Author Topic: GHT bending rolls  (Read 6015 times)

Offline joe d

• Montreal, Canada
GHT bending rolls
« on: February 26, 2014, 01:40:32 PM »
In between kitchen renovations, Christmas, and my annual run away south to get warm, I took a break from the traction engine
and made up a set of GHT's bending rolls.  No particular originality here, stuck pretty well to the plans.

pinned together the material for the side plates, and ran a flycutter around all four sides to square them up

Kept them pinned together  and drilled & bored the holes for the rolls, and milled the slots

and here they are in place, pinned and cap-screwed to the cross bar, with various bits of turned bolts in place, got some more practice threading on the lathe for these parts

Said "to heck with the budget" and splashed out on some TGP for the rolls, wow what a pleasure to turn this stuff :ThumbsUp:
really machines nicely

Made up the bearings from some round bronze out of the stuff pile, turned a piece of spare ali for the crank handle,
decided to make the geared-drive version, so cut a 2" stub of 20 dp 20 t gears, and parted off four, two are keyed to the large rolls
and two are idlers on stubs

And that's pretty much it.  Have to wait for warmer weather before stripping all down for painting, it's usually around
40 to 50 degrees f in the shop at this time of year :censored:

Going to get busy next with a UPT build... Santa gave me a nice set of castings, and Jo is providing us with a great step by step
guide :cheers:

Cheers, Joe

Offline Heffalump

• Oxfordshire, England
Re: GHT bending rolls
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 01:56:21 PM »
Joe - I do all my parting and cutting with a hacksaw, that soon gets the temperature up! for a while at least...

Thats some nice looking work I can't wait to see it painted up

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 04:37:02 PM »
Looks great, Joe! I've been thinking about making some rolls after messing up the cylinder cladding on my Stuart.

Could you clarify a couple of things? I assume GHT is the supplier, and what kind of steel is TGP?

Thanks much
Simon

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 04:48:21 PM »
GHT is the designer  ;) George H Thomas, the same guy who designed the UPT and the VDH.

I also have a set of these rolls  :ThumbsUp:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 06:53:37 PM »
A beautiful set of rolls. I have a bead roller, English wheel, and planishing hammer, forming bags, some nice mallets and some dollies, yet need a set of rolls  and a brake. I'll look into this one :cheers:

Whiskey

Offline Graham Meek

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 09:17:28 PM »
Having made a set of full-size GHT bending rolls some years ago a friend who scratch builds 00 gauge locomotives wanted to roll up a boiler barrel. To cut a long story short I made the smaller set shown in the photograph to help him out.

The beauty of this design of rolls is that provided you turn the work around and make two passes at each setting you do not get a flat left on the work after rolling.

My best regards
Gray,

Offline joe d

• Montreal, Canada
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 03:27:16 AM »
Thanks all for the kind comments.

Simon:  As Jo said, GHT is George H Thomas, the designer of lots of cool tools.  The dwgs for this and a number of other good projects are in The Model Engineers Workshop Manual still in print, well worth getting a copy.  TGP is Turned, Ground, &
Polished, 1144 stress-proof steel, tolerance of +.000"  - .001" to stated diameter (according to Speedy Metals).   Really is pleasant to work with.

Gray:  Really like the little set.  I don't have a current application, but man o man it's tempting... :Lol:

Cheers, Joe

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 07:12:39 AM »
Thanks Joe! I didn't realize that 1144 could be had ground and polished.

Just looked up "The Model Engineers Workshop Manual" on Amazon. "13 used & new from $249.56"  :o :o

[Edit: ordered from Tee Publishing for £26!]

Simon
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 07:20:54 AM by smfr »

Offline Graham Meek

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 10:29:36 AM »
Hi Joe,

The smaller set are just a scaled down version, (while you may not like the units), I used 1 mm to represent 1/16" on the original drawing, this makes them roughly 2/3 rd's fullsize and just right for the locomotive boiler barrel in question, which I think was an LMS Royal Scot, not that I am into locomotives.

I used the same technique to make my version of the Quorn, I am just not into castings.

My best regards
Gray,

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 12:24:45 PM »
Graham, great pictures of some very nice tooling. Can you possibly resize them to 640 x 480 or 800 x 600 and re-attach them to your posts. These megapixel sizes are simply too large for many of our members with slower connections to download, and for the rest of us we have to scroll in order to see the entire picture.  Thanks !

Bill

Offline Graham Meek

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 01:23:46 PM »
Hello Bill,

I am sorry my photographs are causing problems, I have resized them as you requested, I will try and remember this in future.

(Off topic I know but I would like to say how much I enjoyed your article in HSM on the B&S engine).

My best regards
Gray,

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal