Author Topic: At the track.  (Read 285914 times)

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
Re: At the track.
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2013, 01:12:54 AM »
The young man was really tearing it up out there!
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2013, 01:15:05 AM »
Oh Steve...he was driving POSSESSED in the A main....but he had control....he knew what he was doing...and didn't over drive it or himself....I'm very proud of him!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2013, 01:25:12 AM »
Thanks for the video Dave and congrats to your son for his obviously fine showing in competition. Probably had some of the older guys scratching their head wondering how they got bettered on the track!!

Bill

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2013, 01:30:29 AM »
Thanks Bill!....I think so!.... though the vast majority of them where very supportive....He really got thrown into the deep end of the pool today...and came up swimming!

Bob, the from spindle carriers are getting worn on the pin holes....This week I'll take them down ( they're $40 bucks EACH new)
I'll set them up, bore them and rebush them with brass bushings.....so yes....we'll make it better in the shop first if possible...instead of the wallet....

though....that set of tires/wheels above.....$100!.....though they do hook up great!.....and yes....everyone else was running them too!...

Dave

Damned ijjit!

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2013, 01:40:26 AM »
Dave-

A very big congratulations to William!!!   :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:  That is an amazing first outing.  I can assume with great certainty that the both of you now have the disease.  Are you going to get a second job to finance this new addiction?  It sounds like he has the discipline and brains to very well at this.  Once again, a very big congratulations to William. 

I showed my son, who is also ten, the video and explained to him that your son is 10 and was racing against guys my age.  The look on my son's face said it all.  To say he was very impressed is an understatement.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline 90LX_Notch

• YouTube Channel
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2013, 01:54:50 AM »

Bob, the from spindle carriers are getting worn on the pin holes....This week I'll take them down ( they're $40 bucks EACH new)
I'll set them up, bore them and rebush them with brass bushings.....so yes....we'll make it better in the shop first if possible...instead of the wallet....

Dave

No, no Dave!  You are building race parts now.  Exotic materials man!!  Not brass.  Think: titanium, carbon fiber.... :mischief:  This isn't some steam engine!  You are about to enter a crazy world.  The devil is in the details.  You'll be cutting all the "extra" threads from every screw on the truck to save that last micro ounce so that you can shift that weight over one of the tires. :o

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2013, 02:15:16 AM »
Nice job you two!

Enjoyed the the video.

Dave

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2013, 04:19:27 AM »
OooHooooo YES

Us Gerry and the Hat Tricks really have a "Need for Speed" (especially when nature calls).

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2013, 10:08:54 AM »
Very Well Done Indeed!!!

It just shows what can be done by learning how to set up a car with the power actually going to the track!

Cheers

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2013, 10:13:30 AM »
Thanks Tom!....but as Crew Chief and Master Mechanic .....I gotta give it up to William....I can't drive that car like he can...not even close!

I think we make a pretty good team!......now we just need a sponsor! :lolb:

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2013, 10:33:28 AM »
A great day was had by all by the sound (and look) of it! Well done! :ThumbsUp:
The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2013, 10:34:51 AM »

Dave

No, no Dave!  You are building race parts now.  Exotic materials man!!  Not brass.  Think: titanium, carbon fiber.... :mischief:  This isn't some steam engine!  You are about to enter a crazy world.  The devil is in the details.  You'll be cutting all the "extra" threads from every screw on the truck to save that last micro ounce so that you can shift that weight over one of the tires. :o

-Bob

Bob....when I was a kid, I "crewed" on a bracket racer at the local dragstrip....57 Chevy...454 big block...3 speed auto..reverse pattern shifter.....put some fiberglass parts on the nose...but for the most part....it was a 57 Chevy!

Here's how the runs on any given day would go

10.02 sec

Come to the pits ....use a garden sprayer to cool down the radiator...wax a fender.

Come to the pits.....use a garden sprayer to cool down the radiator...wax the other fender.

Come to the pits....use a garden sprayer to cool down the radiator ...look for something else to wax...

8)
The trick to it .....is lots of power...lightly burdened......getting to the track
With the beating these things take....I'll put a bronze bushing in there....hell the next lap it may be ripped off completely anyway! :lolb:  Keep it simple!

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2013, 12:01:52 PM »
Dave, one thing that I used to do after every day at the track ... take out all bearings and set the flat in a shallow tray of oil. Leave overnight or for a day or two if you can. You would be amazed at the dirt that will be in a lovely little ring under the bearing when you take them out of the oil.

You are totally right ... just when the vehicle is tuned to perfection ... someone that can't drive as well will destroy all your good work.

Cheers,

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline 90LX_Notch

• YouTube Channel
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2013, 12:10:52 PM »
Dave-

I was exaggerating about the materials; but, at some point that will be what your thought process becomes.  Bracket "racing" (not really racing in my opinion) is not a good analogy for your situation.  In that, you're basically racing yourself as consistently as you can.  What your doing is all out competition.  At some point the ability to save weight in order to add it elsewhere will come into play just so the truck will pickup a zillionth of a second out of turn.  And at that point, it will be the difference for 1st for the season championship. :ThumbsUp:

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2013, 12:59:41 PM »
I hear ya Bob.....but we're no where near that yet.    Right now...it's the hands...it' all about the hands.....as he progresses though...the equipment will have a big bearing on it...but you have to finish to win...and these tracks are really hard on suspensions, shocks and bodies.

Dave

PS hard steel bushings would have less friction now wouldn't they!....  8)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 05:26:49 PM by steamer »
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal