Author Topic: Bluetooth DRO on X1 and X3 mills  (Read 14737 times)

Offline Buster

Re: Bluetooth DRO on X1 and X3 mills
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2014, 07:31:51 PM »
Might be worth looking at http://www.yuriystoys.com/p/android-dro.html if you want to build one using an Arduino or similar and http://framer99.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/custom-arduino-shield-for-android-dro.html for the custom board design

Using an Arduino is probably the simplest route and requires minimal soldering

Yuris page also explains that it isn't realistically possible to use an Android tablet without bluetooth

I'm just waiting for my parts to arrive so I can build a couple for my Warco Mill & Lathe

Offline Barneydog

• Just outside Leicester, United KIngdom
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2014, 07:47:37 PM »
This is the arduino by yuriy. At the moment Bluetooth is the only realistic option until Yuriy brings out his windows version. It is easy to build if you follow his instructions carefully. I chose to use CNc to make it repeatable and to use the micro sockets which are very small. I drew my own board rather than use the custom one mentioned above.

Julian

Offline Buster

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2014, 08:18:33 PM »
I went with an Arduino UNO and the breakout boards for the sockets, as you say they are really tiny

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2014, 09:37:35 AM »
Hi

Just a quick update. The app has been updated and can now be used with USB instead of bluetooth.

Cheers

Rich

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2014, 06:02:23 PM »
Thought it said it could when I downloaded it great app.

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2014, 06:25:15 PM »
Hi

I bought another scale yesterday, a 12". The Z travel on a X3 mill is also 12" so its a bit tight. I could have bought the next size up which is a jump to 20" and £10.00 dearer but opted for the 12". Back home a quick check using its own readout confirmed that it is almost exactly 12". I managed to pinch a bit extra by cutting 2 small pieces from a length of the bar that I have spare from the 40" X axis. Any bit of suitably sized bar would do.

A bit extra

Fitted to the side panel of the X3

I have also treated myself to a 10.1" android tablet. I bought this one new off ebay for £69.89. Its actually very good with a A2o dual core processor at 1.2ghz with 1gb ddr3 ram and jelly bean 4.2 + bluetooth. I bought my daughter a well known branded 10.1" tablet for xmas at 3 times the price and I'm struggling to find any difference. Anyway I now have 3 axis DRO

I am waiting for a protective case to arrive then I will make some brackets to hold it safely out of the way.

Cheers

Rich

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2014, 07:15:41 PM »
Nice 1 Rich!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2014, 08:21:47 PM »
I'm glad this was updated. I hadn't known about it.

Very very interesting.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal