Author Topic: Youthful over-design center finder  (Read 3620 times)

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
Youthful over-design center finder
« on: January 01, 2014, 07:50:20 PM »
Back in my earliest days in the shop I hit upon the idea of building a center finder.  I had seen simple designs that consisted of nothing more than a bar with three holes and a couple of pins stuck in the outer holes.

It quickly became obvious that such a design would only work well for a limited range of workpiece widths.  Anything too wide to fit between the pins was right out.  Thin stock would need to be very long to accommodate the center finder lying at an extreme angle.

So, I set out to build the sine qua non of center finders with adjustable pin spacing and different sized pins to accommodate any situation.  This was the result...

I ensured that the pins were equally spaced relative to the center hole by drilling the center hole first and then rotating the bar on a pin through that hole to locate the outboard holes.  The central brass "finger grip" provides some extra support for the center punch to guarantee that it's perpendicular to the stock surface when struck.

The small bar screwed to the side of the stock marks the location of the center hole on the beam.  I remember that it seemed terribly important at the time but now I can't remember why it's there.

Soon after building this, I discovered edge finders.  Since then I doubt this tool has been used more than two or three times.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
Re: Youthful over-design center finder
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 07:55:25 PM »
Nice one Marv - years ago I built a parallel type (top left in this box o' bits) but, like yours, it sees little use these days

The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

Arbalest

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 10:48:01 PM »
I like the design Marv. Don't understand why you haven't used it much though? For woodwork at least I would have used something like this a lot. It's something I've been meaning to make for many years but not got round to it. Now I don't know whether to make one or not when I get my mill up and running again...

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 11:06:55 PM »
Pardon my ignorance Marv but how does it work? I have stared at the picture for a few minutes and I don't get it. Do the brass circles overhang the piece and only one touches the part until you are on center?
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 11:51:36 PM »
Pardon my ignorance Marv but how does it work? I have stared at the picture for a few minutes and I don't get it. Do the brass circles overhang the piece and only one touches the part until you are on center?

Put it over the workpiece and twist it until both buttons are in contact with the work.  Now the central hole is automatically over the center of the work.  Hit the center punch with a hammer and voila, you have a center mark.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 03:49:24 AM »
Another nice one, Marv. When I was working wood I had a plastic one from some woodworking catalog. Since 1/32" was a nice tight tolerance for brown stuff guys, I suspect it might not be extremely precise. Love your idea of spinning the part about the center hole for drilling the outboard holes.
I may use my newly-made threaded sub plate to spin a bar for drilling and make one for myself. Since I had to make a torque bar for the Tapmatic head so that I could thread the sub plate, I believe making your centering tool would classify it as a "Klotz level 3"
Making a tool to make a tool to make a tool. Now, if I used this centering device to mark out for another tool...
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 03:56:02 AM by sshire »
Best,
Stan

Online gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 04:00:03 PM »
Sometimes it is not about the destination but about the journey.

I have been making various add-ons for my Taig lathe, to a) become familiar with it, b) to learn techniques that will come in handy later when actually building an engine.

gerrit
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 04:50:32 PM »
I believe making your centering tool would classify it as a "Klotz level 3"

I wonder what our Yiddish-speaking forum members are going to think about something labeled that way? :)

I wish I had kept track over the years of how many "levels" into a project I had managed.  I call these "breadcrumb" projects because one needs to leave a trail in order to find one's way back to the starting point.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal