Author Topic: Sixis 101 House Mill  (Read 124421 times)

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Sixis 101 House Mill
« Reply #285 on: December 17, 2013, 04:28:29 PM »
The problem is Jo fell him even though he was a bit lacking in the tool department and wee all know she won't be satisfied until he has been endowed with tools that can do whatever she desires. :-[

J

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #286 on: December 17, 2013, 05:02:46 PM »
Male? A tiny Swiss mill that's a male! I can't believe it! Wait till it changes its mind a few times, and gets moody, then we'll see, and, wants more accessories, and demands more attention. :lolb:

:headscratch: He seems very sure of himself, and he has a way of making me want to spoil him but you won't hear me complaining about him demanding my attention, it is nice to know someone wants you and together we can share the pleasure of making little engines 

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #287 on: December 17, 2013, 05:20:23 PM »
Male? A tiny Swiss mill that's a male! I can't believe it! Wait till it changes its mind a few times, and gets moody, then we'll see, and, wants more accessories, and demands more attention. :lolb:

:headscratch: He seems very sure of himself, and he has a way of making me want to spoil him but you won't hear me complaining about him demanding my attention, it is nice to know someone wants you and together we can share the pleasure of making little engines 

Jo

On Brother :ShakeHead:

Let me know if you want me to do a sketch of the swivel table pattern for you.  Next week.....when I have a week off.. :whoohoo:

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #288 on: February 21, 2014, 06:14:13 PM »
 :embarassed: When you are in love then nothing is too good for the man in your life.

They arrived 7 days late  :facepalm2: but I hope he will be pleased when it is done.

Jo

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #289 on: February 21, 2014, 06:39:57 PM »
Yes definitely sexy!    Check them with a file first....

dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #290 on: February 21, 2014, 07:04:41 PM »
 8) I just have nice :ThumbsUp:

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #291 on: March 01, 2014, 06:06:21 PM »
Someone this morning reminded me about some castings  :ShakeHead: he is incorrigible  :naughty: so out I went and started squaring up the back plate for Sexy's tilting table:

These bits are rather big for my little mill  :o Especially the main bracket which I did manage to get one surface flat. For now a little progress, squaring up will be done  under power feed in parallel with making other things on the other machines. This is the set of parts for the table:

Except one part is currently in the jaws of the Colchester  :mischief:

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #292 on: September 23, 2014, 05:54:07 PM »
 :-[ Ok we have been having rumbles in the house  :shrug: Sexy does not appreciate that this:

Is an expensive Cowells indexing head  :ShakeHead: He has been hinting that this is much more to his liking:

This is my GHT Versatile Dividing head  :Love: and the indexer/micro adjuser and it is capable of creating angles down to 1/1000 of a degree  :o (Why you would need that accuracy I know not).

But the colour is wrong  :facepalm: and he would prefer if it had the option of a separate tailstock as well as the one that comes on the arm. And when he discovered that I had squirrelled away the iron castings for the basic dividing head, tailstock and the bracket on the indexing attachment it was only a matter of time  :shrug:

:headscratch: I thought he missed me sneaking the head and tailstock casting out for a clean up back in April, it did take a while to clean up some of the rust and get some clean surfaces:

And there it sat for a few months...

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #293 on: September 23, 2014, 06:00:17 PM »
It is so tempting to start boring the head and tailstock but this uses the same clamping arrangement as the UPT so you have to turn lots of bits of brass for the clamps, then there is going to be more ball handles, which of course are not all the same size as the UPT ones  :wallbang: and you have to make the bracket for the little tailstock support before you bore the castings:

And I also got to play with my Marlco knurling tool  :whoohoo:

Now it is time to drill for all the clamping holes and do an little bit of rounding using the mill:

Giving me two castings ready for boring:

Jo
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 08:52:31 PM by Jo »

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #294 on: September 23, 2014, 07:59:48 PM »
Dam! Girl your making headway. LOL......

:popcorn:

Don

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #295 on: September 23, 2014, 09:13:52 PM »
Thanks Don,

To bore the castings it is necessary to mount them on the saddle of the lathe. The VDH is designed to be clamped directly on a S7B lathe's saddle for boring but as my Prazimat has an extra 8mm of clearance over the saddle it was necessary to pack the castings. As I had already carefully centre popped the centres of the spindle on either side of the casting lining things up was a case of putting a centre in headstock and tail and just centring the casting;

Then drill through from the headstock:

Using a between centres boring bar bore the tailstock 15.8mm for the tailstock shaft I made earlier  :naughty:

Then set the main body casting up on the saddle and first bore the shaft on the side. this is the same diameter as the tailstock shaft so the boring bar if left is a perfect fit  :ThumbsUp: Then using what will become the tailstock support bar to confirm the centre of the main bore centre everything up:

And bore away. Unless like me you find a blow hole in your bore line :rant: Which then has to be cleaned out and filled with JB Weld and left for 24 hours  :toilet_claw:

So this evening I could finally finish boring the main dividing head  ;D. Sadly I cannot mount my boring head on the lathe so the next stage had to be done on the mill, so first find the centre of :

Then running the milling reverse  ;) mill the end for the banjo to fit the already bored banjo hole:

I was going to look at starting the spindle:

But  first I have to make the two nuts so that I have a gauge to be able to do my external thread cutting so that means the next job is cutting two internal threads  :paranoia:

Did I mention anything about being ganged up on :facepalm: I only had the castings to make the basic head and then one of the other fellas in my life turned up with a box of come in handies for Sexy:

Which is a second headstock dividing attachment for a Myford, except that unlike my original this one has the bits for the indexing attachment and the micro attachment, which also fits the VHD  8). All I am missing is the worm to go between it and the 60 tooth Myford change wheel that I purchased  :thinking:

Jo

Online sco

« Reply #296 on: September 23, 2014, 09:36:24 PM »
Not sure what the end result is going to be used for but it all looks very technical ;-)

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #297 on: September 23, 2014, 09:40:23 PM »
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 09:46:11 PM by Jo »

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #298 on: September 23, 2014, 09:41:35 PM »
Not sure what the end result is going to be used for but it all looks very technical ;-)

It's a machine that provides an affordable, equitable and non-controversial solution to the Midlothian question. It just needs the (3+j3) dimensional cams and voila...

It also has an optional attachment that makes Nether Heyford appear correctly on satnavs, but I don't think Jo has the bits for that

AS
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #299 on: September 23, 2014, 09:48:59 PM »
 :o I have just realised that Hemmingway now supply the kits for these without their excellent sets of drawings  :headscratch:

Jo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal