Author Topic: Craig's List Fantasy?  (Read 2349 times)

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
Craig's List Fantasy?
« on: December 13, 2013, 03:08:20 PM »
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/tls/4197356089.html

Is it me or is this a fantasy?  I don't see the worth here.  The best part is that they recently upped the price from $400.00 to $450.00 and added the $1000.00 value line.  I watch this stuff all the time.  Around here that's a $75.00 to $100.00 listing and make a deal for $50.00. 

Yes, I realize that the tap sets have some value, but that's only if they are HSS.  The combination square doesn't have the protractor and looks rather beat.  It's an just an odd assortment of stuff, nothing is highly desirable for that kind of money.  I think they would be better off listing each item on EBay to reach that dollar amount.  My 2 cents.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Craig's List Fantasy?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 03:41:36 PM »
Seems a bit pricey to me too Bob...at least far more than I would give for it!! Its hard to tell from the pictures what condition a lot of it is in. I doubt there will be much interest at 400-450 but who knows.

Bill

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 03:45:24 PM »
He's smokin some really good stuff......walk away from that...you could buy all new for less.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 07:13:16 PM »
Bob, I'm with Dave. As my old pal Dean Dillon wrote, " I've got some ocean front property in Arizona" . I'm betting it's an estate and the heirs looked at an up to date Starrett catalogue and figured value at full retail. Just me 2 worth.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 07:19:31 PM »
I have a few swiss tweezers they are about $10 nice but you don't need many, I have a really nice boxed combination set cost me $15. A few tap sets.. from the 1950's probably carbon steel= very little value .

So I would not even pay $50 for  the lot.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 07:29:08 PM »
Being sold by Yuppies, gated community living,mini-van driving, super moms, whose dear old Daddy had some tools. Poor old boys. That's what's gonna happen to a lot of us, so, boys enjoy your junk, er, tools now. I'm sorry, just my rant.

Whiskey

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 08:08:45 PM »
It's listed as "1950's Machinist tools" so I looked at the ad.  I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss any gold plated tools in one of the pictures :Lol:. I'm not interested in it.  If it was listed for $50.00 and I could get it all for $25.00 I'd go for it. I could use some of the odd stuff.  All the real machine shop items I already have in multiples.

The best part is that they recently increased the price by $50.00.  Usually, you lower it if it doesn't sell. I believe this stuff was listed two months ago and didn't sell then.  The current ad has been running for 28 days. 

-Bob

Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 12:33:03 AM »
Maybe someone told the seller that if you up the price, people will think its more valuable. The reality should set in soon enough  ;D

Bill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 01:06:58 AM »
Not much different than some of the ridiculous "buy it now" prices on eBay

Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal