Author Topic: 'WIDE A WAKE' a steam launch tale  (Read 233766 times)

Offline Jim Nic

• Buckingham, UK
Re: 'WIDE A WAKE' a steam launch tale
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2013, 09:12:42 PM »
So who's going to be first to accuse Ramon of "showing off" ?  Not anyone here, I'm sure, and most certainly not me.  I'm just very grateful to you Ramon for taking the time to describe your beautiful work for the benefit of us all.  I find it truly inspiring.

Jim
The person who never made a mistake never made anything.

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2013, 09:38:46 PM »
Showing off? It would be criminal not to show work of that standard!
The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2013, 09:47:34 PM »
There are a number of "Wide a Wake" build on other WEB sites..........however I intentionally didn't mention this

This detailed build here by Ramon is an inspiration to many 'would be' wooden boat builders  :facepalm:

I hope to read & view many more details of the internal fit out....... :cheers: .....Derek
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2013, 11:03:04 PM »
Oh dear Guy's I didn't quite expect this response :embarassed: It just goes to show that sometimes you have to choose your words very carefully  ::)

It's all very thoughtful of you and truly, very much appreciated, but I can see I didn't quite phrase my words well and I'm now feeling a mite foolish. I really just meant that given I'd been missing from here for quite a while I hoped it wouldn't be seen as a 'look what I've made' post - especially as it was all in wood  :o .

Honestly - it's been a pleasure to post about it and very gratifying to hear your responses but really, I think that should be enough on this now. I can't thank you enough though for all your very kind comments of support and your interest in the subject.

I'll look forward to bringing you the next stage as soon as I can - in the meantime my very best regards

Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2013, 12:10:58 AM »

It's all very thoughtful of you and truly, very much appreciated, but I can see I didn't quite phrase my words well and I'm now feeling a mite foolish. I really just meant that given I'd been missing from here for quite a while I hoped it wouldn't be seen as a 'look what I've made' post - especially as it was all in wood  :o .

Ramon....not at all...  All I meant is I'm glad you posted.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Robert Hornby

• Terrigal NSW Australia
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2013, 12:41:08 AM »
Ramon, I now feel quite a fraud as I am planning to make my boat hull in fibreglass. In my defence I do not have your wood working skills and very little wood working equipment/tools. I would dearly love to have my hull like yours, what a masterpiece, but bearing in mind my prototype has smooth sides rather than clinker and none of the glass will be visible it will have to do. I am really looking forward to the ‘fitting out’ of your boat as I am sure I will learn plenty.
Again congratulations on your build.
Robert
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2013, 12:48:23 AM »
Ramon, you must have a heart of gold and an insecure spot the size of Texas. I love what you're doing. I think we're all glad you are back posting and I think everyone is loving what you are showing. Engines were meant to "do something" and you are doing something with them and at a very high standard. If any member here makes a nice part or completes a build we're tickled to share it,  as you should be. now, as we rednecks say; Get on with yo'self boy :lolb:

Whiskey

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2013, 12:54:56 AM »
Ramon your skills are bar none, we are so glad you have taken the time to share your efforts with us. We learn from all of this, with your well documented thread. Thanks you for your continued efforts to share it with us.

Don

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2013, 12:12:34 PM »
Hi Guys - Nothing further to report save some very small screws have just arrived which will allow me to finish off the planking at the stem and stern.

Robert - There is nothing wrong in using Fibreglass particularly as your prototype was carvel built. We have a couple of 'open boats' in the boat club which have been fitted out inside with wood 'planks' and 'frames' in areas that are 'seen' and very convincing it is too. That saying - 'All art is an illusion' - springs to mind.
Looks like we are working from opposite ends so to speak - my engine will come last in the process. Though I do have a Double Ten to use it doesn't have any reversing gear. I have this article from ME written by K Harris  on 'Lang' reversing gear which only uses one eccentric  The article is a proposal not a practical description of something previously made - anyone have any practical knowledge of this gear? I'm thinking about modifying the 'ten' and will try to fit this type of gear.

'Whiskey' - Sue says you  'Have it in one'  ;)  - thanks for those sage thoughts,

and Don - Thank you for your thoughts too.

Back soon with some info on tackling that boiler (I can't actually begin until I can get together with the club inspector to discuss the work planned so that will be a week or three as yet!)

Seasons greetings to all

regards - Ramon

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2013, 12:20:43 PM »
Hi Ramon,

A reversion link with one eccentric evokes thought of "radial" valve gear...does it have a slotted link...or a swinging link?

Sounds interesting!

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2013, 06:28:34 PM »
Hi Dave, I've been looking all over for the copy of this article - I was hoping I might find it with a set of instructions for a plastic model that I have totally misplaced  ::) No so, so gawd knows where they are.

Anyway, found it where I'd put it which is not were it should be but that's par for the course these days.

I've just realised that it was published in the same month and year as the Wide A Wake was - there's coincidence for you.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to put a copy up here but if it is I'll do it later.
It appears that the link is connected to the eccentric strap in two places - the valve rod itself being moved by the weighshaft

My thoughts - at the moment and subject to change no doubt  - are to replace the two cylinders with a fabricated cast iron block and work from there but we shall see.

Let me know if it's okay to post the original article

Regards - Ramon

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2013, 08:07:17 PM »
Have you an issue number for that article Ramon? All the best for the season!

Hugh.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2013, 08:13:26 PM »
3435, Vol 138, 1972

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2013, 08:53:33 PM »
Hi Hugh - Yes it was February 1972 page 175 - not sure which Feb issue though.

Just had a PM from Jo regarding copyright - seems it 'may' be okay to use part of the article as a reference so here's the diagram from the article Dave...

As previously mentioned it was written by KN Harris and featured in Model Engineer date as above

I think I see it that the triangular link keeps the link in position relative to the eccentric movement, the weigh-shaft moving the valve rod to either side of point G. I have a feeling there is a small commercial engine fitted with something similar if not the same.

Ah! I see that Jason has just beaten me to it again - Thanks Jason

In the text KN suggests making link 'd' adjustable but given the size it might be better to make some temp links with varying spacing before finalising the part.

Regards - Ramon

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2013, 01:17:57 AM »
Looks like a hybrid of a few different styles....Walschaerts , Stevenson, and radial ( Joy)

Cool!   Very interesting!

Is the lead constant like a radial system?........haven't let this one roll around in my head yet..... 8)

Dave
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal