Author Topic: 'WIDE A WAKE' a steam launch tale  (Read 233894 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: 'WIDE A WAKE' a steam launch tale
« Reply #165 on: May 23, 2014, 12:04:17 AM »
Still following along Ramon...very impressive work too!!

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #166 on: May 23, 2014, 01:08:16 AM »
Ramon that is a very impressive bit of work. That setup on the mill is the cats mew. I like......... :praise2:

:popcorn:
Don

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #167 on: May 23, 2014, 09:32:42 AM »
That's coming along great Ramon!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #168 on: May 25, 2014, 07:51:06 PM »
That's an impressive piece of work  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: Fingers crossed for the hydraulic test.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #169 on: June 24, 2014, 10:19:07 PM »
Not much to report guys infact only one pic but it is a big step.

I finally made all the plugs yesterday and after making a syringe to fill it, pressure tested it to twice working pressure without any leaking apart from some seeping around the dome flange - it was dropping about 5psi in 5-6 mins. I felt the perhaps the 'O' ring groove was a tad too deep so took the dome off to skim the face to give more contact only to find I hadn't fitted the ring  ::) I was well chuffed to think that that metal to metal face was holding that well. With a ring fitted and the bolts just nipped sufficiently I retested to 1 1/2 times WP (90 psi) and left it at that for just over two hours - it dropped about 2 psi over that time

I'll get the proper test done in a couple of weeks or so and then start to add the fittings and cladding as well as making the burner ready for picking up back on the launch around September time.

I am well pleased with this result - when I first considered pulling it apart I really wasn't that hopeful that it would actually work out - just goes to show that despite reservations some things really are worth trying.

Regards - Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #170 on: June 24, 2014, 11:10:40 PM »
Ramon I am glad to see that you efforts have paided off and you have good results. It was great to follow along through the whole process. I think we all learned quiet a bit with you.Thanks for taking the time to post it.

Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #171 on: June 25, 2014, 12:17:16 AM »
glad to see the update Ramon, and congratulations on a successful test!!

Bill

Offline Robert Hornby

• Terrigal NSW Australia
« Reply #172 on: June 25, 2014, 12:22:38 AM »
Well done Ramon, I am following closely and comparing yours and my boiler builds mine seems a bit 'ad hock' compared to yours. I love the water pump you are using for the pressure test, will you be using this for the launch also? Do you have drawings for it? if so I would very much like to see them if you you would be so kind.
I have put mine aside for a week or two as I deal with a couple of recalcitrant Stirling engines.
Robert
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #173 on: June 25, 2014, 02:35:24 AM »
 :facepalm: "left it at that for just over two hours - it dropped about 2 psi over that time"

Ramon.......I suggest that 2 PSI is not any form of leakage or external bypass, but the natural decompression due to a miniscule amount of entrapped air within the water...congratulations  :cheers: ....Derek
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #174 on: June 25, 2014, 05:01:10 AM »
Good progress.

Vince

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #175 on: June 25, 2014, 07:37:33 AM »
Well done with the boiler, it's always a good with no leaks

That pressure drop the first test is down to the fully annealed copper giving nothing to worry about

Let be fair you have annealed that copper pretty well during the build it's a well known thing

Just do the test a few times up to the SWP and I think you will find it will stabilise

A word of dire warning do not do a boiler test outside at this time of year and leave it pressurised the heat from to sun will expand the water and destroy the boiler , it's ok when the safety valve is in it will control the rise but now you have a seal vessel

If you read the old timers methods they used to test the boiler by haveing a pressure gauge fitted and gently warm the boiler with a meths lamp to cause the expansion thus the pressure rise

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline K.B.C

« Reply #176 on: June 25, 2014, 09:37:16 AM »
Well done with the boiler, it's always a good with no leaks

That pressure drop the first test is down to the fully annealed copper giving nothing to worry about

Let be fair you have annealed that copper pretty well during the build it's a well known thing

Just do the test a few times up to the SWP and I think you will find it will stabilise

A word of dire warning do not do a boiler test outside at this time of year and leave it pressurised the heat from to sun will expand the water and destroy the boiler , it's ok when the safety valve is in it will control the rise but now you have a seal vessel

If you read the old timers methods they used to test the boiler by haveing a pressure gauge fitted and gently warm the boiler with a meths lamp to cause the expansion thus the pressure rise

Stuart

Stuart,

Sound advice.
Many times before I made  test gear I used the old timer's method of putting a gauge on the boiler and gently heating with a blow lamp bringing the heat on and off  to bring it up to pressure, one had to be careful as the pressure rose to near W.P. a little too much heat and the pressure whips up dramatically.

Ramon,
What a beautiful Wide Awake hull, Mick  would have been so pleased to see it and your boiler re-furb has come out great, well done.

George.
Your never too old to learn.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #177 on: June 25, 2014, 08:10:17 PM »
Hi Guys - thanks for all the kind comments especially in light of the lack of input on my part this last month or so. Sharing this hobby with two others certainly makes for full days at times that's for sure - for the most part I enjoy myself immensely but it can get a bit on top of you 'time-wise' at times when there still seems something left of the day but tiredness takes it's hold.

Robert - the pump was one I made when I did the boiler all those years ago and was intended for the boat. Though a copy of any basic pump it was to my own layout and it works well enough. The balls rest on O ring seats that just hold in place with friction - extremely good sealing! I don't have any drawings as such but I will take the dimensions for you.

Derek - thanks for the explanation - with absolutely no water present anywhere I assumed it would be due to 'settling' or lower ambient temperature

It will be a couple of weeks or so before I can get it officially tested and I have some more workshop improvements on the cards  which I'd like to do first but I really do intend to progress this now and have this ready for the water next spring/summer

Thanks again - as always much appreciated

Regards - Ramon

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #178 on: July 20, 2014, 12:00:06 AM »
Hi guys, well at last those workshop improvements have come to an end so I've been able to pick this up again. I have not yet had it tested officially but that should be the week after next.

I've been thinking about the burner and the need for a nice lump of brass to make the main body. I do have a good piece that's been continuously saved for something special (which will probably never occur ::) ) but its rather large in diameter and would be a real waste to turn mainly into swarf. I was lucky enough to find a piece of bronze at Guildford for a fiver which looked as if it would do - even had a good hole in it - but alas it was just a tad too big (the hole). So needs must and I cut three discs from another piece of 1/4" sheet brass I've had for years and silver soldered them together after rough boring.....

The step in the ID's was to give the solder something to 'fillet' on and the centre pops were to help raise the plates apart sufficient to allow the solder to flow through. As you can see I got a bit carried away and did both sides of the outer one  ::) A short length of 1.5 brazing wire kept them in line.

It turned up okay despite the annealing and produced a ring from which to continue

Next up was the mixing chamber which again was made from sheet brass (16 swg) and finally those GT Rolls, made oh so long ago, got to do their thing for real  ;D

First one came out slightly too large on diameter so an attempt to turn it was made. It quickly became apparent it was not running true moving in the chuck possibly so a decision was made to do another .....

This time - taking more care to true it in the chuck using a tool to 'mark' the high spot it suddenly picked up and deposited itself in the back of the lathe with a loud bang. After retrieving it and quickly coming to the conclusion that this too would not be suitable either it then went on a further journey through the open door faster than a Mig 25 Foxbat on full reheat. Why 'bless my soul' I thought (yeah you bet  ;D)  I'll be rather good at this rolling lark if this keeps up  ::)

Any way third time lucky and the makings were there..

.. and a few hours later it was ready to try

Now this is the first time I have had anything to do with a burner of this type so have no idea what it should actually burn like.
It's to Sandy's design throughout except the jet - Sandy suggests a .3 hole but I only had a .35. It burnt with a long soft yellow flame so I assume not enough primary air or too big a jet. Not having a smaller drill (some .2mm and .3mm now on order) I popped the jet in its collet, ran the lathe backwards and burnished the face closing the hole somewhat.

Though the size of this hole is now unknown the flame intensified - the ceramic began to get red on all the high points - and though still yellow the length of the yellow flame reduced considerably

As I'm completely in the dark on this type of burner any help anyone (Sandy?) can shed to improve this (if you feel it can or should be improved that is) would be appreciated.
My plan is to make new jets at .2mm and .3mm as soon as the drills arrive and test them before carrying out any mods to the primary air holes or rest of the burner.

Anyway this is the latest stage - fittings next  ;)

Hope this small step forwards is still of interest

Regards - Ramon

PS Robert - if you read this I have just realised I have forgotten to measure that hand pump for you - tomorrow I'm out for most of the day but will do it as soon as I can - I've even made a note so I don't forget again  :old: .
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 12:05:52 AM by Ramon »

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
« Reply #179 on: July 20, 2014, 12:24:08 AM »
Hope this small step forwards is still of interest

Are you kidding?  ;D Every one of your build posts is full of interest!

Simon

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal