Author Topic: 4x6 bandsaw is always cutting to the right?????  (Read 3682 times)

Offline burnit0017

4x6 bandsaw is always cutting to the right?????
« on: December 27, 2013, 08:19:23 PM »
Greetings, I have a low cost harbor freight bandsaw. It always cuts to the right. If I set the guide blade bearings to cut to the left it will arc to the right and not cut perpendicular. Is there a solution to this problem??? Any help will be greatly apericated.  :shrug:

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
Re: 4x6 bandsaw is always cutting to the right?????
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 08:50:48 PM »
I would suggest first that you do not cut thin material on edge, lay it flat. This also save the teeth on your band (need 3 or more teeth on the metal)

Second,, is the tension on the blade high enough? It should twang (a very technical term with a high degree of accuracy :-))

The Yahoo Groups 4x6 band saw group (http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/4x6bandsaw/info) has an excellent document on adjusting this type of band saw. Following the procedure made a world of difference on my machine.

Gerrit
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline RonGinger

• Boothbay Maine USA
    • Pleasant Cove Models
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 08:56:51 PM »
Your blade has been dulled on the right side, so it doesnt cut the same as  the left side teeth.

If you are using the blade that came with that saw throw it away and buy a real blade from a good tool supply place. The blades shipped with these saws are notoriously bad.

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 09:10:16 PM »
The blade is only on part of getting these guys to cut straight. When I had mine, I went through this procedure. DO NOT SKIP ANY STEPS. They are all important.

After all was done and a new Starrett bi-metal blade installed, it cut very straight

http://shopfloortalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=109841&d=1380242721
Best,
Stan

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 11:09:43 PM »
The blade is only on part of getting these guys to cut straight. When I had mine, I went through this procedure. DO NOT SKIP ANY STEPS. They are all important.

After all was done and a new Starrett bi-metal blade installed, it cut very straight

http://shopfloortalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=109841&d=1380242721

Same as on the Yahoo 4x6 group. This procedure works!
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 12:22:00 AM »
It's really hard to see in the small photo (and through all the chips :)) but I don't see the side blade guide bearings on the outer guide. Are they there but hidden? Could you post a larger photo, after having a bit of a vacuum?

Simon

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 03:27:24 AM »
Hi Burnit,
Had the same problem a few years back. Mine had being happy cutting it's way thru some 125 mm bar, making wheels for drivers trolley for my locos,can't remember how many it had cut then it decided to go off line. The air turned blue ! Once I claimed down a bit & thought about it, what had changed.....well don't think it was any of the guides, ah change the blade & see said the voice in the back of the head. Did that & it cut straight again. I use bimetal blades. An easy fix. All 16 wheel blanks cut!

If that doesn't work, out with the instruction As posted by Stan.

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline burnit0017

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 07:41:35 AM »
Hi, thanks for the help. The blade finally broke :D. I will follow the setup procedure and buy a new blade. Found a video on the setup, as well.
Thanks again and have a safe and happy NEW YEAR , cheers. :pinkelephant:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaT6McQIIAY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaT6McQIIAY</a>

Offline Graham Meek

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 01:07:07 PM »
From what I can see in the original photograph there does not appear to be any guide bearings either side of the bandsaw blade!

These need to be there to keep the blade vertical, currently the only support to the blade are two large ball races on the top. This will allow the blade to tip, teeth on one side of the blade are then subjected to higher loadings, they will then wear more rapidly and will always cut off to one side.

I have attached a photograph which shows the set-up on my bandsaw, the double ball races on the side of the bandsaw blade are easy to see.

Gray,

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 04:26:15 PM »
Good Catch, Gray
Missed the obvious. That should help him out.  :hammerbash:
Best,
Stan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal