Author Topic: Just Another Model steam Engine  (Read 18508 times)

Offline Jack

Just Another Model steam Engine
« on: July 25, 2012, 04:04:44 AM »
I found a little time to get in out of the heat (its been over 100 degrees for the past couple of weeks in the midwest) and into the basement shop to work on my latest steam engine project.

I have made most of the easy parts so far, I think that I should be able to start the valve and reversing gear next week. I'll keep you all up to date with pics as I go. Stay tuned..

Does anyone know how or what to use to watermark my pictures on an older Mac?  Think 10.4 I would like to protect my pictures and intellectual property.

Jack

Troutsqueezer

Re: Just Another Model steam Engine
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 05:01:42 AM »
I think your thread title should be "Hey! It's Another Model Steam Engine!" because that is a fine example you've got going there, Sir. Don't forget this is a forum where there is no such thing as "just another steam engine".  :old:

Bogstandard

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 07:20:04 AM »
Jack,

I have to agree with Dennis.

Every little (or large) engine we build is precious to the person who built it, no matter how mundane the subject.

You've making a wonderful job of this one. :cheers:

John

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 07:26:40 AM »
Engine Looking Great Jack

To add a water mark and size you're pictures you need to down load "faststone photo resizer" to your computer just do a google search, to find the free down load, its easy to use.

http://download.cnet.com/FastStone-Photo-Resizer/3000-2192_4-10319476.html

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the way

Offline Jack

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 03:52:49 AM »
I had a good day in the shop today and the part of the day is the valve chest cover. I just happened to have a small piece of cast iron that I milled to the correct thickness plus a little.  I used my mini CNC mill to cut the Initial into the front side.

Then I used my mill to cut it to size, and then used the surface grinder to pretty up the face. Then back to the mill to drill all the holes.

Bippity Boppity Boo...  the valve chest cover is done and mounted and looks like it belongs there.

Thats enough for today. :whoohoo:

OK now I'm just showing off...

Jack

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 08:00:26 AM »
Nice Jack

Is your surface grinder manual or hydraulic?

Steve

Offline Jack

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 12:20:34 PM »
I got the surface grinder about six months ago, its a Harig 6x12 that I got from a mold making shop that had gone out of business.

It has to be turned back and forth with the big hand wheel on the left while the smaller hand wheel on the right makes the table go in and out, and the crank at the top brings the wheel down a tiny little bit at a time.

It has a pump which forces oil onto all the ways which are rollers that I had to replace because the motor was burned out, its a 3 phase motor rig so that forced me to get a phase converter which enabled me to pick up a old bridgeport mill, but thats another story.

Jack

chuck foster

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 12:36:59 PM »
i like your idea of "just another model steam engine"

that sir is a great looking model steam engine!!!!!

chuck

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 01:24:48 PM »
Lovely engine Jack....is that one of Ray Hasbrouck's designs?

Bill

Offline Jack

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 01:52:59 PM »
Hi Bill
Thanks for the compliment, YES its a Hasbrouck #10 but I am building it half size. Or maybe "Half As!#@" because I am not a real machinist but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.
I started to explain my building on that other site but since I am finished over there and by the way, I am banned on Nelsons site. I will have to start over here.

Jack

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 07:54:52 PM »
Really like the look of this engine Jack  :ThumbsUp:

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 11:50:03 PM »
Thanks for showing the picture of your grinder Jack, looks like a great little machine

Steve

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 01:00:37 AM »
So is that a capital 'D' for Jack??? :Jester:

I like the looks of that engine Jack, very robust in nature.

BC1
Jim

Offline Jack

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 05:58:41 AM »
Jack is my nickname not the name that the I.R.S. uses, and the "D" stand for my last name which is Dolde and I have had that name for almost 66 years.

Today the part of the day is the valve which goes inside of the valve chest. I started with a small chunk of cast iron which in its former life was part of an old upright piano. After I squared it up I started to make the valve which involved making several small cuts and then a pocket on the back side and then a couple of angle cuts on the edges.

I am proud of this little part but it did take me about 4 hours to make, but hey the one thing that I have plenty of is time. I am shooting to get this engine finished in about 2 more months, just in time to start another Fall-Winter project.

Jack  :pics:

Offline Jack

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2012, 04:27:06 PM »
I finished the internal valve parts and linkage today, now we're getting to the small tricky stuff. SO MANY more parts to make...

This is turning out to be a fun little project :cheers:

Jack

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal