Author Topic: 'WIDE A WAKE' a steam launch tale  (Read 233834 times)

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Re: 'WIDE A WAKE' a steam launch tale
« Reply #255 on: August 13, 2014, 01:26:00 AM »
Thanks for taking us along for the ride Ramon.

I will be looking forward to the continuation of this wonderful project when you have time to get back to it.

Dave

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #256 on: August 13, 2014, 04:04:42 AM »
Excellent work on the boiler and the launch, Ramon!  They look beautiful together  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
Though I haven't commented much, I've been following along the whole time and enjoyed your build immensely.
Thanks for taking the time to share it with us!
Kim

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #257 on: August 13, 2014, 05:54:18 AM »
Well done Tug  :ThumbsUp:

Looking forward to her going back together and seeing the first sailing.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #258 on: August 13, 2014, 06:29:34 AM »
Bet you you have a nice fuzzy feeling after that test run

The time to raise steam would be about right for a gas fired boiler , coal firing in a belpire type boiler is about the same but the do have a lot more fire tubes

Glad the burner performed in place

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Online sco

« Reply #259 on: August 13, 2014, 08:12:21 AM »
Brilliant job on the boiler Ramon - love the picture of it sat in the launch.  Can't understand how you can leave it and get on with another project - I'd be itching to get it afloat!

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #260 on: August 13, 2014, 11:34:38 AM »
That came out wonderful Ramon!   You might consider an economizer loop in the stack, they are very efficient in that the difference in temperature is quite high, and will help with the fuel consumption.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #261 on: August 13, 2014, 03:31:09 PM »
Robert, Dave, Kim, et al - thanks for the kind response.

Robert - Good luck with that house move and rebuild of your workshop - hope it won't be too long before you get back onto your boat.

Kim - nice to hear from you. It's always nice to hear that people (other than the 'regulars'  ;)) are following along - I know other people are looking by the number of views but sometimes there's a distinct anxiety of 'is this what members really want' when nothing is heard. Posting takes a lot of time - not just the actual posting but thinking ahead and taking pics as you work too so to hear the coverage is appreciated is encouraging.

Dave - good to hear from you. It wont be that long before work resumes - just need to put something else to bed first ;)

Jo - it'll be a while yet but 'wet it will get'  ;)

Simon - This is the way I have found best (haven't found an ideal way though) to deal with 'conflict of interest'. Break it down into 'stages' and have a change rather than start something else and let it languish (Hasn't done much for the McOnie or the Bentley though  ::) ) - Does any one else suffer from this 'conflict' problem?

Steamer - is that as an alternative location to the one in the back of the flue? Given that there is nowhere near the heat coming out of the funnel as expected I was wondering if that actually needs the stainless baffle I have fitted. On the face of it it would also
appear to support Georges thoughts that the steam drier tube, set in the lower flue would be fine from a deterioration point of view.

I've had a real busy morning in the garden  :o only poked my head through the w'shop door just to make sure it was still there  ;)

Regards - Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline SandCam

• West Coast of Scotland UK
« Reply #262 on: August 13, 2014, 03:41:32 PM »
Hi Ramon,

What a wonderful piece of work you have produced, you can certainly be very proud of that hull, it is stunning, and the new boiler is a masterpiece.
I am very pleased the burner is performing it's job properly, albeit, it needed some minor changes to the original design.
Did you monitor the steam pressure whilst running the D10?... how did the pressure hold up with the reduced burner?

Yes it has been a long road, but very worthwhile... when I look back to the original and compare it to the latest, it would seem impossible that they share anything in common... It just goes to prove that with dedication and determination anything can be achieved.
As for my SMALL input, well it was only a load of calculations at the end of the day and a few pointers :shrug:, wherase you have done a remarkable job of the actual engineering. :NotWorthy:

Setting up an outside gas source for initial boiler heating is a very good idea, since this can be from a much larger tank and only requires a change-over valve arrangement to be installed (prior to any gas pressure regulator if installed)... it will certainly make a considerable difference to the sailing time... are you planning on some form of boiler water feed?

Congratulations on a job extremely well done.

I look forward to the next stages of Wide a Wake.

Best regards.

Sandy. :D

PS. I hope you enjoy the Nats, I wish I could join you there... if you see Bernie Langworth around the TR circuits give him my regards.(Ex Wanstead Warhawks)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #263 on: August 13, 2014, 03:51:26 PM »
Excellent Ramon...this has been a wonderful thread to tag along on, and a very well done thread too. Thanks for letting us follow the progress!!

Bill

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #264 on: August 13, 2014, 03:53:20 PM »
Steamer - is that as an alternative location to the one in the back of the flue? Given that there is nowhere near the heat coming out of the funnel as expected I was wondering if that actually needs the stainless baffle I have fitted. On the face of it it would also
appear to support Georges thoughts that the steam drier tube, set in the lower flue would be fine from a deterioration point of view.

No, I think you're thinking superheater....I'm thinking a feedwater heater in the base of the stack.   Of course if your not doing an engine driven feed pump, then it really doesn't help you.   

The other way to heat your feedwater would be to plumb the engine exhaust through a heat exchanger in a tank.    Again...needs a pump to make it work.

I use both a feedwater heater and a economizer on my launch...but no superheat....
Damned ijjit!

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #265 on: August 13, 2014, 04:15:48 PM »
Ramon,
I would never want to miss any contributions you make here as they are uniformly interesting and informative.

I also really admire your ability to manage your "to work on" list as you do. I'll certainly be watching your current work no matter what.

--Tim

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #266 on: August 13, 2014, 05:40:15 PM »
Magnificent job  :praise2:  :praise2: The lagging is beautiful and finally running an engine under steam must be a great feeling  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #267 on: August 13, 2014, 10:52:31 PM »
Hi again guys good to hear from you  all  :)

well it was only a load of calculations at the end of the day and a few pointers

Sandy - That may be so to you but to me it proved an enormous help - I can't express my appreciation enough  :ThumbsUp:

Now taking into account my limited experience I would say the burner performed very well - I did adjust the jet position as it was running but could see nor hear no appreciable loss or gain so reset it as shown in the past post. I didn't monitor the steam pressure other than notice it dropped to around half WP once the burner valve was closed in. (The Stuart gauge is reading high - just over 70 psi at a true 60.) It did however maintain that until the gas ran out - the tank then was was quite cold as expected so I anticipated gas would be left and the pressure had dropped. Once disconnected however there was very little gas left inside, just a quick puff when the tank valve was opened to drain it. I think it will require another run at some stage with pre heating then monitoring the gas consumption on a full tank. Good to hear you favour an external supply so, as already decided, a regulator will be fitted in due course along with an external connection. It's my intention to make the gas tank and regulator along with all piping removable by undoing just one connection.

It's intended to fit two boiler feeds - an engine driven pump and a hand pump for emergencies. There are two water tanks (disguised as coal bunkers) fitted either side of the boiler which will be interconnected, the hand pump possibly 'hidden' inside one of them.

This brings me on to Steamer -

We may be at crossed purposes here Dave (apologies for repeating pics but it will save referring backwards) - I have fitted a coil of tubing, connected to the main steam pipe, running down inside the flue from the top to act as a steam 'drier' - I don't think this would be considered a super-heater but it's obviously doing a similar service.

The feed water will be pumped by the engine pump around this coil which is fitted in the back end of the flue before entering the boiler via a clack valve.

The brass hexagon now carries a 40 mm diameter 20swg stainless disc perforated with six 4mm holes to act as a heat shield to prevent the water from boiling before getting into the boiler - well that's the thinking anyway - but given the amount of heat absorbtion of the flame that may actually not be necessary.

I was always under the impression that a 'feedwater heater' pre-heated the water before pumping ie with heat exchanger in the tank as you suggest and an 'economiser', normally fitted inside the boiler backhead heated it after pumping. Would that be right?

If so I guess that brings me back to my question - would you think an economiser in the funnel be as effective (or more) as this one in the end of the flue?

Another couple of questions please

Given that the Stuart gauge is reading high is it possible to adjust the needle back onto the stop? It currently sits at about 10 psi

Is it okay to store the boiler with water in or should it be drained after each use?

Regards - Ramon

PS Sandy - I will look Bernie out for you - I'm meeting up with Alan Knight who hails from your old neck of the woods. Alan makes some stunning engines including some very powerful 'Olivers'

"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #268 on: August 14, 2014, 04:56:32 AM »
Nope missed that.  That would do Fine Ramon.  Just perhaps more of it.

If your out of room on the back of the flue...the next place would be the stack, but I would pump the feed there first, then to the back of the flue....

Wonderful Job Ramon, always a pleasure to see your builds

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #269 on: August 14, 2014, 07:28:53 AM »
Ramon

It's always good practice to blow down the boiler after use

Two reasons
One to get rid of scale ans sludge
Two to empty it

Note this is done when the pressure is down to about 20 psi

Note to all this does not apply to steel boilers the AFAIK should be blown down but left ful with the tanning compound in the water or left dry with a small heater ( lamp) to keep them dry , but I may be wrong on this

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal