Author Topic: Frustrating Day  (Read 13107 times)

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Re: Frustrating Day
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2013, 07:26:44 PM »
A final thought  :noidea:  How come that for all the important checks the DTI was facing the wall or the floor  ::)
Best regards

Roger

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2013, 08:17:49 PM »
I suspect you wanted the extra challenge........ 8)

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Graham Meek

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2013, 11:09:34 AM »
Hi Roger,

Looks like you have had a challenging time, I too did some repairs to a Mini-Lathe back in May, a chap was having difficulties on the ME Forum and in the end after he had got so frustrated trying to sort it out I suggested he bring the lathe over, (about a 4-5 Hour round trip).

The photographs on the link below show the extent of the work required,

http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/albums/member_album.asp?a=26835

There were no dovetails with the correct angle, all the "ways" on the carriage, cross-slide and top-slide had been attacked with an angle grinder and the gibs were that thin you could pull the cross-slide off the carriage. If I tell you that this lathe was purchased new it will dispel any ideas that someone else other than the manufacturer had visited this machine.

During the week or so that it took me to rectify this machine it came out in the emails that we exchanged that his brother had purchased a lathe at the same time, well when the lathe was ready for collection his brother's lathe was left behind for me to work on and yes it was in exactly the same condition.

My best regards
Gray,

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2013, 04:15:55 PM »
Hi Gray,

This lathe actually isn't so bad. I've had it for quite a while and managed to make an engine that runs (just). This one isn't a Seig and had a few advantages such as there was already a cover on the back of the apron gears and the leadscrew is extended through the right hand bearing so it is easy to fit a handwheel for milling.

I think a lot of the problems appeared when I started putting lumps of 50mm CI in it  ::)
Best regards

Roger

Offline Graham Meek

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2013, 05:39:09 PM »
Hi Roger,

The two lathes that I repaired were not Sieg either, I had chance to borrow a Sieg lathe when I was designing a version of my screwcutting clutch to fit this lathe, they are quite well made I found. I also designed a Handwheel dial with a zero-able Dial to fit this lathe while I had it. The dials read 0-1" or 0-25 mm if you prefer, both these attachments are due to be published in the New Year.

I have attached a couple of photographs of both items.

My best regards
Gray,

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2014, 07:04:33 PM »
Hi Gray,

Thank you for those pictures. I will probably not do much more to this lathe. I am in the process of buying a slightly smaller but rather better quality and nicely equipped lathe. As both are liftable I will be able to keep this one under the shelves for when I do need slightly more capacity. The new engine will have  a 125mm flywheel which is at or beyond the limit for the new one.

Wishing you all the best for the New Year
Best regards

Roger

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal