Author Topic: 'WIDE A WAKE' a steam launch tale  (Read 236310 times)

Offline K.B.C

Re: 'WIDE A WAKE' a steam launch tale
« Reply #705 on: August 26, 2016, 11:09:57 PM »
Jason - that was the original intention until I realised that the two lay shaft levers were fixed in position (pinned and loctited - Ha, what was that precept of never making anything that could not be taken apart  ::). To get a pivoting bush in the 5mm gap would not have been possible without drilling across the push rod hole somewhat defeating the principle.

Thanks for your comments guys - glad that even something mundane like servo installation has been of interest  ;)

Back soon - Ramon

Hi Ramon,
Did you use the Steel geared high torque servo, I used one on my D10 which completely did away with the vibration of the layshaft lever without the use of a Servo saver with no adverse effect on the servo.

Very neat installation looking forward to Launch day, have the invitations been sent out yet.

George.
Your never too old to learn.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #706 on: August 27, 2016, 05:47:38 PM »
Hi George - I did get a Hitec high torque servo out to fit but decided to try a standard servo first as the movement seemed so easy. I'll see how it goes and keep the HT version in reserve.

The new plan is for the launch to take place on the 17th - it was the 10th but our friends Peter and Ros can't make it. Peter has taken a keen interest in the boat since it's inception. You are cordially invited George but it's a long drive so will understand if you decline  ;). Today the wife of one of our yachting members presented me with some bunting she has made for it so it has to happen now :)

It will be a red letter weekend too as my Sue retires on the 16th  :) :)

Regards - Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #707 on: September 11, 2016, 09:01:51 PM »
Hi Guys

Well, I'm really pleased to be able to tell you that this particular journey is well and truly over  :) I made the very last thing tonight - oh yes indeed-y  ;D,

Thank goodness (or perhaps something very similar) for that I hear you say  ;D

Last few days has seen the pseudo locker made to cover the throttle servo. This was built from 1/16 birch plywoood then 'veneered' with 1/32 mahogany sheet. Incidentally a good friend provided not one but four lovely Futaba mini servos (thanks Alan  :ThumbsUp:) so the micro one was swapped out which meant an all new mount and only just being able to get it under said locker. The outlet 'ventilation' hole had to be enlarged somewhat to accommodate the new servo rod position which then looked out of place on it's own so the second is for symmetry - well overscale but I'll have to live with it.

Next up were some floorboards for the after well. Made from Bass wood the dummy bolt hole plugs were done using cocktail sticks, glued in then pared off flush.

A box cover was made for the rudder linkage and the top finished as per the deck - lime planks and card caulking. Also made from ply with a 'veneer' outer.

I really enjoyed making these two 'cosmetic' parts - Though it looks little more than a dowel I did in fact 'turn' the boat hook shaft from 3/8 square lime using the self centering four jaw and doing a short piece at a time. Finally finishing off with a mill file and fine abrasive paper I was well pleased to see it come out straight and even :o The anchor parts were turned from nickel silver, silver soldered together then 'rough'filed in an attempt to give it a forged look.

And this little part, a ring for the anchor line, is the most significant of all for it is indeed the very last part of the project  :D

Today I made a trolley on which to transport it - it's not so much heavy (though heavy enough) as awkward so that will be a big help.
Last of all is to make a nice display stand for indoors where it will live post launching. For that I have these two really nice pieces of timber from my good and well meaning friend Peter - Thanks 'Barney' most generous of you  :ThumbsUp:

Tomorrow, if the weather is suitable, I shall get it outside and take some all round pics of it in better light but apart from that and one or two pics from next Saturdays wetting that, I'm afraid, is it.

Regards - Ramon
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 10:09:48 PM by Ramon »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #708 on: September 11, 2016, 09:43:25 PM »
Pay no attention to the servo behind the curtain!   :Lol:

Its been an awesome build, looking forward to seeing it go!!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #709 on: September 12, 2016, 01:01:09 AM »
Sad to see it end Ramon, but still looking forward to seeing the maiden run!! Well done on all the finishing and cosmetic bits too!!

Bill

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #710 on: September 12, 2016, 01:51:28 AM »
Oh, it's not over yet. The dry run, the launch, sea trials, debugging, sea trials, clean up, display..... Another run.....

Over? Not hardly!!   :ROFL:

:cheers:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #711 on: September 12, 2016, 06:33:11 AM »
Hi Ramon,
 Oh no it can't be over! I'm with Pete, once you have her running sweet I'm sure that there are many here who would like an update occasionally.
Thank you for taking us along on this joinery!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #712 on: September 12, 2016, 12:39:52 PM »
Looks good Ramon though I thought you might have gone the whole hog and sourced some cotton braided servo wires ;)

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #713 on: September 12, 2016, 09:45:15 PM »
A fantastic and very enjoyable journey is coming to the end for us following it  :praise2:

I haven't commented as I had nothing to ask nor contribute - I will miss this saga, but I can hope that you go back to more diesels  ;)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #714 on: September 12, 2016, 11:25:07 PM »
Are you going to follow up this awesome build with one of the big steam yacht that this launch takes passengers out to?!   :ThumbsUp:

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #715 on: September 12, 2016, 11:25:55 PM »
Hi Guys

Well, today seemed very strange with nothing much to do save having a dry run in getting it into (and out of) the car (easier than anticipated) and a good clean up in the workshop.

Some chain and rope arrived for the anchor but the rope looked over scale. I've pressed some rather loosely wound  ship-model rope into service whilst some smaller section rope wings its way from Serbia of all places - amazing what Ebay has to offer.

Anyway - as promised a few pics of various parts of the boat taken out in the late afternoon sunshine - I'll let them do the talkin'

Well, I'm really sorry if it disappoints folks but that really is 'journeys end' on this build. To put that into perspective, you've had 420 images posted not to mention the text. With several photos taken per image posted, the selection of those alone adds up to a fair input of time. I was determined to see the job through but have to tell you I feel quite jaded and fully justified in saying 'I'm plumb tuckered out' with posting - I hope that will be appreciated.

A sincere thanks to all who found time to comment and make such kind remarks over the three years this has been running. A special thanks to George (K.B.C.) - and an even bigger thanks to Sandy (SandCam) for the phenomenal work he did on the boiler design and calculations. Thanks too, to Gill (Model Steam's wife) for making the fenders that finally finished it off today not to mention of course my good wife Sue who has put up with my disappearances in the workshop with her usual good natured tolerance to my modelling ventures.

Everything is ready for Saturday - even the weather forecast looks reasonable. I will come back with some pics of the launching

but for this thread I have to say - C'est Finis

Regards - Ramon

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #716 on: September 13, 2016, 12:15:35 AM »
Ramon,

I'm Speechless, if not wordless :NotWorthy: :NotWorthy: :praise2: :NotWorthy: :praise2: :NotWorthy: :NotWorthy: .

Kind Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #717 on: September 13, 2016, 12:46:21 AM »
It's gorgeous Ramon. Just amazing!!!

Bill

Offline bruedney

• Wellington, New Zealand
« Reply #718 on: September 13, 2016, 12:58:58 AM »
If we had a model of the month section this would win hands down for a year.

Awesome simply awesome  :praise2: :praise2: :NotWorthy: :NotWorthy:

Cheers

Bruce
‘Results! Why man, I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won’t work.’ — Thomas Alva Edison

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #719 on: September 13, 2016, 03:20:03 AM »
Ramon,

Count me among the "totally blow away" by your project!  :ThumbsUp:

I'm looking forward to the launch pictures.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal