Author Topic: Parsell & Weed Vertical Engine at 1/3-scale  (Read 4793 times)

Offline littlelocos

Parsell & Weed Vertical Engine at 1/3-scale
« on: August 06, 2014, 02:52:21 AM »
Hello All,
Over the next several months I will be working on a prototype model of the Parsell & Weed gas engine of "Gas Engine Construction" fame. This is a model that I've been interested in for 20+ years (since it was first offered) and was able to acquire the patterns, CADD files, and production rights about 1-1/2 years ago.  I worked on the horizontal prototype last Spring before getting distracted on a milling machine restoration project followed by an obsession with hot air (Stirling) engines.

Now I'm back to work on completing the vertical prototype of the Parsell & Weed. This one's promised to the original designer. I hope to finish a pair for myself next Spring.

See the attached photo for the first afternoon's progress.

Alignment of the casting in the four-jaw chuck is trickier than you may think.  Many flywheel castings are neither flat, nor round.  This set is pretty good; however, I still ended up spending about 1/2-hour before I was satisfied enough to take the first cut.  Even though I'm building this one for someone else (and need to finish by Christmas), I'm still determined to take my time, enjoy the project, and do the best job I can.

Enjoy,
Todd.

Littlelocos Model Engineering
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 02:59:09 AM by littlelocos »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Parsell & Weed Vertical Engine at 1/3-scale
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 05:52:49 AM »
Todd, I don't know this engine. Do you have a General arrangement or photo of one of the engines that you could post so that myself and others know what you are trying to build.

Thanks Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 07:37:49 AM »
To save keeping you in suspence.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 02:37:25 PM »
What an interesting engine!!  The center crank arrangement between two closely spaced flywheels reminds me a bit of Philip Duclos Odd 'n Ends engine, though this one is vertical of course.  The cylinder does look a bit precarious though supported only by those two vertical rods. If patterned after a prototype though, I have to assume it worked. I will enjoy following along Todd.

Bill

Offline littlelocos

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 03:41:39 AM »
Hello Bill,
Believe it or not, Misters Parsell & Weed had a patent on their unique engine configuration.  Reference US Patent 33087 dated 1900.
See:  http://www.google.com/patents/USD33087

It states:  The leading feature of our design consists in an engine-frame having a base with upwardly-tapering pyramidal bodies at each end and a depressed central portion, parallel longitudinal cylindrical rods extending from the top of one of said bodies to the other.

The idea was to remove the forces of the explosions from the engine base by carrying those forces through the outer, side rods; therefore, the idea of sticking the cylinder out there supported ONLY by the rods wasn't too far of a stretch.  The bearing stands and rods were made a bit heavier.  The vertical base is basically the back half of the vertical base only a bit wider.

The vertical engine didn't show up until the 1905, 2nd edition of their book "Gas Engine Construction" which can be found here:
http://books.google.com/books?id=pbdfmgEACAAJ

Enjoy,
Todd.

p.s.  I hope to finish the flywheels and start on the base this weekend.

Offline littlelocos

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 03:44:26 AM »
Thanks Jason.

To save keeping you in suspence.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 12:09:43 PM »
Interesting book Todd...I have added it to my google library.  Thanks for the link.

Bill

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 05:02:26 PM »
For those interested, here is a video of nice 3/4 scale Parsell & Weed vertical engine running.  Got quite a snap when it fires.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLsEo_prJ4E" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLsEo_prJ4E</a>

The governor apparently works off inertia rather than the typical centrifugal governors...

Chuck
So many projects, so little time...

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 06:29:39 PM »
Thank you for posting that Chuck  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:

Inertia governors were quite common on full size engines as there were fewer moving parts.
Best regards

Roger

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal