Author Topic: 'WIDE A WAKE' a steam launch tale  (Read 236165 times)

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Re: 'WIDE A WAKE' a steam launch tale
« Reply #690 on: August 17, 2016, 01:20:07 AM »
Amazing craftsmanship Ramon,

All the detail you have put into the whole project is just stunning; I love the contrast that the gray paint on the bottom of the hull adds. Then add the engine, pump, tanks and piping; just wow. I don't know what else to say.

Amazing work my friend,

Dave

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #691 on: August 17, 2016, 09:02:59 AM »
Hi guys - thank you all for all your kind comments and appreciation  :)

Don, good to see you still have the opportunity to look in despite all the trauma of the flooding that surrounds you. I trust you are coping well with such an awful situation.

Phil, I didn't refer to it in any detail as such but I had lagged the steam pipes with cotton parcel string first (two layers). Following a comment that someone -Derek I believe - had used Poly-Filla to smooth things out I was about to do the same using standard Mili-Put epoxy putty when I found some of the 'White' Mili-Put in the drawer and used that. It's meant for porcelain repairs I believe. This was quite old and one part had a tough-ish 'skin' on. This will still homogenise with the other part but it really has to be worked hard to do so - it would have been much better to use some fresh stuff. If you haven't used Mili-Put before it responds really well when working/shaping using water as a lubricant which does not affect the curing or finish in any way.

Derek - you raise a very good point - however I'm assured that the mechanic is most definitely tee-total during the day  :o

This does not of course eliminate the possibility of closing both valves at the same time whilst running the engine but given the training he has undergone if he does so he will most certainly be fired.

Short of trying to fit some kind of interlock (and that's not going to be a popular option at this stage) I can't see how to overcome this potential situation - I'll just have to be very careful and pay attention - particularly at the launch with the bubbly doing the rounds  :D

Thanks again guys  :ThumbsUp: back soon - Ramon

"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #692 on: August 17, 2016, 10:48:44 AM »
You could possibly have a very weak safety valve on it Ramon just strong enough not to blow due to back pressure from the blower pipe when running, maybe tee'd off before one of the valves which would save having to add a boss.

Have a lever on it that can be held shut when pumping out the oil but free to return when you take your finger off of it.

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #693 on: August 17, 2016, 08:44:43 PM »
Hi Ramon. Just beautiful.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #694 on: August 17, 2016, 09:36:29 PM »
OK you old salt dog, I've been quiet long enough.  There is nothing else that can be added to the accolades of the build : I just wish I could load my Lou,  some good wine and cheese,  and board for a  late summer's river cruise.  Beautiful Ramon  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:

Cletus

Offline K.B.C

« Reply #695 on: August 17, 2016, 11:28:47 PM »
Hi
Derek - you raise a very good point - however I'm assured that the mechanic is most definitely tee-total during the day  :o

This does not of course eliminate the possibility of closing both valves at the same time whilst running the engine but given the training he has undergone if he does so he will most certainly be fired.

Short of trying to fit some kind of interlock (and that's not going to be a popular option at this stage) I can't see how to overcome this potential situation - I'll just have to be very careful and pay attention - particularly at the launch with the bubbly doing the rounds  :D

Thanks again guys  :ThumbsUp: back soon - Ramon

Ramon,
Nothing would happen if both valves were closed other than the engine would stop, so all that is required is to open the valves to atmosphere and the engine will run.

This would be found in your pre check before letting the model off on to the water and don't forget that the valve to atmosphere is only used to blow down the tank after a days running.

George.
Your never too old to learn.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #696 on: August 18, 2016, 09:46:39 AM »
Hi Guys - thanks as usual for your input  :)

Jason - thanks, but I shan't break into the system now - as George says it is very unlikely that the situation will arise - I agree not an impossibility, but unlikely given the usage. No, I'll live with it for now.

George - thanks too - hope you and Marion are keeping well and you have recovered fully  :ThumbsUp:

Achim - good to see you still looking in  ;)

Now 'T W-ya' what can I say - jest you pack everything up, get Lou on yer arm, pick up Don on yer way an cut yer self along poste haste to the launch - bubbly's on me and Sue  ;)  Now wouldn't that just be a fine thing indeed were that possible  :) You betcha!

Looking at that exhaust pipe from separator to funnel and bearing in mind Sandy's advice  to have it larger that the inlet I modified the valve yesterday to take a 3/8 x 32 nipple and fitted a 1/4 pipe. It's big difference in bending 1/4 dia to 5/32 especially in a small radius but with plenty of annealing and a couple of false starts got there in the end.It certainly looks more in keeping now.

The servos arrived but I had mistakenly bought micro not 'mini' ones so they are rather too small so some more are on their way.
Whilst waiting for those then I think a damn good clean up is in order  ::)

Regards - Ramon

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #697 on: August 25, 2016, 11:19:50 PM »
Hi guys,

Just a small update on yet another small stage (but for me a big one) - fitting the servos. Big only in that it is one of those jobs in working model making that for some reason I just really loathe undertaking. I don't know why that should be but whatever the model I just find it tedious in the extreme so it tends to be put off until there's no option but to get to grips with it  ::)

Anyway despite this reluctance I'm pleased to say it's done  :)

I decided to use one of the micro servos to control the throttle which it does quite effectively though how it will perform once steam pressure and heat has an effect remains to be seen.

Should it not prove man enough the mounting can be removed for fitting a larger servo but it meant having to drill through the bulkhead for the mounting screws. This whole assembly will have a cover made for it in the form of a locker in order to disguise it

Once this was working okay attention turned to the reversing gear drive.  A 'Sandy and George' type 'servo saver' was made up (thanks guys  :ThumbsUp:) and a servo mount created from ply and lime

This assembly is held by bolts passing through the ribs and hull - it was intended to fit four but two appear to be more than adequate, it works very positively and absorbs all the linkage vibration with no hint of it at the servo arm itself. Again this will have a cover made for it to try to make it more a part of the boat.

I only finished this this evening and though it does need a degree of tweaking it works very well indeed. It also brings the end of the 'mechanical' side of this journey to a near close - just the whistle to sort out  :) What's left after that is basically cosmetic - those covers mentioned above and one for the rudder gear - an anchor and maybe a boat hook too perhaps.

Not long now then ;)

Regards - Ramon

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #698 on: August 25, 2016, 11:42:48 PM »
Congratulations on getting through that little unpleasantness. Always humbled by your high standard of workmanship.

--Tim

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #699 on: August 26, 2016, 12:05:59 AM »
Always a pleasure to see more updates my friend and a marvelous job on installing the servos. Even though not your favorite you have done it justice.

Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #700 on: August 26, 2016, 12:44:33 AM »
A very professional installation Ramon. Very neat and I am sure the covers will hide things well.

Bill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #701 on: August 26, 2016, 01:35:10 AM »
Ramon, I can understand your reluctance to dive in the servo part of the build; after all you are introducing something completely foreign to an otherwise pristine vintage setting. 

The installation is looking wonderful; and when you are done I'm sure everything will be disguised and invisible to the casual observer.

I wish I had your sills; you continue to amaze me.

Dave

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #702 on: August 26, 2016, 07:36:04 AM »
That seems a lot of work for the servo saver, any particular reason why you could not have the springs either side of the reversing lever on the engine and the other end of the linkage straight off the servo, this is the way I mostly did it with the throttle and brake on the RC buggies.

Looking good though and one step closer to the waters edge :)

Offline Robert Hornby

• Terrigal NSW Australia
« Reply #703 on: August 26, 2016, 07:47:15 AM »
I love your approach to the addition of the RC units. I will need to do this later on and will take plenty of inspiration from "Wide a Wake"
Robert
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #704 on: August 26, 2016, 09:52:45 PM »
Jason - that was the original intention until I realised that the two lay shaft levers were fixed in position (pinned and loctited - Ha, what was that precept of never making anything that could not be taken apart  ::). To get a pivoting bush in the 5mm gap would not have been possible without drilling across the push rod hole somewhat defeating the principle.

Thanks for your comments guys - glad that even something mundane like servo installation has been of interest  ;)

Back soon - Ramon

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal