Author Topic: 'WIDE A WAKE' a steam launch tale  (Read 233760 times)

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
Re: 'WIDE A WAKE' a steam launch tale
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2014, 09:17:53 PM »
Hi Guys
Just a small update to say that after many years of knowing it had to be done I finally bit the bullet and began to take the boiler apart. As previously mentioned I made this in 1972 with very little knowledge of what was actually required. A leaky tube prevented any form of pressure test taking place so it has sat as an ornament for quite some time  ::)

With the cost of a new piece of tube at £90.00 :o I thought that it's at least worth a try to reclaim this piece so this is the next stage in WaW's build. If I can successfully rebuild this then I can go ahead and fit out the inside. If not it's a complete new boiler .

So this is the last pic of it as it was.. spot the deliberate mistake on that water gauge :embarassed:

Back to the bare bones..

The end plates were held captive by inserted rings - once more, indeed twice more, I cringe :embarassed: :embarassed:

First thing to release is the flue tube. I did this by chain drilling arounnd it then cutting through the waste between the holes with a rotary burr

I thought that once that front plate is removed the flue could possibly wring and deform the shell so decided to cut the flue tube too. I was surprised to find that the reinforced cut off disc did not clog and cut the copper reasonably well. The power tool got very hot though so I had to do in in four goes.

Mistake of the day was to turn that bottom support from MDF. Cor what a mess  :o Despite trying to keep it contained on the lathe the woolly dust went just everywhere. It took ages to clean up.

This is the set up I shall use on my friend John's large R/T for taking out those end plates but that won't be until next Wednesday. It's been a long time in coming but at last that first step has been taken

I enquired locally today about the Celcon Thermalite bricks - ten of them. "What's the cost" I asked -"Nine quid" came the reply - gasp "What each" :o  "No for the lot" Phewww

I'll get them next week and try flanging the new end plates which will be a first for me.

Back soon then

Regards - Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2014, 06:16:17 AM »
How many ways can you spell 'fun'? Hope you have lots, despite the obvious. I can't spot the water gauge mistake!

Hugh.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2014, 09:35:04 AM »
Hi Hugh - Fun? Hmmm We'll see - cleaning up those ends after milling might not quite be  ;)  The water gauge is far too long. I believe the bottom of the gauge should be above the minimum water level  ::)

Now Guys - a bit of help is sought...
Before I buggrr up the only bit of 12sgw sheet I have a question for those who've been there before - when I cut the end plates for flanging how much do I add on the outer diameter ? - I'd like to finish clean the flanges up at around 3/8 -1/2" long

Many thanks - Ramon

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2014, 10:07:29 AM »
Well, you got more bottle than me, taking on a repair like that.

The parallel portion of the flange should not need to be ore than (say) 5/16" - 3/8" depends a bit on your radius, of course, but I should think 7/16" - 1/2" flanging allowance would be ample.
The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2014, 10:07:47 AM »
Alex Famer recommends that for a 3/8" flange the cutting line for the metal is 7/16" out from the edge of the former.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2014, 10:52:37 AM »
Thanks Tel and Jo - I have enough to do the job but only just.

It's a case of needs must Tel after all I can only give it a go. It's not much use as it is. My only concern is will I have enough heat. When it was soldered before I used the big bullfinch burner that I still have to get general heat and the solder was run in using Oxy/Acetylene. That said it was done on an open bench - not in a hearth.

My intention is to build a close-ish fitting hearth and infill with broken bits of the thermal brick leaving just one end exposed. Any comments that anyone can add to that will be appreciated as this is the first time I've done anything like this since it was first built.

I'm well versed on silver soldering so no worries there but this is, by my standards, a 'big lump'

Regards - Ramon

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2014, 11:17:52 AM »
Seems well worth it.
That's a nice looking boiler.
I hope to keep tabs on this.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2014, 08:31:03 PM »
Ramon

As you have the thermal blocks when you do the SS place the blocks around it stood on end it's only a small boiler you should have no problem ,the main point is the size of your propane tank a little dumpy one will not cut it you need one about three foot tall , it's all about the evaporation rate . If you can get a regulator the will give 4.5bar better still.

Just take your time and heat it slowly it could take 20 mins to get it up to temp .with the bigger jobs two torches are better with a smaller one to do the actual joint

Best of luck but aim sure you will not need it

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

fcheslop

« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2014, 10:15:24 PM »
Hi Ramon, cannot add to what's already been said other than good luck with the salvage job :ThumbsUp:
best wishes
frazer

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2014, 10:20:21 PM »
Throttle down Ramon!.   I have faith.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2014, 04:04:08 AM »
As one who has faith in you Ramon, I'd ignore what Dave said - damn the torpedoes, and throttle up!

Hugh.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2014, 05:32:53 AM »
A distinction without much difference...or put another way

Wot Hugh Said!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2014, 08:36:59 AM »
' Morning Guys, Thanks for your input and comments as usual  :ThumbsUp:

Nice to see you here Carl(Zee) - haven't seen your name lately - hope you are well.

Stuart - thanks for the advice on heating. I have a very big nozzle for the Bullfinch handle - trouble is the handle is the short version so it's a bit alarming to use up close. I also have a Seivert. Yes, the plan is, with the help of my good friend John, to use two burners, that larger Bullfinch one for the general heat and a smaller one for the localised.

As for faith guys well I guess it's in the lap of the gods  ::)

Back soon then with some update on those first attempts at flanging

Regards - Ramon

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2014, 08:47:51 AM »
As to flanging anneal often as soon as it resists anneal it, you may need five anneal rounds

Metal formers are the way to go  and do use a backing plate to stop the centre bowing out

One last point I assume you are building flange in ,flux tap in end plate and then drill a1/6 hole in three places ,put in a copper rivet don't worry about not being able to peen it over , the reason is to stop the end falling in when heated, just touch the rivet with the SS to seal

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2014, 08:58:27 AM »
Thanks Stuart - I was planning on using plywood (I have some very dense stuff) but realised on Saturday I have some 6" steel blanks so will be using that now - not only to form but as a spotting jig too. I had actually thought of using rivets but mainly to ensure alignment of the flue position - that would be a bit of an embarrassment for the end to fall in - oh dear  :o. Thanks for the 'heads up' on the backing plate too, that I hadn't thought about.

I have to go now - Sue insists we go to town - shopping beckons  ::)

regards - Ramon

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal