Author Topic: 1/2" Micrometer  (Read 5162 times)

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
1/2" Micrometer
« on: December 04, 2013, 07:32:41 PM »
It was our clubs auction night last night, where members donate unwanted item to be auctioned off for club funds. As the action was coming to an end a lot of miscellaneous item came under the item there were all sorts of bits of bobs in it that included sealing wax and a 1/2" micrometre,  now 1/2" mics are unusual I have only come across one before that belonged to an old work colleague, he kept it in his draw using it from time to time as the need arose, knowing he had it I also borrowed it, there was something real sweet about it  just sat in your hand. Before a could cuck in a bid someone piped up I'll give you £4 quid was the wax, bang sold, so I asked the buyer if he would sell me the mic, no I won't sell it i'll give it you he said and handed it to me, so in the sprit of the occasion I put £1 into the pop.

It was made by a firm called ROBBLAK (never heard of them) it has a previous owners name lightly engraved in it G.Haris. and on the other face its stamped up as FOREIGN No 502 and it has a company calibration reference number etched 4D

When I got it home I stripped down and stuck the parts in my ultrasonic cleaner to get rid of the gunk, I then put it back together zeroed it up checked it across its range with slips it was spot on the locking ring works and the ratchet was nice and sweet. It now sits on my desk where I find myself handing and as a kind of comforter  :Love:. Its a real nice bit of kit to just hold:- yes I know I'm a sad old bastard but I just love tools

Stew

A little bit of clearance never got in the way

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
Re: 1/2" Micrometer
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 07:37:32 PM »
Nice one Stew! I have a sweet little 10mm micrometer here (eBay buy) that I feel much the same about.
The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 07:45:17 PM »
Well, you sad old old bastard, I'll join right in with ya. My 1/2" Starrett is me go to in anything less than a 1/2", which is 90% of me turnings or fixins. I hold in my hands and kinda play with it instead smoking so many damn fags. :LittleDevil:

Whiskey

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 08:23:39 PM »
I have two, 0.5 & 0.6", and I use them frequently, most commonly when a part feature precludes the use of a larger mic.

As to fondling them, well, they have drugs to deal with such behavior now.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 11:59:18 PM »
I have a 0-.6 in one from littlemachineshop . nice little import.
Tin

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 01:18:26 AM »
Nice find Stew... have heard of them but never seen or used one. The price sure was right too !!!

Bill

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 01:54:17 AM »
It was our clubs auction night last night, where members donate unwanted item to be auctioned off for club funds. As the action was coming to an end a lot of miscellaneous item came under the item there were all sorts of bits of bobs in it that included sealing wax and a 1/2" micrometre,  now 1/2" mics are unusual I have only come across one before that belonged to an old work colleague, he kept it in his draw using it from time to time as the need arose, knowing he had it I also borrowed it, there was something real sweet about it  just sat in your hand. Before a could cuck in a bid someone piped up I'll give you £4 quid was the wax, bang sold, so I asked the buyer if he would sell me the mic, no I won't sell it i'll give it you he said and handed it to me, so in the sprit of the occasion I put £1 into the pop.

It was made by a firm called ROBBLAK (never heard of them) it has a previous owners name lightly engraved in it G.Haris. and on the other face its stamped up as FOREIGN No 502 and it has a company calibration reference number etched 4D

When I got it home I stripped down and stuck the parts in my ultrasonic cleaner to get rid of the gunk, I then put it back together zeroed it up checked it across its range with slips it was spot on the locking ring works and the ratchet was nice and sweet. It now sits on my desk where I find myself handing and as a kind of comforter  :Love:. Its a real nice bit of kit to just hold:- yes I know I'm a sad old bastard but I just love tools

Stew

Stew...there is a comfort and joy in just holding a nice tool....I understand!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline IanR

• Derby, UK
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 11:43:20 AM »
I've never heard of a 1/2" mike, by any maker, you learn something every day on this site.
Robblak were Roberts, Black and Co., 19-21 Brazennose St. Manchester 2. They were advertising a hand shaper which looks like a pre Great War design in ME in 1950.

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 04:06:43 PM »
I have two, 0.5 & 0.6", and I use them frequently, most commonly when a part feature precludes the use of a larger mic.

As to fondling them, well, they have drugs to deal with such behavior now.

Which comes first the fondling or the drugs  :Jester:

I've never heard of a 1/2" mike, by any maker, you learn something every day on this site.
Robblak were Roberts, Black and Co., 19-21 Brazennose St. Manchester 2. They were advertising a hand shaper which looks like a pre Great War design in ME in 1950.

Thanks for the information Ian:- but I'm stilled puzzled why it was stamped FORIGN with them being a Manchester firm unless they bought it in for use on their shop floor and marked it up to stop it wondering.

Thanks for you interest and understanding Guys

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the way

Offline gmac

• British Columbia Canada
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 07:34:54 PM »
Stew;
Now I want one....! Good story. I got exposed to a similar kindness when I was in university. On a co-op work term with a Firestone owned company that manufactured seatbelt systems for all and sundry. I was getting into the habit of setting aside a bit of my earnings to buy tools but hadn't been buying measuring tools. I was pestering the old German tool and die makers with questions about their craft and about what to buy. They recommended Etalon but no such tool could be found in the industrial suppliers I knew off. On my last day they had me paged from the engineering office to the shop floor. The group of them were standing there with cheeky looks on their faces. We said our goodbyes and they handed me a small package. A one inch, high accuracy Etalon micrometer. I have it still and always will. It sees very little use, but that's only because it's far too precious to me. I can't forget those old guys, so Stew - fondle away!

Cheers Garry

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal