanced on my Simplex rebuild, I've fallen a bit behind schedule what with holidays and things.

Stew - I guess your club chairman is sad to have to let you go? You did say you'd asked him to ban you if you didn't get your loco running by the summer and you're well into summer now. OK I accept you've had a bit more to do than you'd expected. That, and my latest ME turned up yesterday with another of your creations gracing the front page.

regards to you both

Pete

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #89 on: July 14, 2013, 01:54:05 PM »

Dave - the trouble with managing the fire on one of these locos is the fire door is only just over one inch in diameter so there's not a lot of room to do clinker management,

YUP....that was my point...can you FEEEEL it ...with the poker....I think I'd have to stand on my head to see it! :ROFL:

Dave

Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal