Author Topic: 'WIDE A WAKE' a steam launch tale  (Read 233802 times)

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
Re: 'WIDE A WAKE' a steam launch tale
« Reply #735 on: September 15, 2016, 09:07:49 AM »
Hi Ramon,
 My wife decided to retire a year or so back. Now when I'm in the workshop a voice calls out.... "It's coffee time".... Or lunch or dinner. Haven't had to cook, or vacuum since! Can be recommended! Mind you the downside is the "to do list" can get longer!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #736 on: September 15, 2016, 11:37:41 AM »
Absolutely Gorgeous!
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline bruedney

• Wellington, New Zealand
« Reply #737 on: September 16, 2016, 12:05:16 AM »
Hi Ramon

I too have a Stuart 10D to refurbish and I love what you did with yours.

I notice way back at post 452 you have some lovely drawings. Would you consider sharing those?

Cheers

Bruce
‘Results! Why man, I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won’t work.’ — Thomas Alva Edison

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #738 on: September 16, 2016, 03:14:26 PM »
Hi Bruce,

By all means however I have a slight problem in order to do so  ::)

Since drawing these using Autocad I have unfortunately lost the ability to open all my files (in Autocad). (Don't ask - sore point!!)

However I have downloaded 'Draftsight' which allows me access but these two files were drawn on A3 layout. Having opened them this morning the file is there but on, and well overlapping, an A4 background. I have not yet had the time to get familiarised with 'Draftsight' and though it is similar in some ways I don't know my way round it yet. Try as I might I could not find how to resize that background before going out this morning. The next two or three weeks do not look as if I will have any real time to give to it either but when I do, providing it's successful, I will willingly send you the files.

Regards - Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #739 on: September 16, 2016, 05:04:39 PM »
With the 19th fast approaching - 'Talk like a Pirate day' remember   -  Belay that last remark shipmate. (Get yer hat on Tel)

Done something - don't know what - but its now A3  :D

PM sent Bruce - Ramon

Online Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #740 on: September 16, 2016, 06:03:33 PM »
Ramon Autocad file usually create a Bak file or backup file. Use the explorer and check to see if they were created. Just rename the Bak extension to Dwg.

Don

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #741 on: September 16, 2016, 07:07:01 PM »
Hi Don - thanks but 'loss' of the files isn't/wasn't the problem.

I have had, shall we say, a 'gifted' copy of ACd 2002, and had been using it on an ad hoc basis mainly for the diesel engines. Use was pretty limited.

A good friend approached me sometime ago about making a model of an unusual steam engine built locally many years ago. Despite exhausting all known sources we could only come up with a few images and a page from a catalogue. It was agreed that my friend would do some concept drawings from which I would do the working ones. He also uses a 'gifted' copy. One afternoon he had brought his laptop around for the regular discussion and update of files when opening up his screen declared his Autocad files were inaccessible. At this precise moment in time I had taken his USB indoors to download the latest copy of his engine file onto my PC.

'It would appear' -  from his endeavours to retrieve his files the next day that AC monitors use of gifted copies and will turn a blind eye providing use is not excessive ie possibly commercial. If that is considered so then a block is put on. Apparently, even with the aid of a very computer literate friend, Phil was not able to trace where this block hides. It has to be said that Phil had been burning the minight oil on this project and thinks that his usage matched what he had read about ::) When he phoned to tell me this I opened my files up - same result - his bug is now in my computer :(

I don't know if what I have said there is fact - only what I have been told but I do know however that I couldn't access mine after downloading his file and I do know that I can access and use my ACd files on my old laptop and previous PC - however I'm reluctant to do so on line in case the same thing happens. If it is true that AC monitors low key use of such copies then I have no issues with that - just disappointed that my use was affected by my friends over use.

I looked for an alternative and choose 'Draftsight' because of it's basic similarities. It will open all my Acd files and allow modification etc so I'm legitimate at last. At my age I don't have the inclination nor really the need to go down the 3D route so I'm quite happy with it though as said previously to Bruce I have still not fully got to grips with it - maybe I need to do a new diesel ;)

Thanks for the thought though Don - much appreciated

Regards - Ramon

Offline bruedney

« Reply #742 on: September 16, 2016, 09:38:44 PM »
Thanks Ramon

PM sent

Cheers Bruce
‘Results! Why man, I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won’t work.’ — Thomas Alva Edison

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #743 on: September 19, 2016, 12:07:49 AM »
They are on their way Bruce  ;)

Well after four glorious days of wall to wall sunshine Friday saw a complete change in the weather and it just 'persisted' down with rain all day.  :( ..... And night  :( :(  ..........And into Saturday  :( :( :(

But a 'dates a date' so off we went. The rain stopped - just about long enough and spirits were high and not dampened.

The boat performed well, last minute thoughts of how it would sit in the water - too high and wallow - too low and bloody sink - proved unfounded. With full water tanks and the boiler at the right level it was just slightly down on what was hoped for. A check on the images in the original article showed it much the same. It sat slightly bow down but some lead in the aft compartment should cure that.

Two small leaks - one on the whistle due to someone forgetting the pipe sealant  ::) the other on the 1/4 turn gauge glass blowdown valve due. The off position was far too critical.  I'll change this out for a conventional valve I think.

The gas system worked well but the flame still does not have enough air as the carbon was right at the top of the funnel. Not quite sure how I can overcome this as there is little room for secondary air - possibly a smaller jet may help.

Anyway I'm sure you want to see the pics ..........

Steam was raised by an external tank the switching to the onboard for sailing. Note the overflow from the leaky gauge glass valve  :D

It's going well but Brian Jakob seems a bit concerned.

The buntings on - we're nearly ready to go but hang on a minute....

We've got to get dressed for the part remember  ;D

I think this sums it up  :)

Time to go - careful now Sue, now is not the time to drop it.

And finally, after three years, it gets it's bottom wet  ;D

Can I let it go yet ?

Eve, 'bunting maker extraordinaire' is doing the posh voice "ey neme this boat" bit at this point - she make great cheese straws too guys.

Am I allowed a little self 'chuffedness' ?

And its away on it's first journey

The happy couple .....

....... and the happy gang. Members of the yachting section who all turned out on a particularly grotty non racing day to have some fun. Thanks for the support 'guys'  :)

That's it 'boys and girls' - time for the bubbly and the cucumber sandwiches  ;)

And that was it folks, short but very sweet. I hope these pics, a tad off the mainstream I know, will convey however what a great day it turned out to be. We had hoped for an outside buffet but due to the weather the ladies had prepped the food and bubbly in the set up room and it did not take long to get into the swing of things. Sadly, I'm afraid due to the intense activity, we forgot to take any pics  ;D.  And if that wasn't enough, once that was done and dusted we retired up to the club room to celebrate two birthdays - Sues and Brian Ralphs. Tea (what else?), cheese straws, sausage rolls and lovely home made cakes courtesy of Pauline and Angela. I think you can say we really enjoyed the occasion.

That really is the end of the line - ah you say - what about the video? Well, Sue did take some on a second steaming but unfortunately it really isn't worth pursuing - it's turned out rather out of focus I'm afraid so you'll just have to let the pics tell the tale.

So guys, to coin a phrase,  'That's it Folks' - you really have had it all now. I truly hope you've enjoyed the journey.

My Regards - Ramon

POSTSCRIPT
There's always a postscript !
When I set out to make this boat in 1972 I had no idea what a lathe looked like let alone how to use one. This project set me off into the world of model engineering which all too soon became an over-riding passion. Some eight years later I walked away from a great career as a diver in the offshore industry to retrain as a milling machinist. I really loved the diving but not as much as machining and never ever regretted that decision. I spent the remaining years working in a machine shop environment and enjoyed every single minute turning, grinding or milling (my order of preference!). That all consuming passion for machining however has diminished at an alarming rate over the past few years and there is less and less desire to continue so not only is this the end of the line for the project but, I feel, the beginning of the end for my involvement in ME. You all know I have a deep interest in plastic modelling and given I'm heading toward my last years instead of setting out as I did on this at 27 I am going to take that road from here on. That is not to say that I will not make anything in the future just that there is nothing planned for the foreseeable one.

I wish you all well in you model engine endeavours - I have enjoyed my time posting over the years but now it's time to venture down a different path - well for a while at least  ;)

'Au revoir' then - Ramon

« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 12:15:38 AM by Ramon »

Offline bruedney

« Reply #744 on: September 19, 2016, 12:19:08 AM »
Simply beautiful Ramon (Tug)  :praise2:

I hope that you still "linger" or "loiter with intent" on this forum as you skills and knowledge are an inspiration and I am sure that other "beginners" like me could learn a lot from you even if you are no longer active in ME.

All the best

Bruce

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #745 on: September 19, 2016, 12:46:21 AM »
What wonderful pictures of a great event for all of us that have followed along in your build. Please continue checking in from time to time by all means, you will be sorely missed if you don't. We might even have to track you down :) Thanks so much for bringing us along on this wonderful journey.

Bill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #746 on: September 19, 2016, 12:53:06 AM »
Ramon

Thanks for taking us along this wonderful journey; the end result is just spectacular.

Enjoy your passion and please don't be a stranger.

Dave

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #747 on: September 19, 2016, 01:01:26 AM »
Simply wonderful!   :cartwheel:

Offline metalmad

• Australia Skype - metalmad11
« Reply #748 on: September 19, 2016, 02:26:10 AM »
I would think a very high degree of self Chuffedness is mandatory in the circumstances Ramon.
So say all of us!!
Pete
A little bit every day, sometimes the same little bit

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #749 on: September 19, 2016, 04:36:19 AM »
My most heartfelt congratulation on completing the project, Ramon!! It's absolutely marvelous seeing you, your lovely wife, and your friends gathered for such a momentous occasion.

Here is to you and your future. I hope you will check in routinely and let us know what you are up to and provide some commentary and insight for us.

:cheers:   :cheers:   :'(

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal