Author Topic: 'WIDE A WAKE' a steam launch tale  (Read 233803 times)

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
Re: 'WIDE A WAKE' a steam launch tale
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2013, 10:13:27 PM »
Hi Guys

Once again my thanks for all your kind words. I've reached a cut off point now and need to make provision for fitting the boiler and engine before continuing any more wood work. That will entail stripping the boiler down and milling out the end plates so as to remove the centre flue then starting again making sure that this time the centre flue is pressure tested for leaks before fitting it to the boiler shell  :facepalm2: 

Just to finish off this stage then here are a few images that brings the hull up to date......

Next stage was to fit the ribs. These were cut from Poplar often referred to as Tulipwood. These were sawn to size and had the edges on one face rounded using the sanding block then smoothed with a piece of 180 grit paper held in the hand.

A fewstrips at a time were then steamed for 20mins or so to make them flexible - the steamer, used for the planking as well, was just four pieces of pine screwed together with the open ends blocked with old 'outside duty' cloths. The steam source was a wallpaper stripper which provided copious amounts of steam.

Each rib was quickly pressed into position to form over the hog and held with clamps until dry - about 4-6hours

Then before steaming and fitting the next ribs these were  rivetted sufficient enough to secure in place - they would be fully rivetted later. Initially six ribs were steamed but proved too many to fit at one time so after this they were done three at a time.

Then it was a matter of steadily working through all twenty two ribs and filling in the remaining rivets.....

.....before finally reaching that magic moment - the last two ;D

With all the ribs in the inwhale could be fitted - glued and clamped in place, rivetted between clamps and gradually working along

With those significant parts in, the 'Breasthook' -

- and the 'Quarter Knees' were glued and clamped in place. (Currently I'm awaiting some very small screws - then the space between the inwhale and sheer plank will be filled before screwing into these parts)

And that's it for this initial phase. It's a short break before working on the boiler and once thats done the boat can enter its second phase - fitting out and laying the deck areas. Last 'couple' of pics then..

To coin a phrase then 'That's all Folks' it'll be a while before the next post but in the meantime thanks for taking such an interest in this build so far and for all those kind thoughts and comments - you might like to know I took it to the College again today to find out more about 'stringers and risers' and how to fit the engine supports - let's just say they liked it  ;)

I wish you all a very pleasant Christmas - hope you find space somewhere for some workshop time - and of course a Very Happy, Peaceful and Productive New Year :ThumbsUp:

Regards - Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2013, 10:58:15 PM »
What a thing of beauty. I would be immensely proud to have made that.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Simon

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2013, 11:21:35 PM »
What a thing of beauty. I would be immensely proud to have made that.
  Amen to that  :NotWorthy:

I remember sailing a clinker rowboat approx 5m./15' with a 5.5HP Johnson outboard (my grandfathers) from birth to about 12 years old along with this old steamer (150 years in 2011) :

Best memories of my childhood - so you can say I got a very soft spot clinker builds  :)

Sorry about the size - but it's not my picture.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2013, 01:26:32 AM »
Man, that's a lot of rivets Ramon but it sure looks fantastic!! Will be looking forward to the next update, even if it is a while.

Bill

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2013, 03:33:53 AM »
It definitely is a thing of beauty, but before you go, could we see a shot of how the rivets look clinched on the seaward side of the hull?

Cheers, Hugh.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2013, 07:31:38 AM »
The Hull looks really good  :ThumbsUp: but you are still not convincing me that I want to work in that material  :ShakeHead:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2013, 08:48:35 AM »
As one boat builder to another Ramon....That's some mighty fine work! :praise2:

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Stilldrillin

• Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2013, 09:00:19 AM »
Like, beautiful poetry

"Well done", just doesn't seem enough.......  :praise2:

David D
David.
Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!
Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2013, 09:03:17 AM »
Like, beautiful poetry

"Well done", just doesn't seem enough.......  :praise2:

David D

Couldn't agree more....that is some mighty fine "Kung-fu"!
Damned ijjit!

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2013, 09:29:35 AM »
Dave - I had a good chuckle at that - your powers of description have to be heard (or seen) - 'Kung Fu' eh - ah! you definitely have a way with words ;)

'Guys' I'm sure you know how I feel from all your kind words - I love sharing what I do but hope it's never seen as 'showing off'. I'm not going to have too much to say for awhile but this time I shall stay around to keep up to speed with what you all are doing too - I guess I feel 'not a little' guilty that I haven't done that these past six months.

Anyway, thank you all again - here's that 'one more pic' for Hugh and I'll leave you in peace for a short while

Hugh - the 'rivets' were driven home from the inside then the surplus nipped off  to within a mm or so. The rough point was knocked back with a file then they were peened over holding a dolly on the inside. Once peened they were filed smooth and sanded back hopefully to look like the nail heads they should be.

Regards for now - Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2013, 09:41:29 AM »
Ramon,

We all have lives to live.  I have a pair of active happy kids, and a loving somehow and for some reason that escapes me ...adores and loves me. 
I get pulled in 15 directions by the kids, the wife, the house, the job, the family...you name it...someone wants a piece.

You just do what you can do.   That's it!....there isn't anything more philosophical than that....one little day at a time.

I would suggest you are doing the same...and I for one...and I think I speak for a lot of the membership...very much appreciate what you contribute, and we have all learned from it.

As far as "showing off" ...Nothing of the sort!...no we are sharing a passion to "do"...we all bring our own "flavor" to it...and we all appreciate how much time, money, effort, tears!...go into it.   I KNOW what it takes to  build a boat.....like many things in life....PERSISTANCE!...COURAGE!.....for what you say?....the UNKNOWN!

We are not born knowing this stuff...we learn it, and the biggest part of learning something scary is EFFORT   The "DO" part.

But you already know this ........ 8)
 :cheers:
Dave

Damned ijjit!

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2013, 11:47:41 AM »
Hmmmmm....ta.

Hugh.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2013, 12:24:03 PM »
Dave has already said it best Ramon...but to paraphrase another tongue in cheek saying...."If you can do it, it ain't bragging !"  :)  I for one am loving this build and know NOTHING about boats or boat building either one.

Bill

Offline HobbyNut

• Surrey BC
    • What I do
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2013, 05:27:16 PM »
That is a lot of very fine work.... well worth showing off...bragging: not even close.....
I don't think that you will find too many on here that could be guilty of that.
It is all sharing with others for their knowledge, or conversely gaining from others for your knowledge.....(in my case!!)
PatO
I started out with nothing, I still have most of it left.

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2013, 08:34:55 PM »

I would suggest you are doing the same...and I for one...and I think I speak for a lot of the membership...very much appreciate what you contribute, and we have all learned from it.

As far as "showing off" ...Nothing of the sort!...no we are sharing a passion to "do"...we all bring our own "flavor" to it...and we all appreciate how much time, money, effort, tears!...go into it.   I KNOW what it takes to  build a boat.....like many things in life....PERSISTANCE!...COURAGE!.....for what you say?....the UNKNOWN!

We are not born knowing this stuff...we learn it, and the biggest part of learning something scary is EFFORT   The "DO" part.

But you already know this

Dave

Here, here!

Having built 2x 12 ft sailing boats and restored a wooden 40ft workboat and a 103ft steel steam tug. The last 2 with a lot of help from others, it's all been 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration!! At one stage I was going to strap a pair of oars on my back and start walking North. When somebody tapped me on the shoulder and asked what they were, I figured that would be a good place to settle. I ended up building our new house 600yds from the Great Southern Ocean!

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal