Author Topic: Galloway Castings  (Read 22322 times)

PatJ

Re: Galloway Castings
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2013, 06:43:52 AM »
And here is the water hopper core.
The gray part on the bottom actually needs to be a rectangle, but you get the idea.

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2013, 09:09:47 AM »
Some nice progress Pat, you've been busy

Steve

PatJ

« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2013, 10:40:30 AM »
Thanks Steve, insomnia works wonders for modeling.

Here are the piston and cylinder head cores.

It is difficult to get a clear idea of how to make the core box without looking at the core first.
And if you had asked me what the cores would have looked like beforehand, I would generally not could have guessed some of these shapes, although I have seen a piston core, which looks like one of the old pole line insulators.

Core prints for the cylinder head core are in purple.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 10:44:44 AM by PatJ »

PatJ

« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2013, 10:46:35 AM »
And here is the piston again for comparison with the above core.
The Galloway piston has a rib across the top on the inside.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2013, 01:15:55 AM »
Hi Jason,
I was intrigued with your flywheel construction problems so this evening I had a little bit of time to play with it in my Cad program. I drew the hub, extruded it,  then the spoke profile as an ellipse and extruded it but only halfway to the rim with one draft angle. I then extruded from the end of the spoke ellipse to the rim with another draft angle. I then did an array of the spokes. Now I tried to fillet it, I tried edges, I tried faces, I changed radius sizes but with no luck. What I ended up doing was putting a fillet between each of the spokes first. Once this was done I could lay a fillet all the way around the edges. I'll try and post a picture of my screen shot but I'm not sure how it will come out.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

PatJ

« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2013, 05:18:15 AM »
Here are the intake and exhaust springs, and the forked arm for the old style single-weight governor system with the arm hinged at the front towards the cylinder head.

I drew the arm twice, and got the axis mixed up the first time.
Jason pointed out that I neglected to thin out the fork, but I can do that easily enough.

That forked arm is sort of a dyslexic's nightmare, but I think I got it.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2013, 07:37:21 AM »
You also need a slot for the pivot not a hole.

PatJ

« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2013, 08:24:12 AM »
Thanks Jason, I could not see that in the old Galloway parts list, or the photos I have, but you are right, looking down on that forked arm, it will need to get slightly longer as it changes planes.

I did notice it on the rocker arm for the exhaust valve, and could see it in the motion study of that part, and noticed that the slot can only go one way.

PatJ

« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2013, 09:45:44 AM »
Hi Jason,
I was intrigued with your flywheel construction problems so this evening I had a little bit of time to play with it in my Cad program. I drew the hub, extruded it,  then the spoke profile as an ellipse and extruded it but only halfway to the rim with one draft angle. I then extruded from the end of the spoke ellipse to the rim with another draft angle. I then did an array of the spokes. Now I tried to fillet it, I tried edges, I tried faces, I changed radius sizes but with no luck. What I ended up doing was putting a fillet between each of the spokes first. Once this was done I could lay a fillet all the way around the edges. I'll try and post a picture of my screen shot but I'm not sure how it will come out.
gbritnell

That looks pretty nice to me, and authentic too.

PatJ

« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2013, 09:47:52 AM »
Jason-

Are you using the little spring shown in the photo, at the red arrow?

PatJ

« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2013, 09:49:21 AM »
And a revised forked governor arm.
I will add the slot when I can size it exactly.

PatJ

« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2013, 10:01:38 AM »
The beginning of an exploded view, and the latest assembly.

I would like to have an exploded view for each sub-assembly such as fuel system, valve gear, governor system, etc.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2013, 01:24:56 PM »
Yes Pat the spring will go in once I gave established the exact position of things then I can drill the small pocket in the rod to suit

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal