Author Topic: Unimat on the tool post  (Read 3508 times)

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
Unimat on the tool post
« on: November 27, 2013, 05:52:02 PM »
I have often thought about mounting my Unimat SL on my 9x20 lathe for use as a tool post grinder, but then I really don't need a tool post grinder.  The recent post on milling threads got me thinking again.  There might be lots of other ways to use this setup but one thing that has kept me from doing it is the need for rigidity in a setup like this.  The Unimat vertical post is 25mm OD and when mounted in the Unimat base, it is set in a matching hole and locked by a single set screw.  It seem rigid enough it practice but I have always felt that there should be a better way.

Plane geometry tells me that if one circle is tangent to the inside of another circle, there is a single point of contact. Solid geometry shows that a cylinder tangent to the inside of a bore has a single line of contact.  A press fit or an interference fit is the only way to provide full 360° contact. I think, I could be wrong.  But if the fit is loose enough to drop in, it is loose and the set screw is a half a$$ed fix, providing only 2 point contact.

What it really needs is a three point contact.  That's why we use a V-block to hold a round shaft in a vise. 

The truth is I tried to bore a tight fit for the bar in a block of aluminum so I could do it the way Emco did it and I failed.  Sneaking up on the finished ID with my boring head, I missed it.  The bore went from to tight to to loose so I tried warming up the part with a stream of well directed curses but that failed as well so I closed up the shop and went home.

This morning I went back and drilled two 1/4" holes, tangent to the outside of the 25mm bore.  I then took the 25mm bore out to about 28mm.  Two pieces of 1/4" drill rod were dropped in the holes an another hole was drilled and tapped for a set screw.  Now the post is a rock solid mount.  It looks like this:

Now that it is mounted, I need to think about how it will be used.

Jerry
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
Re: Unimat on the tool post
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 08:34:06 PM »
Jerry,

That's a neat mounting.  If you've got indexing on your lathe mandrel then having a drill on the cross slide can be pretty useful.

Rod

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 08:49:22 PM »
In the past I used my Unimat 3 column on my Emcomat8.6 before I bought a mill. Its easy with the U3 as one end of the column is tapped M14x1 so can just be screwed onto an adaptor that fits a tee slot.

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 12:17:02 AM »
Jerry,

That's a neat mounting.  If you've got indexing on your lathe mandrel then having a drill on the cross slide can be pretty useful.

Rod

Thanks Rod.  I don't have indexing on the lathe spindle but I should be able to work something out.  It would be useful in lots of ways but maybe not all that necessary.  After all, I do have an X2 mill and I have an RT with dividing attachment.  This may turn out to be a 'just for the heck of it' exercise but it has paid of in an unexpected manner.

While checking the rigidity of the mounting bracket, I was able to feel and hear some movement.  It wasn't on the mounting block.  It wasn't in the cross slide gib.  It was in the saddle gib.  It went away if I locked the saddle but the correct fix meant adjusting the saddle gib.  I got all or most of the movement adjusted out and the saddle moves without noticeable drag, but I am not all that impressed with the design of the saddle gib adjustment.  There has to be a fix or a mod for this on the 9x20 lathe. 

Has anyone here done something about this?

Jerry
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 10:53:27 AM »
Hi Jerry

Twelve equi- spaced holes drilled in the periphery of your chuck back plate, and a simple sprung plunger mounted on the head stock, to index the chuck. This would enable you to sharpen end mills, slotting drills, angle cutters, T slot cutters, etc, having 2, 4, 6, or 12 teeth.
                                      Good luck   David

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal

Database Error

Please try again. If you come back to this error screen, report the error to an administrator.
Back