Author Topic: INSTALL A VFD TO GRIZZLY G3103 MILL  (Read 4569 times)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
INSTALL A VFD TO GRIZZLY G3103 MILL
« on: December 04, 2013, 03:38:19 AM »
Well finally getting around to install my VFD on my mill. Eric this write up is mostly for you my brother since I know you have the same mill.
I start out by stripping the wiring from the old motor which was a single phase motor and installing a 3 phase one in its place. The motor was the same HP 1.5HP TEFC motor and the mounting was very close but I had to ream the foot hole some to get the bolts to start. The pulley also did not fit. So I chucked it in the four jaw chuck and cut it to .875 same as the shaft and trimmed the motor key to fit the pulley key slot. I used a 10 conductor beldon cable with shield to wire the pendant with and controls to the VFD. The whole assembly was mounted on to a Din Rail and all wired up before I install it inside the bottom compartment of the mill. The assembly was mounted all the way to the back side of the compartment towards the top to keep it clear of things should I put tools inside It, and give it more clearance to push the cable through the upper opening to the back terminal strip.

This first photo is all the parts need to do the modification with except the cables and wires.

I also had to add a 240VAC 20 amp single phase receptacle since I have a 1.5HP motor the VFD needed higher voltage to operate.

Starting to wire the main power leads to the contactor. I use the contactor for estopping the VFD by removing power to it. For securing it when I leave and just safety because the control circuit can become non operational and you wouldn't be able to turn it off.

Wiring in the pendant control circuit. This has three wire for the control pot, three wires for the Fwd and Rev selector switch and two wire for the ESTOP pushbutton. The Estop will be wired in series with the Top pulley cover switch. This wire actually goes to the motor Jbox and makes its way through the motor cable flex then to the pendant. The motor leads that existed had four wires two black and two reds. You can strip one of the red lead out.

In this photo I am showing the Estop cable which are the Violet and green wire in the Beldon 10 conductor cable. I solder a wire to the green and the violet to the contact coil. Then added a white wire to the opposite contact coil circuit. This puts the Estop wires in series with the power coming in to control the contactor with the Estop.

The assembly after wiring up now its ready to install into the bottom cabinet of the mill.

This photo shows it mounted to the back side of the compartment.

A photo of the terminal strip, transformer and circuit breakers. One circuit breaker is for the motor and the other is for the transformer. The transformer is use for the light and is 24VAC output with dual voltage input. We will use this 24VAC to control the contactor coil. So the white wire and the green wire to the Estop will connect to the transformer output.

The existing pendant is now removed with all wires and we used one wire to pull the beldon multi conductor control cable through.

The new pendant box and new cable ready to wire.

The pendant all wired and complete.

This photo is the terminal strip where the power cable tied to and do you thing I was going to have problems.

A photo of the VFD basic connection.

The parameter list and you can see the ones I have changed to make the remote pendant work.

Signal terminal sheet.

Motor power terminals.

I haven't had time to do a drawing yet but I will post it when I have it done.
If you have any question you can PM me and I will try to help you any way I can.
I will also add a step to change the parameters with.

Thanks for looking .
Don

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: INSTALL A VFD TO GRIZZLY G3103 MILL
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 04:09:49 AM »
Now we need to know how and where to enter the values into the drive. I am attaching the sheets in JPEG and a complied PDF for those who are interested.
In order to see the Function code in the display I will give a sequence to follow:
1.   Push the DSP/FUN key to see the Function block.
2.   Use the up and down arrow keys to select the function block you wish to change (such as F05 the 5 will scroll with the arrow keys).
3.   Press the Data/ENT key to be able to change the value.
4.   Use the up and down arrow keys to change the value.
5.   Press the Data/ENT key to accept the value. (The display should say End)
6.   Press the DSP/FUN key to return to Display mode. (by the way display mode shows the Frequency you control 0-60 or 0-50 which ever is selected).
If you look at the attached sheets.  I have marked them to show what I will be changing, yours may vary. I try to point out what is being used and not being used.
 On the Parameter function sheet, function code F02 Deceleration time I change in the factory default block I change 5 sec to 2 sec..
 In function code F04 we change the 000 code to 002, this is because we a using external controls, the TM2 terminal is on the signal terminal sheet.
 In Function code F05 we change from 000 the up/down key pad to 002 this is the analog input from TM2 which will be 0-10vdc from pot to control the frequency drive.
Function F06 is set for 000 fwd stop and reverse stop ( this is for our selector switch two position and is set.
Now if you look at Function F11 and F12 this is our selector switch input for fwd and reverse and is already set, as is F16 is set to  (0 to 10V). We will accept all the rest of the factory defaults setting
ONE WORD OF CAUTION:
 Make sure all power is secure before disconnecting or reconnecting any wires. Insure all equipment is properly grounded and all penetrations have proper through connectors. And please guys for your sake and ours, be careful when dealing with electricity you don’t get to many second chances. If in doubt call an electrician.
I hope some of you find this information valuable and if you do proceed to install one and need help just PM me.

I haven’t had a chance to draw the diagram for my set up yet but I will post it when complete for anyone interested in it.

The sheets are listed as follow:
1.   The connection diagram for the power terminal.
2.   The Signal terminal points.
3.   Wiring diagram for the VFD.
4.   Parameter list.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 08:29:04 AM »
Interesting your inverter is using the more normal 10K pot for speed control. The Inverter I fitted to Sexy showed a 1K 2W pot on the speed control, which is what she is now fitted with.

I hope that you have more luck programming your VFD  ;).

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 02:39:10 AM »
Hi Jo, yes different manufactures use different ohm values,

I have the diagram for the VFD wiring. Its in PDF as a 11x17 sheet and AutoCAD DWG format for anyone who has a cad program.

Regards Don
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 02:48:32 AM by Don1966 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal