Author Topic: 'WIDE A WAKE' a steam launch tale  (Read 236358 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: 'WIDE A WAKE' a steam launch tale
« Reply #390 on: May 06, 2015, 12:33:30 AM »
Nice to hear from you Ramon. We all hit that wall at times either from other things taking precedence or just running out of steam (pun intended). As has been said many times, it isn't a race and when it becomes more burdensome than fun, its time to take a break.

Bill

Offline Bezalel

« Reply #391 on: May 06, 2015, 05:59:21 AM »
you're Welcome Ramon

I feel sometimes that, yet another "well done" just doesn't quite cut it when it comes to expressing my true appreciation. Hence the PM.

I know just what you are talking about with the hedge.  Just when I down tools I seem to get a  never-ending bombardment of other demands on my time.

cheers

Bez

Queensland - wet one day, humid the next

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #392 on: May 06, 2015, 07:39:35 AM »
Sounds like a good plan Ramon to save the engine work and get some actual boating time in. I'm sure it will make a good project for the winter when the garden does not need so much attention and there are less sailing days.

J

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #393 on: May 06, 2015, 10:46:23 PM »
Hi guys - as promised a few pics of current progress.

It is nearing the end run of construction now with just another coat or two of varnish on the decks to be applied then the process of fitting out can begin. During the last few days I've been picking away at the fittings as well as finishing varnishing the hull - a slow process indeed with the need to allow it to harden completely before lightly rubbing down. Before starting varnishing, after a real good vacuuming, I rigged up a tent over the bench to help keep the dust at bay which worked well enough - two pieces of string and a 99p dust sheet from QD solved the problem.

Before varnishing commenced though, to finish off that breastwork I wanted to convey that the 'heavy pieces' had been through bolted and plugged

Two tools were turned up, one to cut a precise hole the other to cut the plugs. The hole cutter was drilled to take the guide pin then  heat treated to prevent the sharp edge from folding over. The plug cutter was left unhardened which worked well enough for the few plugs required. A hole was drilled to take the pin, counterbored just under size to the cutter then the pin inserted to act as a guide for the cutter.  The actual plug is only in the stock by about 1.5mm

It all worked well enough and the outcome was as hoped for :)

And so finally, after all these months, that varnish could be applied. I used 'Le Tonkinois' which I bought at the Midlands show last year. It's a pure natural varnish and flows beautifully. The first coat simply disappeared into the wood leaving a very matt finish but the second soon indicated the potential shine to come

Though more or less touch dry over night I didn't feel it was suitable for rubbing down for a good three days so spent some time between coats pleasantly distracted by the garden

This last week or so attention turned to finishing off and making the remaining 'fittings'

The rudder had it's reinforcing plates epoxied on (dummy rivets), the pintle bands the same

The steering wheel was finished off by making its mounting - the steel part is for the (dummy) rudder cables .....

... and the front was finished with a brass housing over the locking screw

Sundry other bits and pieces have slowly trickled off the mill and lathe - I was particularly pleased with the oil box for the prop shaft - that's the first time I've made a hinge.....

... and of course no boat would be complete without a name plate - courtesy of my good friend Phil who helped me install the new mill. The wood is Firethorn kept from a major pruning of a very over grown example years back. Very hard and close grained it proved ideal for engraving without tearing.

It'll be at least next week before any of that can be attached. I have used 'International' yacht varnish for the decks as this is a much paler colour. Surprisingly this is taking much longer that the other to harden off but after all this time an extra day or so is neither here nor there  ;) however here she is as of tonight.....

.... not far to go now  :)

Thanks for the words of support Bill, Bez and Jason - as my friend Chris would have it, I'm currently not in full possession of my MoJo but I am working on it  ;D

Regards - Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #394 on: May 06, 2015, 11:26:27 PM »
Just beautiful Ramon........all of the superlatives  :facepalm: have been posted on multiple occasions....

One question.....I see you have chosen  'International' yacht varnish for the decks "as this is a much paler colour", over I assume the 'Le Tonkinois' ....and you note that the former appears to require longer to harden......do you have a preference in the final finish or product?....again congratulations.......

PS.....how is that  :Mad: gas regulator going?........Derek
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 11:39:18 PM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #395 on: May 06, 2015, 11:41:03 PM »
It just leaves you breathless looking at it. What else can I say but just georgeous Ramon and you have surely set the standard high my friend........................ :praise2: :praise2:

:drinking-41:

Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #396 on: May 07, 2015, 12:18:01 AM »
There are no words left Ramon. Do you have a place picked out for her first sailing?

Bill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #397 on: May 07, 2015, 01:15:23 AM »
Wow that's nice!

Dave

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #398 on: May 07, 2015, 01:42:14 AM »
I'm currently not in full possession of my MoJo

I wish I had some of that.

Beautiful work.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Robert Hornby

• Terrigal NSW Australia
« Reply #399 on: May 07, 2015, 03:17:58 AM »
Wow, Ramon. I have been away for 5 weeks and found several pages of progress and kindly comments in my absence. Superb, I love the wheel and rudder I just hope mine can be half as good. Hoping to get back to finishing my boiler soon, mainly the burner to complete.
Robert
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #400 on: May 07, 2015, 04:36:15 AM »
 Hi Ramon, she is beautiful.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #401 on: May 07, 2015, 06:32:02 AM »
A beautiful hull and fittings all round.

Mike
If you can imagine it you can build it

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #402 on: May 07, 2015, 11:26:40 AM »
Hi guys - thanks for looking in, your comments are always valued.

Derek - It's a close call but overall I would come down in favour of the Le Tonkinois. It has a much richer colour and goes on far more easily especially when warmed. Having tried a tentative rub down on the deck this morning the International has still got a distinct softness after 48 hours so is definitely slower than the other to harden out. The regulator is still in the pending folder but it won't be long now before I tackle one.

Don, cheers to you too - sorry to have missed your posts on the E and A but I'll try to catch up asap  :ThumbsUp:

Bill - yes it will be our club pond at Norwich (there will be pic of that a bit later elsewhere). We are planning a small launch party as one or two friends have expressed a desire to be there but it's a bit too premature to say when - it'll be a Saturday though  :)

Zee - When I find it, if there's any spare I'll send you some  :D - good to see you still looking in.

Robert - Hope you get back onto your build as soon as you're able - being a bit jaded and taking a break is one thing but having to leave what you're doing when you want to be working on it is another - we've all been there especially when work gets in the way.

Dave, Achim and Mike - thanks for your continued interest - I'm hoping the finished product will not be too long now.

Regards for now - Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #403 on: May 09, 2015, 05:38:32 PM »
Splendid wood work  :praise2:  :praise2: I will be interested to see how the different varnishes perform  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #404 on: May 09, 2015, 08:44:56 PM »
How did you engrave the nameplate Ramon?  CNC or freehand?

Vince

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal