Author Topic: 'WIDE A WAKE' a steam launch tale  (Read 233814 times)

Offline steamboatmodel

Re: 'WIDE A WAKE' a steam launch tale
« Reply #555 on: May 10, 2016, 03:21:18 PM »
I have been following very carefully as I have a set of D10 castings that have been ageing in my shop.
Regards,
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #556 on: May 10, 2016, 11:26:09 PM »
Hi Guy's - Thanks for your responses  :ThumbsUp:

Ah what's in a colour Eric  ::) Mice, men and best laid plans spring to mind. The 'Waller Engine green' is no longer available - well at least from my local car shop. That left over is not enough to do this engine so will be kept in case touch ups on the Waller are required. I've also overlooked the fact that once the engine and boiler mount is in very little of the grey painted hull is visible so being somewhat 'conservative' I'll carry out a 'U' turn and stick with the light grey for the time being and see how it pans out.

That'll be an Asian gnat Chris - Mitutoyo Mics ;)

Derek has put you straight Zee, it's a great combination with gunmetal/yellow bronze for wear characteristics

Gerald, good to see you here, hope it's proving useful for you. Just don't let them age too long - it makes for a great little project as I'm sure you're aware

Today got off to a bit of a bad start :( but then picked itself up and got a tad better  :)

I made a start on the valves using a small scrap of M/Bronze that required little machining to bring to the section size then the valve pockets were carefully milled in each end.

Turned over, the side clearance and slots for the nut and spindle were milled in .....then realisation kicked in - I'd milled the pocket 90 degrees out of phase  ::)

This time no small piece was available so another somewhat larger piece of the rapidly dwindling resources (Know exactly what you mean about consumables Eric  ;)) was milled away to start over.

The second attempt was more successful and the valves and nuts fitted as recommended by good friend George (K.B.C.) Another benefit I discovered with this method George was that the valves could be installed without taking the steam chest off or dropping the rod right out.

I think there's only the clevis pins left to make - tomorrow should see the re-assembly proper

Thanks again guys

regards - Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #557 on: May 11, 2016, 01:17:58 AM »
I think there's only the clevis pins left to make - tomorrow should see the re-assembly proper

:cartwheel:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #558 on: May 11, 2016, 07:01:02 PM »
Its a runner  :) :) :) :) :)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #559 on: May 11, 2016, 07:45:23 PM »

Congratulations!

Video?!  Pleeeaasssee?

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #560 on: May 11, 2016, 08:29:13 PM »

Congratulations!

Video?!  Pleeeaasssee?

I mean really? You just pop in and say it's a runner? Have you not been on other threads?

It didn't happen yet.  :rant:

;D
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #561 on: May 11, 2016, 08:37:53 PM »

I would not expect anything less ;)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #562 on: May 11, 2016, 08:55:21 PM »
Maybe it just ran away. Saw the rest of us mob and ran....

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #563 on: May 11, 2016, 10:16:33 PM »
Back again guys  :)

Only one pic tonight but it is of the last 'mechanical' items required

The clevis pins were turned from silver steel, the washers from mild steel. A simple drill jig ensured the cross holes were true and it was all ready to reassemble.

The crankshaft was removed for grooving and by late this afternoon it was all together ready to set the valves. I have to say yet again that Georges tip for driving the valve by grub screw proved an absolute boon - so simple but such an improvement on having to break things apart just to give the valve rod half a turn or so. Thanks George  :ThumbsUp:

I popped the steam chest cover on one end with a couple of nuts and applied some air to the inlet. A bit of tweaking of the eccentric - pleased to say the access through the strap with the allen key proved successful - and the engine was soon off on one cylinder. The reversing gear ran through okay too. This was all repeated for the second end with the same result - that's when you got the last post  ;)

This evening I cobbled together a 'Y' tube out of copper tube and silicone tubing and with the aid of Sue on the throttle (clamp on the silicone) had it running as it should on both cylinders with some degree of control. It ticks over very slowly which is always a good sign and runs quite smoothly.

I note the valve shaft oscillates slightly so I guess some sort of servo 'saver' device will have to be incorporated in the push rod. Any thoughts George?

After running it for a bit like that I cleaned it and bolted one steam chest on properly using Hylomar as a sealant. This engine is the first time I've used this product - it's easy enough to apply but is it sticky stuff. Anyone any idea what will remove the excess bearing in mind I can't use anything solvent based?

Well, all that remains is to make the exhaust and inlet pipework and regulator. Only when that's done will you get a video  :)

I've promised myself a garden day tomorrow so it will be next week before it's ready to fit in the boat.

So there you are then Zee and Chris - I guess you can sleep easy now guys  ;D

Regards - Ramon

Offline Johnb

• John Browning, IDSME
« Reply #564 on: May 11, 2016, 10:20:42 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
John Browning. Member of Ickenham and District SME

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #565 on: May 11, 2016, 10:27:16 PM »
Being one who's business is greatly weather driven,  I'm sorry old boy,  hope it rains like the devil and then we can get our video  :lolb: :lolb:. I'm  :popcorn: and  :DrinkPint: and waiting.

Eric

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #566 on: May 11, 2016, 10:38:54 PM »
Sounds like it is coming together nicely. For a servo saver, typically we used the double spring type - rod runs through a slip fit sleeve on ghe servo horn, kn either side is a spring with a stop collar on the end. Allows for some vibration movement while limiting the total travel. You can buy them, or if you can find springs the right strength they are simple to make. Another way is to use a pushrod with a W bend in the middle to let it flex a bit.

Offline K.B.C

« Reply #567 on: May 12, 2016, 12:01:34 AM »
Quote.
(I note the valve shaft oscillates slightly so I guess some sort of servo 'saver' device will have to be incorporated in the push rod. Any thoughts George?)

Hi Ramon,
It's coming together fine great job, here is a Servo saver that was given to me by( Alex C ) a contributer to this forum and a very fine engineer, fine springs are available from Biro pens, can be bought as a pack in "TESCO"
I don't know why the oscillations happen with the revers gear, I have tried on several occasions to cure the problem with limited succes,I now use a steel geared high pull servo which helps.

Is there a reason for machining the boss off of the top steam chest and not taking the valve rod up into it as a support ? 

The pic with the servo saver was an attempt to start a 10 V in any position and also to revers it with a servo using slip eccentric.

George.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 12:06:30 AM by K.B.C »
Your never too old to learn.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #568 on: May 12, 2016, 12:02:49 AM »
Congratulations Ramon...enjoy your day in the garden and then get to work on that video :) Seriously, some beautiful work on this one.

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #569 on: May 12, 2016, 01:05:58 AM »
Well I didn't have any doubt it was a runner and patently waiting for the video.

Don

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal